Openpandora Looking For A Buyer ?

Sphinxter said:
Wheels said:
Since the Pandora is basically a tweaked Beagle Board crammed into a portable format, I imagine MS wouldn't have any trouble coming up with a clone of their own.
Even quasist in his darkest hour could not come up with a more heinous statement about the pandora, truly reprehensible.

It's not truly reprehensible. The OMAP3 in the Pandora and Beagleboard is a SoC design, meaning most of the functions of the devices are contained within one chip. Beagleboard and Pandora are similar, hardware wise, not identical but similar. Why is that so controversial?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
I was looking through the zii site, not xomprehensively I may add though due to low phone coverage here, all I could find was advertising bs and no actual solid information on what it actually is and what hardware it has.

The reason you can't really find information on the hardware is that Zii is Creative's new hardware platform. The Zii is a SoC, AFAICT. We don't really know it's power and capabilities past what their marketing department puts out until developers actually do some testing.

MS has never shown any interest in "buying" the Pandora project. They were simply interested in getting an early dev unit or two for testing and evaluation purposes. They're a big company with a large R&D department. I imagine they buy at least one of every new device that has the potential to run one of their OSes, just to keep a handle on what's out there.

I have it on very good authority that the Pandora team has no interest in selling the project.

Wheels said:
Since the Pandora is basically a tweaked Beagle Board crammed into a portable format, I imagine MS wouldn't have any trouble coming up with a clone of their own.

The Pandora and Beagle have nothing in common apart from the OMAP3. We had a Pandora board before we had even seen a real Beagle. This myth that the Pandora is a tweaked beagle is insulting to all the time (a year) Michael has put in to the PCB design.

Just look at the two PCBs side by side to see how wrong your statement is.

Aside from the OMAP3, they have completely different chips on those boards. I gather the Pandora one is packed with layers, making it more difficult to manufacture and design.

It's also more compact.

I didn't mean any offense, I was just under the impression that the Pandora board was redesigned from the Beagle for things like the wifi, keyboard, game controls, and handheld form factor. I didn't know they were completely different apart from the SoC.

Wheels said:
I didn't mean any offense, I was just under the impression that the Pandora board was redesigned from the Beagle for things like the wifi, keyboard, game controls, and handheld form factor. I didn't know they were completely different apart from the SoC.
No actually this is wrong. The Pandora is a redesigned Beagle Board. So are the Palm Pre and the iPhone 3GS.

rabidpoobear said:
No actually this is wrong. The Pandora is a redesigned Beagle Board. So are the Palm Pre and the iPhone 3GS.
Umm... did you even read Craig's post? (Not to mention the previous posts)

craigix said:
The Pandora and Beagle have nothing in common apart from the OMAP3. We had a Pandora board before we had even seen a real Beagle. This myth that the Pandora is a tweaked beagle is insulting to all the time (a year) Michael has put in to the PCB design.

Just look at the two PCBs side by side to see how wrong your statement is.
Unless I'm somehow reading your post in the wrong way...

Yeah, they aren't much alike, I don't know who started that thought.
Both are really awesome projects though!

rabidpoobear said:
Unless I'm somehow reading your post in the wrong way...
You are. He's saying the Pandora, Palm Pre, and iPhone 3GS are all just Beagleboard ripoffs.

He's being facetious.

gp2.eXe said:
rabidpoobear said:
Umm... did you even read Craig's post? (Not to mention the previous posts)
You're a bit slow there. Clearly this is sarcasm.

Anyhow, now one has tried to buy the project, a UK investment fund did try to offer us some money but they just didn't 'get' the project so we walked away from that one.

(when I say they didn't get it I mean they didn't really understand the market, started throwing buzz words about and talking about running windows, istores and all the rest, can you imagine them having a say in the project...).

craigix said:
Anyhow, now one has tried to buy the project, a UK investment fund did try to offer us some money but they just didn't 'get' the project so we walked away from that one.

(when I say they didn't get it I mean they didn't really understand the market, started throwing buzz words about and talking about running windows, istores and all the rest, can you imagine them having a say in the project...).
Yikes! That's bad.

I hope you guys never sell the project, but if you do, sell it to Linux geeks.

I don't see why they'd ever sell it. The people in charge of developing and manufacturing the Pandora should be people who fully understand the market that it belongs to. Who would better understand that than people who helped make that market into what it is today? Selling the project would just put it into the hands of corporate shits who care more about the money than about the product, and most importantly, more than they'd care about the consumers. I, for one, would lose all faith in this project if it decided to sell out.

craigix said:

Ever think about taking the Pandora on Dragon's Den? Not that I would want them in on the project, I'd just want to see Peter's face when you explain what it is you're making.

shouldve reverted them to the "pandora will never run windows" thread ;)

Back