nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

Ah ok, cool. Yeah, I think it can only run 99% full-speed on PC's, atm.
So most people actually get a new PC every two years?
YES, any real PC gamer updates on average every 2 years(if not sooner). I built a monster PC years ago, but I found that wasn't really my thing, as I just wasn't up to the task of upgrading so often. That's why I personally stick to handhelds and consoles, as they have a longer life-cycle(plus I'm a cheap bastard) :p

You can look at the first year games, and see a HUGE difference in what is released at the end of that gens cycle. Games and development are highly optimized to get the most out of the current gen systems & handhelds.

Sadly, PC, Android, ios, etc., work in the opposite, as they just beef up processing across the board and let the system do the work. There is no problem with this, as many different manufactures make many different components. Every persons PC and Android phone is made by someone else, and they all have different processing speeds and graphic capabilities. Optimization is rarely done if ever on the software side for these exact reasons.

So, for anyone who games with their PC mostly, upgrading every 2 years is about average. Some do it less frequent, but others do it even sooner. Same goes for smart phones. 2 years used to be the average there, as most contracts lasted 2 years, but now that industry has pretty much moved to an annual upgrade policy for the most part. I have some friends who use there phones until they break(myself included), but I have other friends who get the newest phones every 6-12 months.

It's all just a different strokes for different folks mentality. But if you look around, there are tons of people who can run Dolphin and many other high end emulators at full speed. It's not that rare really.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you and those people do with all the old phones and PCs?

But if you look around, there are tons of people who can run Dolphin and many other high end emulators at full speed. It's not that rare really.
I look around and don't know a single one.

Neither of my former clubs (fencing, choir) had a person with a system fast enough, none of my colleauges, nobody from my monthly music session and none of my other RL contacts either.

I think you are only looking in AAA-gamers circles but those are a minority.

What do you and those people do with all the old phones and PCs?

But if you look around, there are tons of people who can run Dolphin and many other high end emulators at full speed. It's not that rare really.
I look around and don't know a single one.

Neither of my former clubs (fencing, choir) had a person with a system fast enough, none of my colleauges, nobody from my monthly music session and none of my other RL contacts either.

I think you are only looking in AAA-gamers circles but those are a minority.
For me personally, I sale my old phones. Most of my friends either trade them in, or sale them to help pay for the newest phone. I only upgrade my business PC every once in awhile, so I'll recycle components, or just use it around the house for the kids schooling and what not.

I never said PC gamers who can run Dolphin are common, I just said it's not as rare as you would think. PC gamers are a minority by nature, as it cost BIG funds to stay current and run the latest and greatest. But for anyone who games on the PC, that is the STANDARD. The only reason to play games on the PC, is to run them at their highest settings, otherwise console get the job done for most.

That's why multiplat games sale the least on PC and the consoles sale the most, and why less and less big name games are even going to PC(its just a very small audience). All you have to do is look around on NeoGAF or other gamer forums to see tons of people who can run these emulators full speed. I wasn't saying any and everyone can run such things, but it's not hard to find guys who can. I'm sure SONY isn't the only one around here who can run Dolphin fullspeed.

Chris

For me personally, I sale my old phones. Most of my friends either trade them in, or sale them to help pay for the newest phone. I only upgrade my business PC every once in awhile, so I'll recycle components, or just use it around the house for the kids schooling and what not.
But what about all the old components? These should be quite a lot.

PC gamers are a minority by nature, as it cost BIG funds to stay current and run the latest and greatest. But for anyone who games on the PC, that is the STANDARD. The only reason to play games on the PC, is to run them at their highest settings, otherwise console get the job done for most.
I don't think so. People tend to game on PCs for different reasons and backwarts compatibility and modding are a very big part of it as well as indie gaming, all this is possible on the average work-pc and doesn't need expensive blow driers that constantly need to be upgraded and I think that the AAA-PC-Gaming group is an even smaller minority.

I don't think AAA PC gamers are minority.  Otherwise companies such as Alienware and the likes that specialize in gaming PC wouldn't have existed.  Also, the big part of the livelhood of companies like NVidia's and ATI are based upon making graphic cards for PCs and most of these cards used for gaming.

But what about all the old components? These should be quite a lot.

PC gamers are a minority by nature, as it cost BIG funds to stay current and run the latest and greatest. But for anyone who games on the PC, that is the STANDARD. The only reason to play games on the PC, is to run them at their highest settings, otherwise console get the job done for most.
I don't think so. People tend to game on PCs for different reasons and backwarts compatibility and modding are a very big part of it as well as indie gaming, all this is possible on the average work-pc and doesn't need expensive blow driers that constantly need to be upgraded and I think that the AAA-PC-Gaming group is an even smaller minority.
Normally when I upgrade my PC, it's my business computer and most of the components weren't super high end to begin with, so I may transfer a hard-drive or keyboard to the new one, but most of the stuff is outdated anyways, so it's not a big deal to trash or use elsewhere in the house.

I agree there are many who PC game for different reasons, but I wasn't really referring to that basic audience, as they won't be running Dolphin anyways. PC gaming doesn't have to be about the latest and greatest games. With indie titles and steam, there are tons of great games to be had on all levels of PC's, and at better pricing than most console counterparts. Hell, I can run thousands of great games through emulation on my 5 year old gaming PC, and probably on my business PC as well. So there is always different levels of gaming.

I don't think AAA PC gamers are minority.  Otherwise companies such as Alienware and the likes that specialize in gaming PC wouldn't have existed.  Also, the big part of the livelhood of companies like NVidia's and ATI are based upon making graphic cards for PCs and most of these cards used for gaming.
I agree. Although I do feel this audience is a "minority", at least in regards to consoles, but not in regards to other PC gamers. Companies like Nvidia and Alienware are making a killing due to the amount of funds this group is willing to spend on the latest and greatest. They just don't offer high end components, but something for every level really. When a consumer is buying Nvidia's best graphics card, another more middle of the road user is buying an entry level one. 

For the most part, Shield is possible due to this group of gaming. Shield isn't for everybody, but a company like Nvidia can see the need for dedicated gaming portables and tablets. This segment can only grow as others see the need for such devices. Nvidia really has made a great device for "gaming", as it can do tons of things I didn't even know I wanted or needed.

Chris

I agree. Although I do feel this audience is a "minority", at least in regards to consoles, but not in regards to other PC gamers. Companies like Nvidia and Alienware are making a killing due to the amount of funds this group is willing to spend on the latest and greatest. They just don't offer high end components, but something for every level really. When a consumer is buying Nvidia's best graphics card, another more middle of the road user is buying an entry level one. 

For the most part, Shield is possible due to this group of gaming. Shield isn't for everybody, but a company like Nvidia can see the need for dedicated gaming portables and tablets. This segment can only grow as others see the need for such devices. Nvidia really has made a great device for "gaming", as it can do tons of things I didn't even know I wanted or needed.

Chris
Which leaves the question why they haven't made it available in Europe when high end gamers create such a demand. It still puzzles me.

i dont think high end pc gamers use alienware. that seems like a contridiction

Chris
Which leaves the question why they haven't made it available in Europe when high end gamers create such a demand. It still puzzles me.
Well the tablets coming to EU in a few weeks right? I'm sure if and when the portable gets a revision, Nvidia is sure to roll it out there as well. Originally the Shield seemed like an experiment of sorts, so I understood at the time why they didn't roll it out worldwide. I actually sold several units to EU, so importing was and is an option.

Now them seem to understand the market more, and what is required to actually have the proper support system in place for not only graphics cards, but any other problems that might come up from a dedicated console/tablet.

I'd say it depends on whether they have more money than sense. :)
Your exactly right :D

Chris

You are making jokes here, but the reality here is if everyone has the ability to built their own gaming PCs then those companies wouldn't have existed for so long.

i dont think high end pc gamers use alienware. that seems like a contridiction
Whatever it is.  My point here is AAA PC gamers spend tons of money on getting powerful PC for gaming.  Again, not all AAA PC gamers have the knowledge or ability to buit their own PCs, and so they are willing to pay these companies big moneys to built these PCs.

I know far less people with alienware desktops than I do with laptops. Hell even I own a XPS which is basically an alienware without all the flashy case mods, dell owns both lines. I build all my desktops I just don't stay on the bleeding edge except for once every 5 years or so. Laptops are far harder to build yourself ;)

You are making jokes here, but the reality here is if everyone has the ability to built their own gaming PCs then those companies wouldn't have existed for so long.
You're reading too much into things, my statement was purely about what I think of people that buy Alienware PCs. I couldn't care less whether people build or buy their PC. Also I wasn't joking, if you buy an Alienware PC then you have more money than sense.

WOW running pretty good, but that is the simplest track in DD and there is no other racers, so I really can't say it's perfect, but good so far.

Chris

Wow is right. Sound was a little choppy but otherwise fully playable.  :)

You're reading too much into things, my statement was purely about what I think of people that buy Alienware PCs. I couldn't care less whether people build or buy their PC. Also I wasn't joking, if you buy an Alienware PC then you have more money than sense.
Well, I'm one of these guys (or will be).

Why?

I don't want a desktop PC but need a laptop.

Also I my former Laptop has a 18'' screen. Don't want to downgrade to 17''.

Now show me a Laptop that's 18'' contains 2 GPUs (SLI) and 2 HDD slots.

I was looking for other manufacturers but if I take a 17'' model it'll also be at about 3000€.

As far as I've seen the Alienware is not more expensive than the others.

And my old Laptop is from 2007/2008.

I think spending money once every 5-10 years for high end hardware is OK.

And everyone stop posting the Dolphin videos.

I fear it might not run that nice on the little OMAP 5.

Back