Openpandora Looking For A Buyer ?

There's still nothing in those quotes to suggest that MS wanted to buy out the project. For all we know they just rang up and said "use fat32 and we'll crush your skulls."

I'd prefer if Sony bought it...course, they'd (physically, not conceptually) rip off the right analog nub, flatten the left nub down to a tiny, incredibly painful size, and blur the screen up a bit.

This machine is way to 'open' for big companies to be interested in. Which, I believe, is a big reason why we're all still here. :)

*NOBODY* should buy OpenPandora, period. Craig and the guys should get rich from the 4 or 5 or 10 waves of production over the next year, and it should bootstrap into being a successful new gaming company. All the hard work and effort of this small team has created a seriously phenomenal product; no way that should just go up for sale for the $$$. It would be a terrible shame.

What should happen in my opinion, is OpenPandora Ltd., grows, is a success, releases a great console that really demonstrates the power of the community forming around the ideals of an open platform, and we all have a great time developing apps that just don't happen on the other 'serious' platforms. There is far too much joy and whimsy associated with the Pandora for it to be 'purchasable' by one of the so-called majors. I'd rather see OP, Ltd., survive on its own success for a few years before we even -dare- to discuss this buy-out nonsense again ..

Sphinxter said:
djmaddis said:
The words 'Home-brew' & 'Microsoft' don't really go, besides it's like me getting married to a Spanish Goat, it just wouldn't work
Language barrier?

lol. So, i guess everyone will assume i will marry a spanish goat now if Microsoft supports Home-Brew?

I should not make promises like that just in case i was wrong and the stables, i meant, *tables* turn

Last edited by a moderator:
EmuGuy said:
This machine is way to 'open' for big companies to be interested in. Which, I believe, is a big reason why we're all still here. :)
The Software is open. AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), the Pandora Hardware itself isn't more open than the hardware from the iPhone or the Palm pre etc...(to stay in the ARM world). AFAIk, the Pandora Hardware could do Open GL 2.0 but because of the lack of drivers, the OMAP only supports Open GL ES 1 and with more work ES 2.
However, The Pandora is just designed to make us open-Source freaks happy. :D The commercial Consoles are designed to make the big Companies happy... ^_^ No reason to worry.
Uh, but this competitor indeed makes me a little bit nervous: http://www.zii.com/Developer/Landing.aspx

I tried to watch one of the Zii informational videos... my poor brain... either a Zii powered computing is talking, or they're being narrated by the most boring, monotonous human being alive.

Their buzzword fueled bullcrap campaign is only going to get them so far, blatantly claiming that your technology employs "Stemcell" computing, and then backpedalling to say it is, in fact, just regular ol' sheet inspired by the versatility of stem cells is flat out lying.

If anyone bought up OpenPandora, I would want it to be Microsoft. The idea of a hand-held console supported by Visual Studio/C# with as good a developer support framework as the Xbox 360 is mind boggling. Microsoft, unlike everyone else, do it right.

This is why, when being demoed Winmo 6.5 (which they're not calling Winmo 6.5 anymore because it's going to be a "series of releases"), I asked "So, are you going to have an opaque, draconian approval process?" and they proceeded to warstomp Apple by saying that developers will be able to log in and check the status of their approval.

Windows Mobile has got a way to go, but it's also come a long way- even Microsoft readily admit that it has, in the past, been an abysmal mobile operating system compared to the competition- Now... I would actually love to see it available on the Pandora. Sadly that'll never happen.

I was looking through the zii site, not xomprehensively I may add though due to low phone coverage here, all I could find was advertising bs and no actual solid information on what it actually is and what hardware it has.

I have ordered a Pandora and can't wait to get it, I don't particularly like Microsoft, BUT, if Microsoft wanted to make something more or less the same as the Pandora, surely they'd just go ahead and make it? I appreciate the OpenPandora team have done a good job of everything, but I would have thought Microsoft could mimic it reasonably easily in a much shorter time frame, plus while doing it make a bunch of changes that would make it more profitable for them. I could imagine a lot of changes they would make would make it less interesting too...

Isn't more likely that when Microsoft "contacted" OpenPandora they were pushing WinCE?

I'd like to think they were interested in making games for the pandora but you are prob right about pushing Windows Mobile. Chip, feel free to chime in here :)

The fact that the pandora turned such a big head is encouraging at any rate.

Since the Pandora is basically a tweaked Beagle Board crammed into a portable format, I imagine MS wouldn't have any trouble coming up with a clone of their own.

The Pandora and BeagleBoard share the same processor. The similarities end there.
It's like saying the Gamecube is basically a PowerPC G3 with gaming controls attached.

While we're at it, why don't [I'm stupid spammer] the rights to linux to Microsoft. I for one, would be glad to see the mighty MS close the source and lock down everything I can do with my hardware. A dream come true!

I would not be remotely interested in the project if Microsoft took over. I want an open source linux device, not Windows Mobile (Which is undoubtedly what MS would turn the project into.

In short: NOT A CHANCE.

Why is my post telling me I'm a stupid spammer? The [I'm a stupid spammer] is supposed to be "lles ew." backwards. It blocks the phrase. Stupid spam filter.

Wheels said:
Since the Pandora is basically a tweaked Beagle Board crammed into a portable format, I imagine MS wouldn't have any trouble coming up with a clone of their own.
Even quasist in his darkest hour could not come up with a more heinous statement about the pandora, truly reprehensible.

midna25 said:
Why is my post telling me I'm a stupid spammer? The [I'm a stupid spammer] is supposed to be "lles ew." backwards. It blocks the phrase. Stupid spam filter.

LOL... That one's new to me... But it's not a stupid thing, anyone who comes selling camels or cigars will end up telling us:

"[I'm stupid spammer] moron"

:D

Back