nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

I think products with the 64 bit K1 wont be seen until Q4 this year, I'd guess Oct/Nov

Thanks, klump.

Also, whoops, yes, I meant Shield portable 2.

And yes, I already have a Shield, which I still need to throw into a furnace in protest to nVIDIA's recent shitty announcements.

I hear you man.  I was expecting a Shield Portable 2 and not another tablet.  Luckily, we still have Pyra to look forward to ...  Just hope ED will make a Tegra K1 or equivalent SoC daughterboard soon after Pyra's release :)

I hear you man.  I was expecting a Shield Portable 2 and not another tablet.  Luckily, we still have Pyra to look forward to ...  Just hope ED will make a Tegra K1 or equivalent SoC daughterboard soon after Pyra's release :)
This would make me happy.  I would probably wait to order if it seemed like it might happen.

For those of you with Shield Portables, Nvidia added some more games to GRID today. Borderlands 1&2 to name a few. I've actually been playing Darksiders through this service, and it's awesome. Hopefully I can finish part 1&2 before Nvidia decides to start charging for this service :p

Chris

This would make me happy.  I would probably wait to order if it seemed like it might happen.
That was just wishful thinking.  Anyway, you still have to buy the whole Pyra first in order to use another SoC board.  So why wait?  Also, it was just wishful thinking on my part as a more powerful SoC daughterboard won't come out anytime soon after Pyra as that would be self-destruction to ED's shop.   I would say at least 2 years after Pyra's release only then Ed would be thinking about a new SoC board.

For those of you with Shield Portables, Nvidia added some more games to GRID today. Borderlands 1&2 to name a few. I've actually been playing Darksiders through this service, and it's awesome. Hopefully I can finish part 1&2 before Nvidia decides to start charging for this service :p

Chris
Yeah, they did a good job on this GRID thing.  I was in awe as all the games were running full speed and looking stunning on the Shield, and I am on the East coast while the GRID server is on the West coast USA.  The Shield is still a very powerful device so I thnk that is why NVIDIA is not talking about Shiled Portable 2 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, you still have to buy the whole Pyra first in order to use another SoC board.
Unless complete units are sold with the new SoCs.  I probably wouldn't wait, but if I didn't, and the new CPU boards weren't cheap, I would have to wait a while to buy the new one.  Then what would I do with the old one?

I would say at least 2 years after Pyra's release only then Ed would be thinking about a new SoC board.
If everything about the Pyra is as amazing as I imagine the design allows for the perfect way to upgrade it.  We get to keep everything we are already using and just throw in the new CPU PCB.  I know that is part of why it was done, but it is still a great idea for a portable device, and is an improvement on the way desktop computers do it, imo.

Unless complete units are sold with the new SoCs. I probably wouldn't wait, but if I didn't, and the new CPU boards weren't cheap, I would have to wait a while to buy the new one. Then what would I do with the old one?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beonashow/flogit12
I think the number of people that would potentially buy the lower spec CPU board for a device that they need to pay full price of that device in addition to the board to make use of is very small.  I think that group will be even smaller shortly after the release of the Pyra since it will still be under warranty.  I don't think it would be worth my time and effort to sell it, as I would not get much for it.

Chris
Yeah, they did a good job on this GRID thing.  I was in awe as all the games were running full speed and looking stunning on the Shield, and I am on the East coast while the GRID server is on the West coast USA.  The Shield is still a very powerful device so I thnk that is why NVIDIA is not talking about Shiled Portable 2 yet.
I agree. The shield is a monster as is, so I'm sure the need to upgrade isn't that great from an internal stand point at Nvidia. On the other hand, tech devices are always about the latest and greatest, so I'm sure a revision will be here sooner than later(at least I'm hoping as much).

The screen size is good, but with the bezel the way it is currently, there's space being wasted. I wouldn't turn down a bigger screen, but if it make the device stay bulky, I would rather keep the current size and have the rest of the unit reduced slightly. I would also like to have some form of rumble added in. I know that won't be good for battery life, but it really is missed, especially for emulation of games where I remember having it vividly. Overall I love the Shield, and if they never make a new, it would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Especially with Pyra coming at some point. 

I'm still amazed by the speakers on this thing, and I wonder how well they work on the tablet. BTW, did anyone here order one? Hopefully we'll here back from someone soon with their opinions.

Chris

I think the number of people that would potentially buy the lower spec CPU board for a device that they need to pay full price of that device in addition to the board to make use of is very small.  I think that group will be even smaller shortly after the release of the Pyra since it will still be under warranty.  I don't think it would be worth my time and effort to sell it, as I would not get much for it.
But, but you might get to be on TV. ;)

BTW, did anyone here order one? Hopefully we'll here back from someone soon with their opinions.
At first I was really disappointed since me too I was hoping for a successor of the Shield portabel. But since the tablet really looks promising and since it will be released in europe as well (my shield portable preorder in the usa along with paket forwarding service and customs was quite expensive) I preordered one, altogether with the controller and the cover. It won't be out here in germany before august 14 or so I think, but I'm really curious how it will perform (me too I am hoping for good results with dolphin). Maybe I'll even find the time to code something in android for it after all.

Back