nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

that controller is said to be one of those ultra low latency wireless controllers, last I checked there were only like 2-3 out there boasting that.

I never tried one before, but normal bluetooth latency has turned me off from using them entirely for gaming. I'd like to do a hands on first before buying the controller. Not interested in another tablet though.
The Wii(U) uses Bluetooth for the controllers, seems to work fairly well - or do hardcore gamers wrinkle their nose about it 

that controller is said to be one of those ultra low latency wireless controllers, last I checked there were only like 2-3 out there boasting that.

I never tried one before, but normal bluetooth latency has turned me off from using them entirely for gaming. I'd like to do a hands on first before buying the controller. Not interested in another tablet though.
Bluetooth latency is one of the the 3 reasons I don't use it with mobile devices.  The other 2 are somewhat security/privacy related.

it uses a direct wifi link instead of bluetooth for low latency which I find to be really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6rI5wdrUDxs?feature=oembed

In the interview with Will Park from nvidia, Will says it's "less than 100ms latency which is as good or better than wireless game controllers on consoles" which is totally acceptable to me. I may have to rethink not getting one now. I find the input latency on Playstation/wii/xbox to be very acceptable for gaming.

According to the video, Nvidia renamed the original Shield to Shield Portable, and call the new tablet Shield Tablet.  The two make up the Shield family.  Therefore, I don't think there will be a Shield 2 (or Shield Portable 2) anytime soon (or if they even make it).  They may make Shield Tablet 64bit but not Shield Portable 2.  Thinking about it, I'm not to unhappy that there won't be a Shield Portable 2, because my Shield Portable 1 will still get used and still has some value :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, this thing is AWESOME!

I don't even use tablets, and I want this thing :p

The greatest feature I've seen so far, is that stylus. A fine point stylus for capacitive screens, can this work for any device or just the Shield Tablet?

As far as the "family" issue goes, it seems like both devices are here to stay, and considering the portable was never released outside of the US or Canada, I would assume they will release an updated worldwide version somewhere down the line. I would also expect them to update both of these items every few years, just like standard tech gets on a regular basis. I don't see why so many think the tablet is the end of the portable? I'm sure the tablet will sale better, but if they ever make some good upgrades to the portable, it could do way better in the future.

And to answer the question asked earlier, yes the Shield controller looks crappy, but it does feel rather good in the hands. No real issues there. The portable is on the heavy side, so that can be an issue for some, but as far as the comfort level goes, it's very good. I imagine the new tablet controller feels about the same, and should weigh more less, so it should be better overall(except the looks of course) :lol:

Chris

The greatest feature I've seen so far, is that stylus. A fine point stylus for capacitive screens, can this work for any device or just the Shield Tablet?
I tried to get a good view of this by skipping around in the video.  I was trying to see how fine point it is.  Do they have a really good shot of it?  I know we are getting resistive for Pyra, but if we can get the same accuracy with capacitive it might be something to consider.  I don't know what other down sides there are.

the "family" issue
I love it.

I don't see why so many think the tablet is the end of the portable?
Same here.

And to answer the question asked earlier, yes the Shield controller looks crappy, but it does feel rather good in the hands. No real issues there. The portable is on the heavy side, so that can be an issue for some, but as far as the comfort level goes, it's very good. I imagine the new tablet controller feels about the same, and should weigh more less, so it should be better overall(except the looks of course)
Thanks for clearing that up.  I am all for ugly things that do a good job of what they are intended for.  I am sure they thought it looked cool and different when it was being designed.

I do like how this new controller has a touchpad on it.   I didn't notice until I saw that video.  There also seems to be some capacitive buttons on it.

As for Shield Portable iterations.  The CEO is on record as saying they would launch a new one in conjunction with every new SOC release. He said that after the Shield 1 released.  Don't know if that's changed (with this tablet) , but I'm going to say they will launch a new one this year. A big part of the Shield portables existance is to showcase their latest SOCs and to push gaming on Android.  

I tried to get a good view of this by skipping around in the video.  I was trying to see how fine point it is.  Do they have a really good shot of it?  I know we are getting resistive for Pyra, but if we can get the same accuracy with capacitive it might be something to consider.  I don't know what other down sides there are.

Id say its using the same stylus and tech (albeit revised) as the Tegra Note 7,  if you search for that, you will see the stylus it uses.  Kind of hard to explain, but it does have a pointyish tip and is very accurate. You can rotate it in your hand while drawing to get a wider brush stroke.  You'll see what I mean you look it up.  Here's one image of it:

large-advent-vega-tegra-note-7-2.png

Id say its using the same stylus and tech (albeit revised) as the Tegra Note 7,  if you search for that, you will see the stylus it uses.  Kind of hard to explain, but it does have a pointyish tip and is very accurate. You can rotate it in your hand while drawing to get a wider brush stroke.  You'll see what I mean you look it up.  Here's one image of it:

large-advent-vega-tegra-note-7-2.png
I briefly looked up the DirectStylus, and it does seem this sort of stylus would be the best choice for them since they may have spent a lot of time and money developing and marketing it.  The one for the shield tablet is the DirectStylus 2.  It would be nice to get a capacitive screen and something like that if it would work for our purposes on the P3.  I don't personally have much use for a capacitive screen at the moment.  I have some Android software I mess around with that uses more than 2 points.  It also might help for web browsing and such.

I just checked the price on this stylus and it isn't bad at all. I think the "Pro" version is more fine tipped than the one in your picture.

I'm really digging on this tablet. It is very well thought out, and is really a steal at it's current price.

I wonder if I can flip this for some quick cash like I did for the first Shield? Mmmmmm, I wonder ;)

Chris

I'd be utterly surprised if Nvidia doesn't release a Shield Portable 2 with a slimmer profile and 1080p display after stock is depleted and the Shield Tablet hits retail shelves.

BTW, did they ever "fix" the notorious Android audio lag issues with emulators on the Shield?

Well, there is still that rumor that was reported in the beginning of July that the Shield 2 would launch in August with 4GB ram.

Frankly I'd like to see the 64 bit K1 in it, but whatever. Not too fussed , as long as it comes out.

Over at GBATEMP, one of the users says his step dad works at Nvidia, and they are for sure working on the Shield 2(portable). He says the only news his dad as told him so far, is that the new model won't have the rubber grips, to save on cost.

Now, I don't know how much the rubber cost was, but I can't imagine it was that much where it would need to be removed to save on cost, but who knows? Now is this information true? I have no idea, as this info doesn't really say much, but it's useless enough to be believable I guess. Time will tell.

Chris

I wonder if Nvidia will launch an ATV console . It's the only thing missing in the Shield Family now.

I know they have said they have a K1 reference ATV console for OEMS to use . I wonder if they will launch one under their own brand. Might be interesting with other manufacturers like Razer and Asus planning on ATV consoles using Tegra SOCs. They may not for that reason, but you just get that feeling.

Although this is hardly what you'd call evidence for an upcoming Shield Portable 2, I find it interesting the audio controls for the Tablet Controller accessory have been moved to the logo. After looking at photos of the original Shield, that placement would be best if say there was a 5" screen lid that was closed over the top of it and you wanted to adjust the volume without opening it up.

But if it's closed it...wouldn't it be sleeping?
That's a good point but I guess it depends on the settings. How does one use the Pandora as a music or movie player when the lid is closed? A combo of shoulder buttons for playback and next/previous tracks and volume toggling. Nvidia might pull a rabbit out of it's hat and put a touchpad on the underside for external monitor use while the lid's closed. Borrow from the Vita. :)

You can control the volume on a phone while its screen is off, even while its sleeping. I guess it wakes it up then puts it back to sleep technically, but phones do the same thing.

Come on brother.. Its the same OS, same general sleeping functions minus the cellular modem hardware is my point. In that regard they are basically identical and the shield runs a mostly AOSP. It would behave exactly like a smartphone in how the volume buttons work while sleeping.

Back