On the upgradability of the Pyra

Kev2442

Still French
@Grench's ideas look great to me, especially the Pyramote and Parallel. But let's not divert ED's attention too much from the weakest point in the Pyra : it's CPU. Better make a more powerful device, then when it's good all around, we can think about diversifying the boards.
We can still come up with new stuff (I'm thinking of a NAS), but we should not try to produce them before we have a solid start in selling the original Pyra and conceiving its upgrades.

λ the β-Redex Reducer Jr.

β-Redex Reducing Member
there were a few threads about cameras back in the day . consensus of opinion was the majority of users did not want one.
I'm not sure how that consensus was determined, but a small majority from years ago being against the camera does not mean that it would not be a cool upgrade.

My top 4 is:
- Camera
- More memory (e.g. internal, more SD slots, or SD slots supporting newer SD cards)
- Remove all ports and replace them with USB-C ports
- Other keyboard layout

daveshah

Very Active Member
imo, it's the GPU that's the weak point not the CPU. Lack of OpenGL ES3, Vulkan, or any realistic chance of open drivers are quite limiting, whereas the Cortex A15 still has plenty of raw power. Lack of ARM64 is a shame, but with a few exceptions it's easier to recompile software than make it work with an older GLES version.

Kev2442

Still French
Indeed, yet a better CPU would still be appreciated, especially for emulation. Let's face it, we won't have many games developed for the Pyra pushing its limits, most will be ports and emulators. And those like raw power, be it for accuracy or software rendering.

Grench

Forum Addict!
I don't think there is much point in pursuing anything that doesn't double the performance per watt of the existing while staying within the existing envelope. I.e. it is going to have to be something in the 10nm or maybe 14nm process space while still being something that this project can actually obtain and afford.

In the meantime, we actually have a heck of an SoC with nearly every connection it can provide -and then some really- exposed. Frankly, we haven't even seen the beginning of the start to what the existing SoC is capable of. Don't underestimate the power of a niche community in the quality of games and applications that can get created or ported.