Openpandora Looking For A Buyer ?

ish420

I was wondering if the openpandora team would be willing to sell the rights to the console once it was finished. Say, to Sega or Microsoft. I know there are rumors about MS working on it's own console. But, imagine MS dropping a few million on team's doorstep and taking over the console. Could the team refuse such an offer? Imagine OP turning into the Xbox portable or the Sega portable. That would be kind of awesome. It would mean that the console would potentially have support from the publishers and insane looking games would be made. I know it would also mean locking down the system but with so many people working on the OP now. I'm sure it would get cracked in a heartbeat. Anyway, it's just forum talk. Please don't take it as anything bad. Let's just talk of the possibilities of such thing.

I doubt it very much. Microsoft has already tried to contact the OP team about this. From what I gather about the Pandora, is that it is a Community project which may (I have a strong feeling it will!!) sell in a mass market once people actually can see a finished Pandora. The other point I would like to raise is that the community involved contains a large variety of people who would certainly help in the success of the Pandora (giving craigx and co helpful info I.e.: distribution channels, routes to advertising etc) I think that also, it will be one of the biggest platforms for home-brew games - People wanting to get noticed will be writing for the Pandora - bringing a lot of fresh new content to the gaming market, without any strings attached.

Edit: Typo

Why would this even be considered? The whole reason this is being developed by mweston and co is because companies like MS only make locked down hardware which is designed to give people what the company wants them to have in the way the company wants them to use it, not an open platform to be used in the way that the consumer desires.

djmaddis said:
Microsoft has already tried to contact the OP team about this.

Can you provide a source?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
companies like MS only make locked down hardware which is designed to give people what the company wants them to have in the way the company wants them to use it, not an open platform to be used in the way that the consumer desires.

** House of commons 'yeah' ** -> everyone applauds

Pleng said:
djmaddis said:
Microsoft has already tried to contact the OP team about this.

Can you provide a source?

Source:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47497-just-did-an-interview-for-one-last-continue/page__p__719993&#entry719993

Interview Source:

http://www.onelastcontinue.com/4958/guest-interview-chip-andre-open-pandora

'Have any third-party developers contacted you with interest in the Pandora?

Yes, I’ve received several inquiries and requests for hardware from professional developers. Most requests have been from small indie game studios, but I’ve received some interest from a couple of very large companies. Even if nothing comes of any of the inquiries, it is still nice to know you’re on the radar.'

Edit: URL now working

If Microsoft dropped (let's say) 30 million dollars for OpenPandora, I would not begrudge them for selling out.
Of course, odds are very against any major company ever wishing to do that; they're completely different business paradigms.

WizardStan said:
If Microsoft dropped (let's say) 30 million dollars for OpenPandora, I would not begrudge them for selling out.
Of course, odds are very against any major company ever wishing to do that; they're completely different business paradigms.

Hey, since some people insist we are 'investors' rather than customers, we'd all be entitled to a share of that 30 million.

I've already preordered my Lamborghini. Don't let me down.

i don't think so. or at least i hope not. any advantages of being mainstream, having commercial games or whatnot isn't worth how downhill it will probably go.

i would not trust microsoft with anything open source.

if microsoft were to buy this, i am almost certain they would attempt to bind it some how with the xbox360 rather than make it a windows mobile device. it would accent the xboxlive systems rather than be a fully mobile internet device. when it comes to hardware, microsoft is only about peripherals and the xbox so i really dont see why they would want to have their own MID. i think it would be microsofts answer to the PSP and the DS. it probably wouldnt be a bad device. i could see them neutering a few features, specifically the removable storage replace with a fixed amount (maybe 8-16 gig? just to keep costs down), possibly mess with a few of the outputs just to lock it down. if microsoft bought out the rights to use parts of the design to make something similar, i wouldnt have a problem, however if they stopped openpandora making their system and only bought the rights on the basis that they didnt put out anything similar and open, then i would be dead against it.

I'm not inclined to believe Microsoft would ruin it. Microsoft has always been pro-choice as far as the software you run on your PC, phones, etc.

But it has to be a Microsoft OS. :p And obviously they'd maintain tight control over an "App Store", just like any other company.

Back