Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
MWeston said:
My system isn't related to Craig's endeavors at this point. If the OMAP deal didn't happen then I think it would have been considered. I started this design last summer. Doesn't anyone remember me saying I was going to make my own GP2X killer last July? :(
jay it is finele confirmed :D

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
I just wanted to show some OpenGL demos running on my imx31 handheld. They look amazing and the OMAP3 is a much stronger platform. We are going to have some real fun with the craiginator when it is released! :) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpAj0jHglGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG7EDaZpyOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkx18kruRJs

Pretty amazing, you made your own handheld. And I thought I was slick making my own D-pad mod for the GP2X :rolleyes:

I wish I could do that. But since I can't I will just get Craig's.

He's showing us his own platform to say that the Craiginator will be able to do at least as well as what is being shown, and should be able to do even better.

-God Ginrai

OK, for serious, what is a good price estimate for this thing? I wanna save some money beforehand, so I don't have to rob anybody in the last minute. :p

Oh, and remember to put the analog on the right side of the system. I don't mean to force my opinions on you, but it would be better......for everything........that I we........LIKE?!/asjfeapwji

Enjoy making this console craigix!

OMars said:
OK, for serious, what is a good price estimate for this thing? I wanna save some money beforehand, so I don't have to rob anybody in the last minute. :p

Oh, and remember to put the analog on the right side of the system. I don't mean to force my opinions on you, but it would be better......for everything........that I we........LIKE?!/asjfeapwji

I think the estimate is somewhere around 200 pounds, or ~$400 US. That's assuming he uses the OMAP chip, which seems pretty likely.

OMars said:

Craig said that it'll cost about $350.

And you will have your analog stick on the right. Also on the left. ;)

Vorporeal said:
OMars said:

I think the estimate is somewhere around 200 pounds, or ~$400 US. That's assuming he uses the OMAP chip, which seems pretty likely.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???? :blink:

This better have built-in memory. That would give more incentive for people wanting an all-in-one device.

I remember Craigix saying that it would be "just above"(something like that)the price of the gp2x. How is that even close? You can get 3 value packs of the gp2x F-100 for that price. (US$130 x3).

But on the other hand, you would expect to pay around the same for the gp2x and all the things you need for it to be anywhere near equal to the new console:

NEW CONSOLE:
-system
-built in touchscreen and analog
-built in keyboard
-built in wifi
-built in battery
-charger/wall adapter
-PURCHASE: Most people now want a 4GB SD/SDHC, add $40

Let's say it really is $400. That's around $440. Compare that to:

GP2X F-200:
-system
-built in touchscreen
-nothing
-PURCHASE: SD card, $40
-PURCHASE: 4 batteries and charger, $25
-PURCHASE: AC Adapter, $23
-PURCHASE: Docking station for keyboard and wifi, $50
-PURCHASE: Keyboard, $30 (for an good one)
-PURCHASE: *Compatible* USB wifi adapter $40 (d-link dwl-g122)

That puts the gp2x at a grand total of $378. That's assuming that you get a $170 gp2x and everything that you could possibly need to accessorise(is that a word?)it.

*NOTE: I haven't included the prices of shipping, a case, and a screen protector for each system.

After comparing the prices, hypothetically, the gp2x costs less than the new console by itself. Sure, the new system has all that stuff in the convenience of a single package, but it might not turn out to be so portable anyway. Plus, a full USB keyboard is a lot easier to use than a mini keyboard, possibly missing keys found a full sized keyboard.

Any opinions? I put a half hour into research for this crap, so please respond. :p

OMars:

Yes, accessorize is a word.

200 GBP is actually about $350 USD.

Adding all those things to a GP2X still wouldn't make it as powerful as Craig's device.

Omars said:
[...]but it might not turn out to be so portable anyway.
Craigix said early on that the machine will be roughly the size of the GP2X. It's definitely going to be a portable.

I disagree I just looked it up...200gbp in usd is roughly 408usd.
200 euro in usd is about 284.

unless I am seriously smoking something and know nothing about currency.

garzyboi said:
I disagree I just looked it up...200gbp in usd is roughly 408usd.
200 euro in usd is about 284.

unless I am seriously smoking something and know nothing about currency.
Whoops... my mistake!

I forgot that the 200 GBP price tag includes VAT which is some British tax thing I don't fully understand.

People in the US don't have to pay that tax, so it costs less (about $350 USD) here.

OMars said:
Vorporeal said:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???? :blink:

This better have built-in memory. That would give more incentive for people wanting an all-in-one device.

I remember Craigix saying that it would be "just above"(something like that)the price of the gp2x. How is that even close? You can get 3 value packs of the gp2x F-100 for that price. (US$130 x3).

But on the other hand, you would expect to pay around the same for the gp2x and all the things you need for it to be anywhere near equal to the new console:

NEW CONSOLE:
-system
-built in touchscreen and analog
-built in keyboard
-built in wifi
-built in battery
-charger/wall adapter
-PURCHASE: Most people now want a 4GB SD/SDHC, add $40

Let's say it really is $400. That's around $440. Compare that to:

GP2X F-200:
-system
-built in touchscreen
-nothing
-PURCHASE: SD card, $40
-PURCHASE: 4 batteries and charger, $25
-PURCHASE: AC Adapter, $23
-PURCHASE: Docking station for keyboard and wifi, $50
-PURCHASE: Keyboard, $30 (for an good one)
-PURCHASE: *Compatible* USB wifi adapter $40 (d-link dwl-g122)

That puts the gp2x at a grand total of $378. That's assuming that you get a $170 gp2x and everything that you could possibly need to accessorise(is that a word?)it.

*NOTE: I haven't included the prices of shipping, a case, and a screen protector for each system.

After comparing the prices, hypothetically, the gp2x costs less than the new console by itself. Sure, the new system has all that stuff in the convenience of a single package, but it might not turn out to be so portable anyway. Plus, a full USB keyboard is a lot easier to use than a mini keyboard, possibly missing keys found a full sized keyboard.

Any opinions? I put a half hour into research for this crap, so please respond. :p

In your GP2X F-200 setup, you forgot the analog controls. Add $25-30 for a decently built compatible dual-analog gamepad. That brings your total cost up to just over $400.
And we know the console will be well within portability limits even despite all the built-in goodies. From the pictures comparing screens, I'd say the device will have to be slightly larger than a GP2X, possibly closer to a PSP, but still well within what I'd consider portable. Try carrying the cradle and a full USB keyboard/mouse/gamepad setup around with you everywhere, nevermind actually using it on the train/bus... :) Yeah, I'd say Craig's device will be considerably more portable than an equivalent GP2X setup, and considerably more flexible and powerful, as well!

The original "announcement" (a post by Craigix) that this should cost only marginally more (in the general vicinity of £150) than a GP2X was made when the console was still being based around the MMSP2+ chip. It stayed around when the i.MX31 was being considered as it was only marginally more expensive than the MMSP2+, but once the guy from TI turned up here and talk started among the users about how great it would be to have the device be based on the top-of-the-line OMAP, most people here seemed to agree that such a great SoC would warrant a higher price for the benefits it would bring in terms of performance and cutting-edge-ness (that can't be a word, can it?). And when Craigix announced that using the OMAP would bring the price of the final device up to £200, it seems most people here (at least most European users) felt that it was a fair price, considering the GP2X with a cradle is ~£160 (within Europe) and Craig's device will be so much more powerful.

OMars said:
Yeah, you've wasted a perfectly good half hour into bullshit. Way to compare apples with.. rotten apples.

After comparing the prices, hypothetically, the gp2x costs less than the new console by itself.

No shit Sherlock! Of course the new console won't sell for the price of the GP2X *now*, how do you want that to happen, did you look at the specs? They have nothing in common. You're comparing a flawed 200 MHz machine with little acceleration to a high(est) end machine with a CPU that *might* go up to 1 GHz, render 3D like a GameCube and pack a high res screen, a built-in keyboard, much better gaming controls (namely 1 DPAD + 2 analogs) and wifi.

On the GP2X, you're glad to play Quake 1 and games from the early 90's. On the Craiginator, you'll watch YouTube, chat on MSN and play Quake 3 online and VNC to your home computer so you can choose the music while you're busy sitting on the toilet seat. Oh, did I mention streaming the latest episode of Prison Break from your home computer using VLC? Yeah, that too, even on the toilet seat!

A_SN said:
OMars said:
Yeah, you've wasted a perfectly good half hour into bullshit. Way to compare apples with.. rotten apples.

After comparing the prices, hypothetically, the gp2x costs less than the new console by itself.

No shit Sherlock! Of course the new console won't sell for the price of the GP2X *now*, how do you want that to happen, did you look at the specs? They have nothing in common. You're comparing a flawed 200 MHz machine with little acceleration to a high(est) end machine with a CPU that *might* go up to 1 GHz, render 3D like a GameCube and pack a high res screen, a built-in keyboard, much better gaming controls (namely 1 DPAD + 2 analogs) and wifi.

On the GP2X, you're glad to play Quake 1 and games from the early 90's. On the Craiginator, you'll watch YouTube, chat on MSN and play Quake 3 online and VNC to your home computer so you can choose the music while you're busy sitting on the toilet seat. Oh, did I mention streaming the latest episode of Prison Break from your home computer using VLC? Yeah, that too, even on the toilet seat!

LOL! man its so funny...but its so friggin true man.

granted I wouldn't do anything on my toilet seat...but the thought is there.

You just have to browse the web whilst on the throne, it's a necessity (and its smaller than a magazine to boot!)

A SN, don't be so damn rude. I said "anywhere near equal" to the new console, if you had actually read my post. And who says all that stuff will happen right away?

Ooh, I want to stream a moderately good show on a console that doesn't really exist yet using a program that hasn't even been written. ;)

I will admit that, after having read part of this monster thread, I am now considering the new console more than the F200, but you shouldn't brag about things that don't exist yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back