Openpandora.org Blog Opened!

Dimacus said:
Chip said:
Dimacus said:
But why not make it into an "official" extension port by adding a connector and a smaller part of removable plastic cover?

There is a really good reason why this wouldn't work out. Lets see who figures it out first.

On the top of my mind.. The battery?

Give that man a cigar!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have disassembled a old Alcatel Mobile phone, just to look, how the Key-light works. I thought there was one LED but actualy there are many VERY small LED'S straight onto the PCB between the keypads. 6 LED for 15 buttons illuminate the rubber-foil which illuminates the buttons above...interesting technique, I've never seen so tiny LED's (maybe 1mm x 2mm) The whole construction is less than 5 mm thick. Could be a solution for the Pandora but I don't know if the PCB can be changed for the mini-LED's between the buttons.

Squidge said:
Strange, as mine is also a Saitek Eclipse. Maybe I just use it more? :)
But do you have the first one or the second one? Eclipse II cost me $110. I could have gone and bought that Logitech one if I wanted too.

My brother also has a Eclipse II but for a shorter period of time. He uses his computer nearlly 24/7 with which most of it is coding (he's at Uni).

Instead of a backlit keyboard (which would be great) you could just add an led on the top the screen to light up the keys like the 'think light' on a thinkpad.

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
Instead of a backlit keyboard (which would be great) you could just add an led on the top the screen to light up the keys like the 'think light' on a thinkpad.
You usualy have the screen-lid opened more than 90° I have a 1:1 Pandora Mockup and I think, the most people will play with a over 120° opened Lid.

If these micro-LED's are cheap, If the PCB has room for additional conductor lines and if the Devs find a proper rubber material which is a good Light Conductor, they maybe could add 11 micro-LEDs onto the PCB for the 33 Buttons, each LED could handle 3 Buttons...maybe:

...just a quick Idea.

But do you have the first one or the second one? Eclipse II cost me $110.

Ah, no, I have the first one.

It already has one - its called a backlight :D

Anyone noticed how the Saitek Eclipse backlighting works? It's mostly all magic light guides than a splattering of LEDs.

That's the idea I suggested around September or so. :p

Back