OBOX (by Snail Games USA) - another Android gaming console

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Join-the-Revolution-1024x530.jpg

LOS ANGELES, CA – Snail Games USA will debut its groundbreaking lineup of gaming devices at the 2015 International CES in Las Vegas. The move comes as Snail looks to expand its mobile gaming hardware and software business into the American market.
http://snailgamesusa.com/2014/12/new-snail-gaming-hardware-to-launch-at-2015-international-ces/

Specs (pdf)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_Games]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_Games

Really interesting device.

i get curious about

- there are 3 HDMI output ports?

- MLB port?? <- why? for what?

about the device. i really like the concept

K1 Quad-core 2.0Ghz -> Removable! :D

RAM 4GB

2.5" or 3.5" HDD BAY

active ventilation system

5.1 audio output

SPDIF output

2*USB 2.0 (HOST)

1*USB 3.0 (HOST)

Wifi is 5Ghz Dual-Band (nice!)

LAN is 10/100 Mbs Ethernet. I would have put a Gigabit lan port.

and there is a feature that i consider so weird:

Security: Anti-Root

what mean this? is a method for avoid users to root the device?

If the device cannot be rooted, will be a big problem for many users.
Thanks Deen0X :)

http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-devices/snailireadygo-devices-for-2015/?PHPSESSID=ua0ivtep1bqottj6b6ct5e4s52

Not sure what's up with some of the unnecessary specs?

Security: Anti-Root what mean this? is a method for avoid users to root the device? If the device cannot be rooted, will be a big problem for many users.

Thats a pretty big F*ck you too. 

From my past experinces with the gamestick i can tell: Keep you hands away! Those newcomers ironically have a more closed hardware than the big companies. 

Oh yea if you care what the matter was: The gamestick refused to boot without a WLAN connection and since i do not have one... 

Odds are that it will sell better that way seeing that this is what the mainstream wants. 

Where is the dislike button btw? 

So tired of endless spamdroid devices...
 Do you prefer iOS or Windows Mobile? At least the Software library of Android is almost endless. Well, OK, it's also huge on Apple OS but well, it's Apple, it does not count. :D

Let's make the Pyra Android-only and as closed as possible! :D
The real trick is to make an Android device as open as possible. ;)  Well, the Pyra may not be an Android Device but I'm sure it can run Android (if Notaz ever makes another port), even better than the Pandora did. AND it also can run alot of Linux distributions. AND it's open, so everything is fine, no worries. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
No clue about Mobile windows but I doubt I simply can copy and play all my Windows games onto the mobile version. The old x86<--->ARM problem... ;)

Well, the Pyra may not be an Android Device but I'm sure it can run Android (if Notaz ever makes another port), even better than the Pandora did. AND it also can run alot of Linux distributions. AND it's open, so everything is fine, no worries. ^^
There you go, Android 4.2.2 for your Pyra. Ready for download:

Http://software-dl.ti.com/omap/omap5/omap5_public_sw/OMAP5432-EVM/5AJ_1_5_Release/index_FDS.html
https://www.youtube.com/embed/WWaLxFIVX1s?feature=oembed

Forget the stupid settop box, I want to know more about this phone.  It has L1L2 R1R2, 4G LTE, 2 analog sticks, a dpad, and 4 keys on the right...  If these controls are worth a damn this could be a sweet setup to stream from your desktop PC on the go VIA Limelight.

Definitely interested.

Well, the Pyra may not be an Android Device but I'm sure it can run Android (if Notaz ever makes another port), even better than the Pandora did. AND it also can run alot of Linux distributions. AND it's open, so everything is fine, no worries. ^^

Http://software-dl.ti.com/omap/omap5/omap5_public_sw/OMAP5432-EVM/5AJ_1_5_Release/index_FDS.html
Wow, they are fast, cool. ^^  I will immediatly test it onto my Pyra...uh...wait a sec... :rolleyes:

It's OMAP compatible but will it also be full "Pyra compatible" without deeper adjustments to match the special Hardware (WiFi chip, controls, etc...)?

Wow, they are fast, cool. ^^  I will immediatly test it onto my Pyra...uh...wait a sec... :rolleyes:

It's OMAP compatible but will it also be full "Pyra compatible" without deeper adjustments to match the special Hardware (WiFi chip, controls, etc...)?
Should. We're closely following the Devboard, so everything that works on the devboard should work out of the box on the Pyra as well.

Windows 8.1 (and the upcoming Windows 10) are actually the full Windows experience on tablets.

Windows = also endless software libray
With PYRA's replaceable SoC board, Windows is not at all impossible if ED releases an x86 SoC board in the future.

Windows 8.1 (and the upcoming Windows 10) are actually the full Windows experience on tablets.

Windows = also endless software libray
"The full Windows experience" is what I don't like and it's a bit terrifying actually.

"endless software library" ends for me because it's on windows.

Should. We're closely following the Devboard, so everything that works on the devboard should work out of the box on the Pyra as well.
Nice. Did you already tested Android onto the Devboard? Can't remember if that already happend or not. ^^"Would be also nice if TI releases a newer Android Version some day. The one from that link seem a little bit dated.

Back