Got displays, looking for keymats

Exactly, when the lid is open, you barely have space to push the upper button.

The mini controller has huge shoulder buttons compared to the Pyra or Pandora. And don't forget we have a lot of ports as well :)
I get it now.  Side by side will need to be fine.

About the idea of using two real buttons per side instead of an around-the-corner flapping paddle?

And don't forget we have a lot of ports as well :)
I lean in no direction regarding the shoulder buttons, but if you would go with the side-by-side solution, would there be enough room for "a lot of ports" ?

Exactly, when the lid is open, you barely have space to push the upper button.

The mini controller has huge shoulder buttons compared to the Pyra or Pandora. And don't forget we have a lot of ports as well :)

I get it now.  Side by side will need to be fine.

About the idea of using two real buttons per side instead of an around-the-corner flapping paddle?

I say no, because L/R2 would probably be fine to press, but not L/R1.

And about the NeoGeoX Style:

That looks good on that device, but the Pyra is more as double as high. I'd like to see some design ideas. I hope it will look awesome. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't double as high. In fact, the NeoGeoX is almost identical to the base part of the Pyra or Pandora (and you can't put shoulders wher the opened lid is).

With the hinge and lid it is about as double as high.

With the shoulder buttons on the backside (side by side) it may look odd.

My Idea is not to give them a square shape. I would make them more vertical and not in the same color as the base unit. Maybe a panel on the back would look fine.

Assuming the two main shoulder buttons will be Shift and Ctrl, how does pressing them solely by themselves with the lid closed(or open) trigger an erroneous event? If I pressed the Ctrl or Shift key on my keyboard all day, it would do absolutely nothing. Unless I mapped the shoulders in some media playback program as Play or Next Track, it wouldn't be any sort of problem to have them stick out a tad to make them easier to press for the user. As I understand it, the new Pandora case is more roomy so the slight jut of the shoulders wouldn't have any impact placing a Pyra into that case.
Well assuming it's setup like the Pandora, it will wake the device up from low power mode if pressed.

Also not everyone uses the Pandora case, but the case doesn't really matter..

Also I hate overhanging triggers on current consoles.. I just want to put my controller down on the couch for a minute while in a game, however when I do so I throw a grenade or fire my gun when doing so.
I see now how protruding shoulder triggers would be a bit of a nuisance in those two cases. You must of adored the Gamecube's triggers then. :)

With the hinge and lid it is about as double as high.

With the shoulder buttons on the backside (side by side) it may look odd.

My Idea is not to give them a square shape. I would make them more vertical and not in the same color as the base unit. Maybe a panel on the back would look fine.
Maybe not being able to use the space above the current shoulders has to do with the stronger hinge occupying the area? Forum member mrbazil2k did a concept pic(the original picture has disappeared from the forum so excuse the quality and sizing please) of two shoulders stacked that I liked:

6pkjzyL.jpg

If they are moved out a little to the edges and vertically placed, instead of horizontally as shown, then maybe it could be implemented into real hardware.

It's a shame that gamecubes triggers takes so much space, because they're lovely. Pandora's triggers are absolutely horrid. They get the job done, but I do not enjoy using them.

Maybe not being able to use the space above the current shoulders has to do with the stronger hinge occupying the area?
The problem is that the lid covers part of the backside when its fully open.

Maybe not being able to use the space above the current shoulders has to do with the stronger hinge occupying the area?
The problem is that the lid covers part of the backside when its fully open.
Good point and very true, for the Pandora. The thicker lid with that old clamshell opened the full 180° which only a minority of users found admittedly comfortable.

Pandora-Bilder-3-e1364044928686.jpg

The thicker lid with that old clamshell opened the full 180° which only a minority of users found admittedly comfortable.
You know this for a fact?

The truth lies somewhere in between.

Especially my display is hard to read with fully opened lid, but there are better displays as well.

The real fact is that there are both kinds of users and both have to be respected.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

Especially my display is hard to read with fully opened lid, but there are better displays as well.

The real fact is that there are both kinds of users and both have to be respected.
When I first opened my first batch Pandora's lid to it's extreme, I thought maybe the hinge would break away. It was bit much but solidly built. ;)

Although for the 3DS XL, this review mentions the three set viewing angles of nintendo's clamshell. The reviewer's opinion is the 160° position is the most agreeable angle.

The thicker lid with that old clamshell opened the full 180° which only a minority of users found admittedly comfortable.
I could say the reverse to you. I take it you find the full opened range more comfortable?
You made the claim. You have the burden of proof :)
A burden asserted by another is light as a feather on one's shoulders. :p
I need not assert it. It is yours by definition and as such requires no assertion. For this claim I present the following wikipedia page as proof of the definition.

I could say the reverse to you. I take it you find the full opened range more comfortable?
You made the claim. You have the burden of proof :)
A burden asserted by another is light as a feather on one's shoulders. :p
I need not assert it. It is yours by definition and as such requires no assertion. For this claim I present the following wikipedia page as proof of the definition.
A Wikipedia article with an example about gumballs and how suspension of belief/thinking/initiative occurs(by the article's accuser) from a lack of persuasive evidence presented from the deemed "responsible" party of the original declaration.

Nonsense to me though as I would of sought the answer out myself by counting the number of gumballs. :lol:

I hope EvilDragon reads this:

It may sound crazy, but could you add some spare L+R solder pads like in the Pandora?

I'm thinking about handling an analog controller properly in emulators. They have L3/R3 buttons in the analog sticks and sometimes these buttons have to be pressed while moving the stick.

To do so on a Pandora (lets consider we have mapped L3 to Q and R3 to P), we can put our middle fingers on the shoulder buttons, the thumbs on the nubs and the index fingers on Q and P. That's not very comfortable.

So what I have in mind is the option of a triple shoulder button mod.

@N3Cr0: I've read that Pyra's nubs will also have buttons in them, just like PS analog sticks.

Back