New Blog Entry

Vimacs said:
Megamixman said:
If so, the situation you speak of is not GPL compliant, since you would be distributing it and by GPL would be required to host the source to the public as well. This is one thing that you guys really should make sure you're carefull of, because a lot of FOSS fanatics are going around pointing fingers. Any binaries you distribute with the Pandora or through some sort of official websit, that are under the GPL, need to have a source hosted and open to the public as well. Merely linking to the source is not enough.
That is total bullshitt, gpl only requires you to make the source available on request withing reasonable time.

Which i agree, but FSF fanatics are arguing that in this day and age instant is the only reasonable time for such source distribution. MEPIS is an example of a distro that has recently had problems with their definition of 'reasonable'.

Thanks for the info MWeston.
Your description of the chip makes it sound like it would even be used in Laptops. Considering the major players in that area have all succumbed to the open-source driver model, it's quite surprising that they are pulling an Nvidia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megamixman said:
Vimacs said:
Megamixman said:
If so, the situation you speak of is not GPL compliant, since you would be distributing it and by GPL would be required to host the source to the public as well. This is one thing that you guys really should make sure you're carefull of, because a lot of FOSS fanatics are going around pointing fingers. Any binaries you distribute with the Pandora or through some sort of official websit, that are under the GPL, need to have a source hosted and open to the public as well. Merely linking to the source is not enough.
That is total bullshitt, gpl only requires you to make the source available on request withing reasonable time.

Which i agree, but FSF fanatics are arguing that in this day and age instant is the only reasonable time for such source distribution. MEPIS is an example of a distro that has recently had problems with their definition of 'reasonable'.

There's nothing about "reasonable time" in the GPL. The only requirement is that the source is either provided with the software, or a written offer is provided, or that you provide a copy of the same valid offer you received. In all cases, the source must be in compilable form, on a medium customarily used for software interchange. For those who are disinclined to check for themselves, here's the relevant portions of the GPL.
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
b ) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

Note that this refers to the code which acts as the shim; since that is the only code which is actually part of the kernel/a derivative work of the kernel source. Since the actual driver code is not available except under NDA, it is not and cannot be covered by the GPL, due to the sections that say:
4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.

and
6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.

edit: note that this applies to GPLv2, because that's the version the kernel is licensed under. V3 may well have a "reasonable time" restriction (I haven't read it thoroughly), but this is not applicable to the Linux kernel or any work based on it, since the kernel explicitly specifies V2 as its conditions for distribution.

Oh how this thread turned into yet another GPL war...

Anyway, nice looking Wifi/Bluetooth chips :)

I can't wait to get this device in my hands.

MWeston said:
The antenna is designed to have the signals travel on a wire to a little PCB in the lid. This puts the transmission field farther away from dense organic matter (your hands!) and is easier to plot the emission field around the antenna because a good design takes into account everything around the antenna (PCB, plastic, metal connectors and parts, etc.). I guess this could also make the antenna more hackable for those Pringle can mods. :)
PCB in the lid? Interesting. :) Is the Antenna big enough for a good Connection? I also had a Idea for the Antenna a while ago, also in the lid because there is enough space:
pandoraantennese3.gif

Close to the Original? :D

Chip said:
Oh god, not this again...

I was substantively agreeing with you, and trying to prevent "another GPL war," if you actually read my post. :rolleyes:
It sounds like all that was needed was a polite explanation of the requirements, and the fact that some people decided to be uncivil and scream at GPH was ridiculous, being that it isn't going to help get the source released any faster.

The point is, and I'm not trying to defend any "zealots" here, that distributing GPL software not in compliance with the license is a copyright violation, the same as if GPH had been distributing the GP2X with some emulators and NES and Genesis games included. It's no excuse for the behavior you describe - but just because some of its supporters are unpleasant doesn't mean anyone should write off the license or fail to consider its benefits, or make the mistake of thinking it doesn't have full legal force behind it.

At any rate, the point is that this is irrelevant in this case because only the source for the shim that actually goes in the kernel needs to be available, as that's all you need to recompile to be able to use the driver on any given kernel.

I despise GPL zealotry. I hate the FSF. I strongly dislike RMS. I like GPL software. But, seriously, the FreeSoftwareFreaks can be worse than the RIAA/MPAA! They might not sue you, but they harass the hades out of you. With the **AA's it's business - with the FSFreaks - it's personal. The **AAs want your money. The FSFs want your blood, your soul, your dog... They want you to release your firstborn child under the GPL v 3.0. It's insane.

chad78 said:
... They want you to release your firstborn child under the GPL v 3.0. It's insane.
Yes, but if you release the source code for your insane firstborn child under GPL V 3.0, anyone in the community can make him sane... (or insaner if they want, I guess).

Actually, the only thing they can do if the upstream project manager (you) doesn't accept patches is fork him.

chad78 said:
I despise GPL zealotry. I hate the FSF. I strongly dislike RMS. I like GPL software. But, seriously, the FreeSoftwareFreaks can be worse than the RIAA/MPAA! They might not sue you, but they harass the hades out of you. With the **AA's it's business - with the FSFreaks - it's personal. The **AAs want your money. The FSFs want your blood, your soul, your dog... They want you to release your firstborn child under the GPL v 3.0. It's insane.
er, no? The FSF believes, of course, as does RMS, that the GPL is the best license for software. I happen to agree, generally. You are free to disagree, of course. But the FSF doesn't "harass" anyone who isn't violating their copyrights. If you are, then of course they take a dim view of that.

Take issue with those who actually do objectionable things. This is not the FSF, just certain individuals. The FSF only fights GPL cases for software they own the copyrights to. Their actions may reflect badly on the free software community, but please don't judge the entire community on the actions of a few zealots who have no official standing.

And they're nowhere near the **AA's insanity. The FSF never sues for damages - they've stated over and over that their only goal is compliance with the license.

Tom` said:
please don't judge the entire community on the actions of a few very large amount of zealots who have no official standing.

Well, last time all that was required to change the topic of a thread was mention the word "chip".. so since I would like to stay on topic (or at least change this one to a more agreeable one) I'd like to say how cool the wifi CHIPS look, they're so small and cool, not like other CHIPS I've seen, they're probably the best looking CHIPS in the world. I sure hope everything is going more smoothly after the analogue fiasco. I doubt I'd miss stick click, I just like a lot of travel in the nubs. So are their any other CHIPS missing before the board is completely ready for testing? So did you say the CHIP for Wifi would be in the lid? Is there any issue running even more wires across the hinge to this new CHIP you speak of?

PS, the cat picture is really cute.

Are we going to stay on topic, or do we need to split this thread into two, the second being gpl license discussion?

My goodness, you degenerates!

Has anyone else noticed that Craigx _ALWAYS_ leaves messages that say a little truth, but mostly lead the people to speculation. It incites war.

Squidge said:
Are we going to stay on topic, or do we need to split this thread into two, the second being gpl license discussion?
Poor Squidge, didn't you still lost hope on this forum?

This thread is too much contaminated like a lot of others in this forum. It seems like the only solution is that gets spammed by tons of people and then deleted because too much clueless posts, but that is happening today...

See the Lurkio post, that young siamese cute kitty say the truth!

Thanks MW for all your news , do the best for Pandora and choose good options for nub.

Well in fact license GPL and others are really to hard to understand for a non native english speaking like me.

Lot of licenses are too misunderstanding for all non english people.

Craigix : thanks too, but stop yours enigmatic sentences :p

Would we ever let you down? Even 2mm?
-

Could we get a video soon of the complete system hands on. That would be nice. It is only a month away from from preorders. Thanks

FRZ said:

Would we ever let you down? Even 2mm?
-

Could we get a video soon of the complete system hands on. That would be nice. It is only a month away from from preorders. Thanks
Preoders might start at the end of August , which makes it almost two months away. Craig did say more videos should start popping up in July, so we can at least expect to see something in the coming weeks. Also zodttd said he would post some new vids of the ps1 emu in action.

Back