Of boards and displays

It's inching closer to the finishing line. Good things come to those who wait.

I must say, the first time I opened the box and took out my pandora was kinda special. I had so much fun mucking about with it for a whole year, practically non-stop.

Roll on the Pyra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even sure if I ever touched the Pandora screen with my fingers at all.
I just tried it while reading about the lack of responsiveness for the test touchscreen.  My Pandora requires more pressure and fumbling around than I am comfortable with.  It makes more sense to me to shift my grip to one hand with a finger or two behind the lid, thumb under the display, grab my stylus and use it, while avoiding fingerprints.  I use a screen protector, so I may have to push harder than, plus using a stylus feels better and "right".
You might have one of those touchscreens from a batch which had that issue :)
I blame the screen protector.  It seems plenty sensitive when I don't want it to be, which causes misclicks and stuff, and that is when I don't think I even have the stylus on the screen.  I can add a note about that when I send it in (I promise, I will eventually...maybe) if you think that needs to be looked out.  I am more concerned about the difference in pressure required on different parts of the screen to get the same response, although that doesn't bother me much, and I did try to make sure the tabs are all correct and there is nothing stuck in there.  I could take my screen protector off to see if it fixes issues, but I am fine with it for now.  Thanks for the heads up, though.

oeh nude boards

http://t.co/MmY8FNBjSj

http://t.co/SyKHZ6OxLQ

http://t.co/vPUvNUCGdj

kwijl.gif

Nice, saw it allready in Twitter, but there are also peaple whitout twitter..

Glad to see the Bare Boards are ready, even whitout the Parts on it,

But you can allready messure out they fit in the Case..

Are these Boards also made by Clobal Components, or do they just put the Parts on they??

Nice, saw it allready in Twitter, but there are also peaple whitout twitter..

Glad to see the Bare Boards are ready, even whitout the Parts on it,

But you can allready messure out they fit in the Case..

Are these Boards also made by Clobal Components, or do they just put the Parts on they??
Neither.

Boards were made by Würth and its me who will manually put the parts on them (asap and as soon as the missing coil has arrived).

GC will do the reflow soldering (vapor phase machine). This is only doable this way for prototyping.

But for mass production GC will order the boards wherever appropriate and use their pick&place machine.

-- hns

PS: I changed the nickname (ex. gta04)  because some people were confused.

From the picture it appears keyboard backlighting may be AltGr + Dpad Up/Down, and screen brightness could be AltGr + PgUp/PgDn. If AltGr is essentially Left Control + Right Alt, I thought there'd be reservations about putting these shortcuts with those controls. Control + Alt + Up/Down(or PgUp/PgDn) are already set in some programs. 

Also, I see the letters are "centered", if the labels on the PCB are anything to go by. Time will tell. Looking good.  :)

Interesting.  I was somewhat surprised to see the that the CPU board was printed on the same piece of substrate as the main board.  For some reason I had imagined that the difference in structure (number of layers) would require them to be printed separately. 

- Neelix

Interesting.  I was somewhat surprised to see the that the CPU board was printed on the same piece of substrate as the main board.  For some reason I had imagined that the difference in structure (number of layers) would require them to be printed separately. 

- Neelix
This is not the final CPU board, just an interim revision that would not work if the OMAP5 would be soldered to it. It is for testing the PCB production data - and is used as an adapter to the OMAP5432EVM.

The "real" CPU board will have more layers and smaller copper traces, so it must be produced separately.

Neither.

Boards were made by Würth and its me who will manually put the parts on them (asap and as soon as the missing coil has arrived).

GC will do the reflow soldering (vapor phase machine). This is only doable this way for prototyping.

But for mass production GC will order the boards wherever appropriate and use their pick&place machine.
You will put in every part by hand? Wow!  :ph34r:  Such tiny stuff, I never could do that. Or if I did, there would be alot of parts left over. :D

Just out of curiosity, how are the measuerements of the PCB(s)? I may be make a 3D dummy to play around in 123D design and fit an self designed case around. :)

Neither.

You will put in every part by hand? Wow!  :ph34r:  Such tiny stuff, I never could do that. Or if I did, there would be alot of parts left over. :D

Just out of curiosity, how are the measuerements of the PCB(s)? I may be make a 3D dummy to play around in 123D design and fit an self designed case around. :)
Well, you must have

* tools (e.g. stereo microscope)

* a calm hand

* experience

* and use some secret tricks and magic words :)

But it is not necessary that everyone can do that. People are different and everybody has his/her own strengths.

PS: I changed the nickname (ex. gta04)  because some people were confused.
May you soon have a new populated and functioning system board to use as a new avatar photo as well.  (Well wishes for the prototypes.)

I'm curious... So you line up the components with a series of solder pads on the board, then it is heated in a vacuum to re-flow the solder?  How do you keep the board and components from shifting when it's moved from the bench top to the vacuum oven?  Some kind of glue?

Neither.

Well, you must have

* tools (e.g. stereo microscope)

* a calm hand

* experience

* and use some secret tricks and magic words :)

But it is not necessary that everyone can do that. People are different and everybody has his/her own strengths.
Don't you also have to stick your tounge out at just the right angle? :p

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but will the Pyra be able to make phone calls and send SMS texts if its the 3G version? I would LOVE to replace my phone with a Pyra entirely if I could.

Hello ED,

Thanks for the update. We all appreciate it!

Have you seen the questions that are waiting for you over in the "Ask EvilDragon Questions" section?

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but will the Pyra be able to make phone calls and send SMS texts if its the 3G version? I would LOVE to replace my phone with a Pyra entirely if I could.
Yes, but phone calls will probably work best with a headset, as it's probably not comfortable to hold it to your ear ;)

Hello ED,

Thanks for the update. We all appreciate it!

Have you seen the questions that are waiting for you over in the "Ask EvilDragon Questions" section?
Yes, just need more time (or clone myself ;) )

Back