New Blog On Open Pandora

TyBO! said:
Err... there's nothing new here. (see Squidge's latest thread)
What Squidge has shown was running on a dev board. This is a screen attached to an actual PCB. I don't think they can show anything running on it because not all components are installed currently. (they don't have any OMAP 3530s, they're not in production quite yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiny said:
TyBO! said:
What Squidge has shown was running on a dev board. This is a screen attached to an actual PCB. I don't think they can show anything running on it because not all components are installed currently. (they don't have any OMAP 3530s, they're not in production quite yet)

The board shown is much more populated than the last pics. It looks like everything except the wifi module is installed. There is a processor there, though whether it's a 3530 or something else is not obvious. There's also an SD card in the slot, so maybe it is running to some extent.

Chip said:
The board shown is much more populated than the last pics. It looks like everything except the wifi module is installed. There is a processor there, though whether it's a 3530 or something else is not obvious.

Mayby it's a 3503 like what's in Squidge's dev board.

Chip said:
There's also an SD card in the slot, so maybe it is running to some extent.

I didn't even notice that the first time through. Nice find. ;)

craigix said:
The PCB is working and we will have something to show very soon.
I'm eagerly looking foward to seeing something running on the actual hardware :)! Exciting times these are.

Shiny said:
I don't think they can show anything running on it because not all components are installed currently. (they don't have any OMAP 3530s, they're not in production quite yet)

It's true that they are not in production yet, but it's false that we don't have any :)

Shiny said:
Mayby it's a 3503 like what's in Squidge's dev board.
But, my dev board has a 3530.

TyBO! said:
That's not QUITE true. We're seeing a populated mainboard hooked to a touchpanel display as well. ;)

Shiny said:

I'd bet that they DO have some in hand on Dev boards and a few for the prototype/developer run units.

"Not in production" means a whole host of things, including having a handful of samples of the production run version of silicon to lever TI's people and the early adopters (like OpenPandora) up to full speed.

craigix said:
The PCB is working and we will have something to show very soon.
WICKED! I can't wait. This is getting fun now.

(Now if only I can get a dev board or one of the prototypes in hand... ;) )

Well, this step-by-step development loop is certainly nice.

I can't recall ever being this privy to a new handheld gaming device's ongoing development before. Definitely not to this degree of detail.

Another feather in Pandora's "open" cap. Keep it up.

Yeah, it's awesome to see the developments as you do them. Looking forward to the next update!

Does anyone know why the Wifi Module space is blank or missing? When sold as the final unit will it still be blank, or is it advertised as Wifi in the sense that you can add Wifi by adding a module yourself?

JerryG20 said:
Does anyone know why the Wifi Module space is blank or missing? When sold as the final unit will it still be blank, or is it advertised as Wifi in the sense that you can add Wifi by adding a module yourself?
It will surely be there -- they probably still need to source the best component/price. It takes time, but it looks like it's coming together nicely!

The wifi will be included in the next PCB revision. For this revision, the PCB has a generic footprint that I am using to place another small PCB with the wifi module of choice. I have some wifi modules here, but I don't like them as much as another part I am trying to line up for production. I don't want to say anything about that part as things can change, but what I am looking for is the best part with great power and throughput and, of course, great drivers that will drop into our kernel with minimal problems.

I am finding that using the cheapest priced wifi part is not as important as choosing one with a strong backing on the driver side and that is why I am not rushing to get the parts I have now, soldered to the board. I don't feel confident with the drivers given to me, but the part that will likely be in the final unit is fantastic and very well supported. We are setting up terms with the module manufacturer now and unless something unforeseen should happen, the choice appears to be final. Information on this will be updated when it is in writing, but not before. I just hate having to go back on things I have already posted and want to keep that to a minimum. :)

Good news Craigix , MWeston,Squidge and thanks for these informations :)

Good work again guys B)

For make dream live thanks again ;)

[Edit]

Sorry for the mistake Graigix :rolleyes: it's Graigix not Graig :p

but if your first name is Graig i happy for the mistake :D

[reedit ]

pffff i'm tired i think :lol:

MWeston said:
The wifi will be included in the next PCB revision. For this revision, the PCB has a generic footprint that I am using to place another small PCB with the wifi module of choice. I have some wifi modules here, but I don't like them as much as another part I am trying to line up for production. I don't want to say anything about that part as things can change, but what I am looking for is the best part with great power and throughput and, of course, great drivers that will drop into our kernel with minimal problems.

I am finding that using the cheapest priced wifi part is not as important as choosing one with a strong backing on the driver side and that is why I am not rushing to get the parts I have now, soldered to the board. I don't feel confident with the drivers given to me, but the part that will likely be in the final unit is fantastic and very well supported. We are setting up terms with the module manufacturer now and unless something unforeseen should happen, the choice appears to be final. Information on this will be updated when it is in writing, but not before. I just hate having to go back on things I have already posted and want to keep that to a minimum. :)
Does it support monitor mode for "security testing"?

MWeston said:
Just don't tell us you're using a Broadcom chip and I'll just smile and nod over that one- but as atomicthumbs asked, one wonders if it'll support monitor mode, amongst other things.

atomicthumbs said:
Does it support monitor mode for "security testing"?
Keep soundly in mind that unless you're testing your own systems security, use of things like monitor mode and similar is akin to being caught with a pick set if you're not a licensed locksmith. Unless you're working under the auspices of a PI doing computer forensics, you can be found guilty of a misdemeanor just shy of felony status or a felony depending on what you're doing and what jurisdiction you're under. ;)

Holy computer chips batman :blink: :eek: :eek:

I love it, you can see that there is an SD in that slot, and there are two lines running from the board, as well as the Serial port is on headers :)

Sweet.

That wifi module bit makes more sense now.

Back