Of boards and displays

With 8 week lead times, April shouldn't be entirely impossible, but I think ED can't afford the stress that such a tight schedule would give.

And we all know the curse of "two months", so don't provoke it. :p

Eerrrm, we should also test the Prototype devices before we order the real ones :D

So it'll not be April.

But as we got 30 OMAPs and LCDs, you should be able to buy a prototype as well (for a higher price, that is).

Sounds like we have an exotic hardware combination for the screen and the rotator chip, otherwise this issue would affect much more devices that use this chip.

Upon testing, we found that the first touchscreen we received for our displays was not responsive enough.

It's similar to a batch of Pandora touchscreens we had: It works fine with the stylus, but doesn't really react to your fingers (unless you press really hard).
Fingers? Who uses Fingers, that's not retro! ;) I'm not even sure if I ever touched the Pandora screen with my fingers at all. :D That's basicly the reason why I hope for a good Pyra stylus, larger than the one for the Pandora. If I use the Touchscreen, I would like to use it comfortably with an stylus.

Luckily it's not the RGB LEDs.

There is a worldwide shortage of them from time to time ;) .
Only for one person. ^^

Well, then maybe May :) , il be sure to be one of the first orderers.
Forget it. You may know that even if there is a perfect working, flawless prototype of the Pyra at the end of February, it may be take until the end of the year at least, until you can hold the finished device in your own hands. Prototype --> mass production is a long process, the tooling alone for the Case can take months if everything goes straight, not to mention production, shipping, assembling... Ordering parts could be another issue, like ED already mentioned, one single missing coil can stop the entire production. Again, working (!) Prototype and final mass-prodduct are almost 2 different things. Otherwise there would not be so much delayed Kickstarter (hardware) campaigns. And many of them already have a working prototype when they start the campaigns. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even sure if I ever touched the Pandora screen with my fingers at all.
I just tried it while reading about the lack of responsiveness for the test touchscreen.  My Pandora requires more pressure and fumbling around than I am comfortable with.  It makes more sense to me to shift my grip to one hand with a finger or two behind the lid, thumb under the display, grab my stylus and use it, while avoiding fingerprints.  I use a screen protector, so I may have to push harder than, plus using a stylus feels better and "right".  

I'm not even sure if I ever touched the Pandora screen with my fingers at all.
I just tried it while reading about the lack of responsiveness for the test touchscreen.  My Pandora requires more pressure and fumbling around than I am comfortable with.  It makes more sense to me to shift my grip to one hand with a finger or two behind the lid, thumb under the display, grab my stylus and use it, while avoiding fingerprints.  I use a screen protector, so I may have to push harder than, plus using a stylus feels better and "right".
You might have one of those touchscreens from a batch which had that issue :)

On my 1GHz Pandora I need way too much pressure even with a stylus. It's a shame because in several other ways it's better than my CC unit. I'd swap the touchscreens if I wasn't afraid of breaking it.

I'm glad this is something that ED and gta04 are paying close attention to with Pyra, I'd really hate to see something like this happen again. Especially since Pandora and Pyra are otherwise better fits for some touch-heavy DS games than Android devices are.

@exophase: If you send me your Pandora, I can replace the screen.
Thanks, but my two Pandoras are too busy. My CC unit is generating brown noise to the speakers in my bedroom and my GHz unit is where I test DraStic (when the Linux x86 version doesn't suffice). That may be pretty much all I use it for these days but it's a pretty important function that I wouldn't want to be without for any length of time. It's not really that big of a deal since I don't need to touch it too much.

Can't wait to replace the dev Pandora with a Pyra though.

"Seems like a touch, touch to much" (ACDC)

Sorry couldnt resist ^^

Thanks to Giggo from the German Openhandhelds Forum (forum.gp2x.de) whe now also have a german translation of this Blogpost..

I ditnt decided yet how i will use my pyra as a phone, but i will devinitly use it as a pandora ..

Hopefully my Stock Dividende will be a lot..

What about the telephony chip? Will there be a US version of the Pyra for US phone networks? Sorry for off topic, but I really need to know, since I want to replace my phone.
Well, I first need to find out what's so special about US - but we can use all of the 3G/4G chips available from the same manufacturer - they're pin compatible.
THANKS! This makes me feel a lot better. All you really need to know, is the US uses a different set of frequencies for some backwards reason, so US customers need their Pyras to have the PLS8-US or the PHS8 chip. We can't use the PLS8-E one for anything.

And congratulations getting the rotator working!
The US mobile phone scenario is complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies

Don't forget that over 1/2 of the US is on CDMA based networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_the_Americas#United_States

From looking at this...

http://m2m.gemalto.com/products/industrial-plus.html

Does that mean that CDMA users in the US would need a PXS8?  Or would they all need to switch carriers to something else?  If something else, what/who/where?

Back