Pandora 2 and which OS?

What operating systems would you like to have on Pandora 2?

• I would like Linux running on it.

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • I would like Android running on it.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I wouldn't buy it without Linux support.

Votes: 67 63.2%
  • I wouldn't buy it without Android support.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I like both OSs to be supported.

Votes: 57 53.8%
  • I don't care about the OS.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Please be consistent and only support one OS. I don't like multiboot for running different games/app

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • I want Windows 8, so please lock down the device! I need my M$ spyware on the Pandora!! Besides, I n

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • So what? But Android is spying on me too!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

ashcloud

-- BANNED! -- Lactose Intolerant Volcano
Hehe, needed to start another one of those Pandora 2 spam threads ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
"I would like Linux running on it.", "I wouldn't buy it without Linux support.", and "I like both OSs to be supported.", for me. :p

EDIT: Just to add, before this thread really gets going: Let's try to avoid Holy Wars and Religious Issues here, folks. I'm sure someone will pop up to proclaim some stereotype about "Those <insert relevant OS here> people", and it will all end in tears. So let's not go there. ;)

I love how you classified Microsoft product as spyware, but didn't include Android in the spyware - after all, it has been documented that it records everything you do...

I love how you classified Microsoft product as spyware, but didn't include Android in the spyware - after all, it has been documented that it records everything you do...
That's how to companies implement Android on their devices, not the operating system itself .

EDIT: As far as I'm aware that goes for Windows too btw :)

That's how to companies implement Android on their devices, not the operating system itself .

Google includes their fair share of spyware too :p

Yeah, I exaggerated a little bit here. But more important is the lockdown I mentioned. Microsoft requires any Windows 8 ARM device to be totally locked up from the bootloader. That means you most likely won't be able to boot anything else. I don't really expect anyone seriously considering this option.

Edit: http://www.osnews.com/story/25507 explains the issue I mentioned.

Do you have anything to back this one up? I've never actually heard a reported case of Microsoft recording your keys. If you're going to throw accusations out, be prepared to back them up

Citation for Android: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/30/smartphone_spying_app/

Apparently iOS may also be running CarrierIQ too... pfft.

Personally, I don't really care which operating system I use. I currently find Windows easier to navigate and use, but there's plenty of options - Moving to a case-preserving case-insensitive file system would be a great move though ;)

Do you have anything to back this one up? I've never actually heard a reported case of Microsoft recording your keys. If you're going to throw accusations out, be prepared to back them up

Citation for Android: http://www.theregist...one_spying_app/

Apparently iOS may also be running CarrierIQ too... pfft.
Not a citation for watching your keys specifically, but here's one for what Microsoft has been doing with regard to watching users since it released Microsoft Windows XP.

You should be able to port iOS to the Pandora 2. And GNU Hurd. Actually I consider both a must.

Linux with an Android wrapper would be extremely awesome, too, though... :D

For me "I would like Linux running on it.", "I wouldn't buy it without Linux support." and "I like both OSs to be supported." apply.

Though I care much less about Android and would be perfectly fine with Linux only (ignoring for the moment that Android is Linux as well :) ).

I think that the recently revealed ubuntu on Android (discussion thread) is the way to go for the Pandora 2. Naturally, the Pandora 2 should be able to run the desktop environment without being docked.

Give me that Ubuntu on Android setup and, assuming no complications and the ability to run Ubuntu directly on the device with full resources available, I'm completely satisfied.

Oh, also with XFCE pre-installed (don't care if Unity is as well, but would prefer XFCE as default.. not a big deal if it's very easy and very obvious to switch though). That'd bridge the gap a bit between Pandora 1 and Pandora 2. And I want a hardware switch for picking the OS :D

How about LXDE?

I think there should be (3+3) spare buttons down the sides, so you could map one of those to OS switching if you wanted.

How about LXDE?

I think there should be (3+3) spare buttons down the sides, so you could map one of those to OS switching if you wanted.

XFCE seems good and more familiar, and a lot of the same distro stuff can be reused.. I'll go with "if it ain't broke" on that one. Although I do hear LXDE is lighter weight. Haven't really had a problem with that on Pandora 1, Pandora 2 should only have a lot more resources.

And I want a switch, not buttons! (yeah I know I'll never get it)

Unless you don't have full access to the underlying system, which is hard to imagine for a Pandora, it should always be possible to change window manager and/or desktop environment.

I am not a big fan of Unity myself either, but that is not an argument as to why it should not be default. XFCE makes sense from a backwards compatibility point of view. Like LXDE, it is also light on resource usage. The one benefit of Unity is that it is more touch oriented (bigger buttons) and makes reasonable use of the keyboard (filtering and searching) which makes it a rather nice fit for the Pandora.

I think that the Pandora button would be a good candidate for a hardware button which could facilitate "OS" switching (amongst other functionality). On the other hand, we don't have a button for it on the Pandora 1 either.

I know it'll be possible to change window manager no matter what. But a lot of people are going to judge the unit based on what it comes loaded with and how easy it is to change. And dev attention split isn't as bad with WM stuff as it is with software in general, but the individual WMs would still benefit from having good available of themes and other customizations.

We don't have a button for Pandora 1 because it wasn't meant to launch with two OSes ;) This would be a pretty deliberate design consideration for Pandora 2.

Or, ideally, custom linux with Android app support.
Ok, who are you and what have you done with the real Craig? :p

The last time this came up you were very firmly Android, with Linux as a potential afterthought.

I've been playing a little with a friends cheap android tablet. There are some nice games (i played some Asphalt and Modern Combat). There are also some nice apps for using Youtube and Netflix. Flash performance was ok too, not stellar but ok. I think that this kind of software could be a great addition to the Pandora catalog.

Back