Open2x Dr7 For F100 And F200

Ok... thought I might as well post this here.
For some reason, I've lost alot of the TV output options in Open2X, for instance TVout always on, the demon and other, somewhat vital things for cradle use. On top of this, emulators which did work, now completly refuse to work in the cradle (for instance pocket snes wont load games, just hangs on the option screen, Mame goes straight to an ice hockey game I can't remember the name off and freezes). I can get stuff to work in the Compat mode, but that causes me grief too.
However, as you might expect Picodrive still works :D

I've reinstalled all the emulators and that hasn't fixed things, and I've shouted at the GP2X but that didn't seem to work either :D

I'm going to reflash the firmware (I know thats not a good idea, but at the moment I'm effectivly left with a Sega Nomad...) so hopefully that will fix it, but I was just wondering if anyone has any idea why I'd lose menu options?
I can't think for the life of me what could have caused it!

:unsure: woops, forgot you get all the TV modes by pressing Select rather than Start lol.

Still not sure what was causing all the problems with the emulators, but reflashing the fimrware seems to have fixed it :D

Is it safe to install it without an AC adaptor + a BOB ?

I'd like to have all the advantage of it but I don't want to end up with a brick :(

paxl13

paxl13 said:
Is it safe to install it without an AC adaptor + a BOB ?

I'd like to have all the advantage of it but I don't want to end up with a brick :(

paxl13

Fully charged batteries work just as well as an A/C adaptor. This firmware is not updating the bootloader, so there is very little chance of a brick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of the bootloader, how is that peice progessing? I was hoping to upgrade to DR7 from an SDHC. Of course that didn't work and I had to scavenge a 2GB standard SD from my wife's digital camera.
It looks like SDHC support has been included for the bootloader in SVN for some time. Any thoughts on releasing it precompiled? Or could anyone offer any advice on building it from source?

I've been very happy with DR7 so far. Thank you for the great work.

I can't thank you guys enough esp. Sen Quack for making this work on my F-200. This is so much better than FW 4.x.x that there's no comparison. I've been using it for a month now, recently playing SCUMMVM games and Boomshine.

This is the first time I've really played touch games on my F-200 (version A - the one released with fw 4.0.0 that has a separate LCD and touch sensor as opposed to later versions which used a single integrated part). I noticed that my cursor is pretty jumpy on the horizontal axis. It seems to go up to 10 pixels in either direction and is particularly noticeable when dragging a stylus across the screen.

When you finish boomshine you can write your name in the box and I found it almost impossible to write with the cursor jumping back and forth. I didn't really notice a problem with tapping, just with the dragging and it almost seems like it's worse toward the center of the screen. Gamepark did quite a number with reversing the axis between the initial touchscreen release and the final hardware version. I was wondering if the code which corrects the axis might be causing the jumpiness. Honestly I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what the conditions were.

Open2x breathed new life into my GP2X and I'm really using it now, for the first time. There weren't a lot of touch games around while I was on FW 4.0.0 and I never tested it so I don't know if this problem is related to my hardware, the code used by these programs, or the code used by Open2x. I remember using one of those touchscreen test programs when I tried FW 4.1.0, which inverted my touch sensor, but I don't recall the cursor jumping like this.

I know that posting this here suggests that Open2x caused the problem but I don't know for sure. The touch support works well enough, if there is a problem with Open2x then I want to identify it so that it might be corrected in a future release. Open2x is so awesome that I hope there continue to be future releases. Honestly I think the F-200 with it's touch support plays SCUMMVM better that the PSP or DS. It looks better that my old WM2003 PPC but I imagine my wife's iPOD touch might top it.

The touch screen on the F200 is pretty noisy in one direction anyway, so it is probably that you are experiencing (if Fenix were dynamically linked, it'd probably be a lot better in Open2x, because senquack did quite a bit of work on eliminating this in SDL as far as I can remember).

Orkie said:
The touch screen on the F200 is pretty noisy in one direction anyway, so it is probably that you are experiencing (if Fenix were dynamically linked, it'd probably be a lot better in Open2x, because senquack did quite a bit of work on eliminating this in SDL as far as I can remember).

Orkie's right, the F200's touchscreen is very noisy in one direction and I did do a week of work on this trying to improve it. Tapping the stylus was also troublesome because when released, the cursor would jump around wildly sometimes. I fixed that by ignoring touchscreen presses below a value of below about 35,000 or something. I also greatly reduced the CPU load SDL was adding whenever the stylus was held down. The improvements were incorporated into Open2X's SVN version of SDL but unfortunately this improvement came after 99% of GP2X programs were already released. It uses a weighted 15-sample history of touchscreen readings to achieve a much smoother cursor.

There is no way to add this improvement to most existing GP2X games without recompilation. There is no way that Open2X has made your touchscreen worse for the same reason.

If you want to see the improved touchscreen SDL in action, try M-HT's ports of X-COM or X-COM 2 or Albion. I wish I had done it about one year earlier :(

Thanks for replies Orkie and Sen. Quack. I was unaware of the touchscreen issues. It's too bad that the F200 came out so close to the end of the GP2X production. Having a major hardware change like that must have created quite a lot of work for the Open2x team. I'm just glad support was added.

jbrodack said:
allow skins/wallpapers for gmenu2x
include the config program for gmu. while open2x now lets us emulate stick click the config program allowed us to change a bunch of options.
I ported the gmenu2x version of the Liquido skin. You could create a .gpu and copy your own wallpapers to the existing skin.
I started the gmu config manually:
Start - show root on
Select - add section
Select - add link in ...
root/opt/gmu/gmu-setup.gpu

My current issue is no battery meter or volume start change. Uptime is fine but I may only use it an hour every few days. Ryo has a gmenu2x 0.1.2 that I was using with both of these settings working. Will that be incorporated into another release?

Also, I set SD autorun enabled and I have a script that runs and updates the running date to 1/1/2010 00:00 (for backups of config changes). Works when SD is in on boot. Does not work when inserting afterwards.

hitbyambulance said:
for the Open2X-included version of GReader2X, how do i read documents that are not on the NAND? i don't see any way to navigate to the SD folder.

Oh, dear, you found a bug. You can probably tell I don't use my GP2X to read books :) Sorry about that.

Fortunately the fix is easy: hit Select in GReader2X, select Configure, scroll down to DocBase. It should jump to /mnt/sd automatically so just scroll all the way down to [select] and then hit B (I think it's B ) and now /mnt/sd is your new root folder for documents. Of course, you can navigate to a different subfolder if you like.

I will fix this in the next release.

Senor Quack said:
hitbyambulance said:
for the Open2X-included version of GReader2X, how do i read documents that are not on the NAND? i don't see any way to navigate to the SD folder.

Oh, dear, you found a bug. You can probably tell I don't use my GP2X to read books :) Sorry about that.

Fortunately the fix is easy: hit Select in GReader2X, select Configure, scroll down to DocBase. It should jump to /mnt/sd automatically so just scroll all the way down to [select] and then hit B (I think it's B ) and now /mnt/sd is your new root folder for documents. Of course, you can navigate to a different subfolder if you like.

I will fix this in the next release.

Excellent.

I just found a problem with this version of GReader2X - powering off the GP2X while a document of decent size from the SD is loading seems to lock the app up with a permanent "Loading..." screen every subsequent time the app is started, and the only way to exit is to power the GP2X off. Not sure how to fix it...

hitbyambulance said:
Excellent.

I just found a problem with this version of GReader2X - powering off the GP2X while a document of decent size from the SD is loading seems to lock the app up with a permanent "Loading..." screen every subsequent time the app is started, and the only way to exit is to power the GP2X off. Not sure how to fix it...

I'll try to look into that too..

Just FYI, you should be able to use one of my new features I put into Open2X, soft-reset: If anything like this happens instead of powering cycling the gp2x, press LTRIGGER + RTRIGGER + A + B + X + Y + VOLUP + VOLDOWN for a second or two and then release all those buttons and the menu should relaunch unless an app has somehow hard-crashed the gp2x.

For now, though, the way to fix it is to re-flash the firmware.

Senor Quack said:
Just FYI, you should be able to use one of my new features I put into Open2X, soft-reset: If anything like this happens instead of powering cycling the gp2x, press LTRIGGER + RTRIGGER + A + B + X + Y + VOLUP + VOLDOWN for a second or two and then release all those buttons and the menu should relaunch unless an app has somehow hard-crashed the gp2x.

i had forgotten about that; good to know.

is there a way to use a different theme for 'compatibility' mode? i don't like the default Gamepark Holdings default theme for the standard GUI, and there are some nice user-made ones out there.

I decided to dig out my old GP2X last night and thought I might try installing Open2X on it. My F100 is on the firmware 2.0.0. Can I follow the instructions on the Open2X website to update straight away or do I need to update to a newer standard firmware first? I think that I updated the bootloader at some point but I can't remember which version.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the filesystem was changed in one of the newer standard firmwares, along with a few other changes and that you have to step through the different versions to get to the latest, otherwise risk bricking.

Also, is there a new version of Open2X due out soon?? I see this current release is from april. Is Open2X still being actively developed?

Thanks!

Javacat said:
I decided to dig out my old GP2X last night and thought I might try installing Open2X on it. My F100 is on the firmware 2.0.0. Can I follow the instructions on the Open2X website to update straight away or do I need to update to a newer standard firmware first? I think that I updated the bootloader at some point but I can't remember which version.
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the filesystem was changed in one of the newer standard firmwares, along with a few other changes and that you have to step through the different versions to get to the latest, otherwise risk bricking.

No, it shouldn't matter what version you're using. Just be sure to use the correct version for your model: F100 or F200.

Also, is there a new version of Open2X due out soon?? I see this current release is from april. Is Open2X still being actively developed?

Right now it's only mainly only being worked on by me and there are still some bugs to fix and features I'd like to add. I can't say when the next version will be out as I have a busy job and will be doing a long hiking trip and be away from a computer for about half a year this summer so who knows. I just fixed the SDHC bug hopefully, and that was last week. I am also working on a cool GP2X port of a famous SHUMP game that I think everyone will be surprised to see and also maybe happy to see.

Cool news... :)

----OT
I'm also working on SHMP porting...i'm hope this is not the same game... :p

I have a working port of KETM but i have some prob...with Hall of Fame's name insertion and need a hand on code for select game mods at start..

If someone want to help i could send the sources...

----end of OT

Looking forward to a new Open2X revision.
biggrin.gif

Back