On the upgradability of the Pyra

I don’t see any documentation there, but I’d be willing to bet it’s MIPI-CSI2. Unfortunately, the CSI lines on the Pyra SOC board aren’t exposed. Unless someone managed to get under the SOC and safely tack onto the lines this isn’t gonna be compatible with current hardware. As well as this, the speed would have to be managed as CSI consists of high speed differential lines.

The only way I see us getting camera support with current hardware is USB camera.
Well, only one lane of CSI is exposed on the extra B2B connector (which is not used/installed on the Pyra mainboard). There was a technical restriction why we were not able to add two or four lane CSI. Maybe a pinmux conflict with something else.
AFAIR, the ov5640 module is able to be operated in CSI single lane mode depending on some pinout options. This sensor is quite well available so it might be possible to find one capable of CSI.

So, thinking about this. I have microSDXC to USB 2.0 card readers that sequester the card -inside- the USB port.
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTR64ZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using that concept, could it theoretically be possible to design a USB camera roughly the same form factor so that the dot-sized lens points straight out from the port? I.e. a USB camera roughly the size of the USB plug itself? Think something like this with a couple of chips and a tiny camera mounted to it instead of LEDs.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNFwoSwhbM

The Pyra SATA adapter is another example of small board-only USB devices.

It would likely be a real low resolution not awesome camera and not much good beyond taking pictures of bar codes and would be worthless for selfies without a short extension cable.

I'm not even sure why I'm running down this rabbit hole. I don't even want a camera on my Pyra.[/code]

Hate to necropost, but does anyone know why ED chose to use a proprietary daughterboard/motherboard system rather than use an existing standard like SMARC or Qseven?

Back