On the upgradability of the Pyra

As "OP", I can confirm I meant this as "closer to a desktop in upgradeability than pretty much anything else, as RAM and drives aside you can't change much on most laptops, and we're not even talking about your average smartphones". It doesn't mean it is fully customizable.
Yet with everyone talking about "the future CPU upgrade board" without mentioning compatibility with the existing boards and cases, I kinda forgot how these are only objectives.
Well the main board is pretty much just an I/O interface and charging circuit, I think outside of USB-C and lack of 5G it's fairly future proof. The CPU board is essentially a stand-alone system, It contains the CPU, RAM and storage eMMC, that makes up pretty much the important parts. So an upgraded CPU board will essentially give you a whole new system. Honestly think hns did a good job thinking about the modular nature of the current design. Pehaps in the future, if there happens to be a SoC solution that doesn't fit the modular CPU design, perhaps the size of the SoC is too big or some other limiting factor, it may be the easier and cheaper solution to do a single board that has all the components on it, just reuses the casing and such, perhaps update to USB C and better modem...

All theoretical of course, EvilDragon may just have had enough of this crazy thing by now...

yes, i'm sure it depends on whether ED makes his money back on this, whether it will be worth any trouble to make an upgrade. that requires selling 3000+ pyras (approximately, not sure the latest based on financials, it's probably higher by now), and it'd be nice to do at least 10k to feel a bit more successful as a niche player.

but having everything replaceable, even with the current pyra gen tech, means that the pyra is more future proof than just about anything (mobile-wise) on the market. it also gives me more confidence since ED has been selling pandora stuff in the shop forever, that pyra parts will continue to be around, and the device will be serviceable for the next ten or so years.

Well, It's not a mix&match of P&P boards (which would only be possible with lots of room and heat to spare, like in tower boxes or so, and in the last decades ever less easy). You can't have PCIe slots and DIMM banks in this form factor. But one could still change the CPU board with something maybe with more RAM, a more powerful CPU, or something with lower power requirements (in the more distant future), or with freer drivers, without replacing all peripherals.

But it is also future-proff in that being modular also helps in replacing a board with an identical one when something breaks. It's more repairable this way.

I think outside of USB-C and lack of 5G it's fairly future proof
5G is probably not important anyway because it lacks range so it won't replace 4G completely, right? USB-C is pretty bummer but USB-Micro is pretty good too.

Also, I'm not sure I really trust 5G. I actually prefer not having it. If I do not need it then I do not want it.

At least in the UK, 5G will eventually be deployed in the 700MHz band (somewhat controversially as this will result in the scrapping of 700MHz audio equipment) so would give similar range to 4G. But given that 4G has been around a long time and 3G switch off is only just being talked about, I don't think it will disappear any time soon. There are significant numbers of embedded devices using 4G that would be a long and slow process to replace.

As for not trusting 5G, then really you are better off having all wireless modems disabled in that case.

As for not trusting 5G, then really you are better off having all wireless modems disabled in that case.
I would love to, but it's impossible. I live with people who want wireless and even if we turned our wireless off then our neighbours would not. We'd still be getting radiation. But I would definitely love to live in a place where there is no wireless and everyone just uses RJ-45 or Ethernet-Over-Powerline if they want to go online.

Whit my Unlimited 4G, i watched Netflix this weekend in the Vosquese in French, and it worked quite well,
Whit 5G, the Video Quality where much higher, but also the Batterie whould lost much more current..

Also im a bit unsure wheter i should stick my SIM from my Iphone in my Pyra, as Charing the Data via WLAN from the Iphone as Hotspot also works quite good

Maybe i change the SIM in my Watch back to a Physical SIM Card, and put this in my Pyra as i ditnt use the Mobile Data on my Watch that often anymore since i drive more whit my Bike where i have a Back for my Phone..

When im go Running, whit shorts and just a T-Shirt, Cap and my Running Shues, i used my Watch as a Music Streaming Device so i ditnt need the Big Phone, and this was cool because i ditnt had to a Bag for my Phone..

5G is probably not important anyway because it lacks range so it won't replace 4G completely, right?

T- mobile is structuring it on multiple frequencies so yes it does have range and it's already 3x faster than LTE without mmWave spectrum.
Post automatically merged:

But I would definitely love to live in a place where there is no wireless and everyone just uses RJ-45 or Ethernet-Over-Powerline if they want to go online.

If you are in the US there is a town like that since they have a very sensitive telescope.

"Pocahontas County in West Virginia falls within the National Radio Quiet Zone."

There are a few aspects to the modular nature of the Pyra design that I think get missed. Upgrading the SoC / RAM / eMMC board gets talked about a lot - but consider flipping that around.

Now that the Pyra's SoC / RAM / eMMC board exists, it could hypothetically be used in additional device form factors with software compatibility to the Pyra.

Pyrathin - about 1/2 to 2/3 of the thickness of a Pyra
Same SoC as Pyra
Same keymat as Pyra
Same screen as Pyra
Somewhat changed main I/O board
(3) USB C ports (thinner) (2 work at USB 2.0 speeds, 1 works as USB 3.0 OTG)
(3) microSDXC ports (one internal, two where the SDXC ports are)
Skinny stylus
No 4G (it is a thick module due to antenna)
A 1/2 thickness (and half life) battery
Modified case plastics to be a svelte (thin) as possible.

PyraTV (or Pyraputer)
Same SoC / RAM / eMMC as Pyra
Somewhat changed I/O board
No screen, no keymat, no nubs, no shoulders, no battery. Pretty much a Pyra SoC module in a tiny box with an HDMI port and the USB ports.

Pyramote
Same SoC layout as Pyra but with minimal (cheapest) RAM (128MB?) and eMMC (4GB?)
Same Keymat/nubs
No SDXC card slots, no USB ports, slim Pyrathin battery
Looks like a screenless Pyra, but is a bluetooth game controller for the PyraTV (and for the Pyra and Pyrathin)

Pyranimal (A handheld terminal)
Same minimal / cheapened SoC module as Pyramote
Physically the same as a Pyra.
Battery compartment becomes cable storage
Powered over USB from the host device / computer / server / game console / etc.
HDMI port becomes HDMI input
USB OTG port connects to host
Presents to the host HDMI as an HDMI monitor
Presents to the host USB as a USB hub with (3) SDXC card slots, (2) USB 2.0 ports, (1) eSATA, keyboard, touchscreen mouse, two two-button joysticks (shoulders)

Pyrallel
An ATX form factor 'motherboard' with mount spots for (16) Pyra SoC / RAM / eMMC modules
48 full sized SDXC slots (3 per module).
Built in gigabit ethernet switch providing network to all 16 modules.
16 SATA plugs (one for each module)
Built in KVM switch to switch HDMI / keyboard / mouse / other ports from one module to the next (and three LEDs to display, in binary, -which- module is on-screen-controls.
Think game hosting server OR a Wolfpack Linux database server running PostreSQL.
As each Pyra SoC module is an independent computer / server, each can be upgraded independently (or be absent - room to grow).

Other possibilities?

You want a camera on a server? On a game controller? On a set top box? On a terminal?
I do not see the relevance.
On the Pyra, of course. He was not limited to making up versions that are a game controller, server, set top box, or terminal. He could have made up a bulge version of the Pyra that's the Pyra with a camera.

Last edited:
If you want a surveillance device, get a smartphone.
I want a surveillance device that works for me, not on me!
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, I was being slightly sardonic. However, multifunction devices tend to complicate control, unless there is a hardware kill switch.
I do not mind a hardware switch. The Librem 5 has one too.

Back