Opensnes

Reesy posted on Sep 29 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
Hi,

I've been messing around with OpenSnes by Yoyofr, I finally got it to compile using ADS and I have added some more cpu speeds to it. 

This build is not using the asm cpu core as it is not in a ADS compatible format so I'm going to need to convert it over the next few days.  Once I've done this I may have a go at adding a faster spc emulator to it ( pocketspc ).

Anyway the binary is here and the source is here.

If you plan on compiling this you'll need to use the Debug release of Gamepark SDK for ADS as the release version is broken.

Later

Reesy

Awesome!! The slow spc soundchip emu mixing and rendering routeens were said to be holding this one back. If you can get that sussed out then WooooHOOO!

Oh and by the way this has the intensity bit problem making it looked washed out on the BLU. While you are poking around in there maybe you could set it to 0 so it looks better like you did with DRMD in the beginning :)

Thanks for the awesome l337 work again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be able to pickup and follow someone else's code like this is quite amazing on both parts (orignal writer and interpreter) not having my gp32 (sold it to get a gp2x preordered) is so annoying with all these new releases coming out...

HOORAY! I'd imagine there's quite a bit of work to be done, but your past work shows you've got the guts to do it. You're amazing Reesy, and I'm so glad you're on board in this amazing boat called the GP32. OH YEAH!

(I.. amplified my cheesy-ness for this post. It's intentional. Sort of.)

my god
greatest news ever

Reesy, do you have plans for fix the crackling sound.
Sounds like I will have reason to pick my GP32 up again.

cheers to yoyo + his team for going thru the trouble of making it OPENSnes so that it could be worked on in the future, as well

great news reesy! you have given a lot to our little community and we appreciate you for it.

Wait a minute Reesy... did you say ADS? A rusty cog in my brain just reluctantly clicked over one tooth and made me remember something.

Didn't you once say that FluBBa's emus all used ADS? You also said that because they did you couldn't use any of his code.

But now that you can use this does this "ADS" mean that some of his GBA emus like the PC-engine, NES etc could be ported to the Gp32? All of the source code for FluBBa's emus and CPU cores are feely available too.... Interesting no? :)

If this means a faster SNES on my GP32.........(jaw drops to the floor)....................(grin comes to face)......he he he...just let those aliens attack now!......awesome, just AWESOME! :eek:

Yeah this release does nothing but add some extra cpu speeds. I just wanted to release a version of OpenSnes that anyone with ADS could compile. I'm interested to hear if anyone has managed to compile it yet, just incase there is still something I'm missing.

This way anybody can pick the OpenSnes source up and have a tinker, without the worry of getting it to compile.

I would imagine that this release is slower than v3.0 or v2.0 of OpenSnes mainly because it does not include the ASM core, so its not much to get excited over but I will get it running faster than those version within a couple of weeks. I'm on holiday as of the end of the day, so this is my holiday project ( since I haven't got a GP2X yet :( ).

So my list of things to do are:-

convert ASM cpu core to ADS compatibile format
Add pocketSPC
Ensure sound is crystal clear.
Speed up rendering routines ( if possible )

That should be it.

c0ncept posted on Sep 30 2005 at 12:21 AM said:
Reesy  has started to work on the snes emulator that yoyofr left slightly unfinished. This is good news. :)

Are you joking? This is the best news (for me) in last few months!

Reesy: You are becoming the synonyme of GP32 to me ;)

This is especially great because there are a lot of people (like me) who can't afford to upgrade from their GP32s, or who just don't want to, and better SNES emulation would make it the perfect 8+16bit emu machine.

Great news indeed! I was looking forward to this very day. :)
Let's hope other coding gurus will join to help you, like it already happened for gpMAME.

Feature request:
* It'd be really nice if it was possible to select the clockspeed in the menu (like in DrMD) and change it while running the emulator

gaterooze posted on Sep 30 2005 at 09:56 AM said:
This is especially great because there are a lot of people (like me) who can't afford to upgrade from their GP32s, or who just don't want to, and better SNES emulation would make it the perfect 8+16bit emu machine.

Add me onto the list :)

Reesy posted on Sep 30 2005 at 07:01 AM said:
So my list of things to do are:-

convert ASM cpu core to ADS compatibile format
Add pocketSPC
Ensure sound is crystal clear.
Speed up rendering routines ( if possible )

That should be it.

this sounds allway so easy ;) but i know it issn't :( i hope you get it as fast as possible

good luck :)

Back