Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, no but really. Here is some information regarding the speed of the processor if you didn't already know.
It's going to be called the F800.
F800

imec said:
lol, no but really. Here is some information regarding the speed of the processor if you didn't already know.
F800

That has nothing to do with the Craiginator, most of us have already seen that already, anyways.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
imec said:
Yes I did as you can see I posted in it and I was like the first to know cause zod told it to me in IRC, ha! :)

And yeah, that's the GPH successor of the GP2X it's about

A_SN said:
Actually depending on the machine's "firmware" it may already be compiled for it, that's if it libraries are compatible with Debian ARM ones, and so you would find that already compiled VLC in the Debian ARM repository. ;)
Too bad that VLC isn't in the apt repositories for Debian or Ubuntu. :(

OMars said:
Recompiling is always necessary when porting something to a brand new system. I guarantee you that it won't work right out of the box. I doubt this console's firmware will be perfectly compatible with a current version of linux.

Even if it does run, it's going to suck in one way or another. It could be the fact that you can't control anything, because the programmer didn't plan on having it use this console's button configuration, or it could be that the specifications on this system are not compatible in some way.

Did I miss something?
You missed the fact that this will probably be Open2X based. That comes with an X server. The system has a touchscreen, which will be used for the mouse. The system will have a keyboard.

Also, there are thousands of packages in the Debian repositories.

To those involved: may I suggest using tap+hold on the screen = right click? It works on the Pocket PC.

imec said:
F800

no u

It boggles the mind, this is the first internet forum where I have screwed up so many times in a row. I walk away in shame. So, Craigix is developing a new handheld and is being funded by an outside company that has nothing to do with GPH and I thought Craig was receiving funding by F200 sales. My confusion knows no boundaries. VLC, incorrect link, and now the F800.

A_SN said:
atomicthumbs said:
Too bad that VLC isn't in the apt repositories for Debian or Ubuntu. :(
Why do you guys insist on making claims before checking them? Of course it is, if you can't get it from there, you're lacking the Universe repository http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Ah, it's been a while since I used Debian.

Is it in the universe repository for Ubuntu now?

I prefer kmplayer for KDE anyway. :p

atomicthumbs said:
You missed the fact that this will probably be Open2X based. That comes with an X server. The system has a
When was it actually confirmed that it will be based off of Open2X? All I know that was confirmed is that it would use Linux.

imec said:
It boggles the mind, this is the first internet forum where I have screwed up so many times in a row. I walk away in shame. So, Craigix is developing a new handheld and is being funded by an outside company that has nothing to do with GPH and I thought Craig was receiving funding by F200 sales. My confusion knows no boundaries. VLC, incorrect link, and now the F800.
It happens to everyone once in a while.

-God Ginrai

He's at it again! 82.38.43.64 vandalized the wiki four times. :angry: I don't think that Craig will be disclosing any more underpants. Also, my name isn't "gaylords".

Glad this thing isn't coming til next year cuz I'm in the poorhouse right now (bad family situation.)

So do I have this right? It'll run some sort of Linux in an X-Windows environment.

It has a chance to run Quake 3? (and by that notion, also Unreal Tournament?)

Yup, tax check will definately be put back for that release.

leathco said:
Glad this thing isn't coming til next year cuz I'm in the poorhouse right now (bad family situation.)

So do I have this right? It'll run some sort of Linux in an X-Windows environment.

It has a chance to run Quake 3? (and by that notion, also Unreal Tournament?)

Yup, tax check will definately be put back for that release.
UT is not open source. It's got an open source toolkit, and ported to linux. But not open source.

Check Happypenguin out for games that include source. These are the ones that may work. (Alien Invasion)

I just wanted to update to be a little more accurate. Again, nothing is confirmed. It's all edumacated guesses. ;)

CODE
DSLite PSP (slim) Craiginator GP2X F200
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 Cortex-A8@1Ghz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? No ARM9@200
MIPS 74 + 37 ?? 2000+ 220 + 220
Memory 4 MB 64MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core 200Mhz SGX None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 13.5 Million ?30,000?
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 1200 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, DPAD. 4 way.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony/3.5 ? 3.5
Analog control Must use touch screen Nub 2 Must use touch screen
Touchscreen Yes No Yes Yes
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218gm 189gm ? 161gm (without batteries)

icurafu said:
I just wanted to update to be a little more accurate. Again, nothing is confirmed. It's all edumacated guesses. ;)
CODE
DSLite PSP (slim) Craiginator GP2X F200
CPU1 ARM9@67Mhz MIPS R4000 @ 333 Cortex-A8@1Ghz ARM9@200
CPU2 ARM9@33Mhz ?? No ARM9@200
MIPS 67 + 33 ?? 2000+ 200 + 200
Memory 4 MB 64MB + 2MB (embedded) 128MB 64MB
3D Video Yes, also VFPU. 166MHz Core 200Mhz SGX None
Triagles (per second) 120,000 33 Million 13.5 Million ?30,000?
Fill (pixels/sec) ?? 664 Million 1200 Million ?
Screen Size 3" 4.3" 4.3" 3.5"
Screen Res 256x192x2 480×272 800x480 320x240
TV-Out No Yes Yes Yes
Brightness control Yes 4 settings ? No (third-party app)
Digital control Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD. 4 way. Yes, DPAD Yes, DPAD. 4 way.
Headphone jack 3.5 Sony cr@p ? 3.5
Analog control Must use touch screen Nub 2 Must use touch screen
Touchscreen Yes No Yes Yes
Wifi Yes Yes Yes No
Weight 218gm 189gm ? 161gm (without batteries)

I don't think that the PSP can do 33 million triangles. Also, I'm not sure that you can measure the MIPS for the ARM CPUs by the clock speed alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back