Nub As Mouse.

I guess you could if you happen to have a spare fretboard lying around. :p

guitar-hero-on-tour-screenshot.jpg

DroneB Dev said:
OMG, im the only one here around that is right handed?

Mouse should be implemented on the Right Nub instead of the left one.

so it would be more natural for playing FPS.

left one for movement right one for aiming.

(OK just add an GUI to choose wich one does what)
One should be the cursor, the other should scroll around (like on the PS3).

Also, if this was the case, when we play ported games like Baldurs Gate, would they work by default?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, all my suggestions are to make the system work by default like that so most of the games get properly ready to go.

if you place moving on the left nub, you can just map it up to work as dir keys, and the another one acting as a mouse will just go perfect
for most of the games either you need to navigate (left) and to point (right).

the Scrolling well i dont get it at all, in games you dont usually scroll, but into normal OS use like navigating, i would recomend left one for Right handed people because you dont have to scroll that much and since its a matter of precision one should aim with the mastered hand.

anyway, its never possible to keep everyone happy so i hope a configuration GUI gets done.

DroneB Dev said:
well, all my suggestions are to make the system work by default like that so most of the games get properly ready to go.

if you place moving on the left nub, you can just map it up to work as dir keys, and the another one acting as a mouse will just go perfect

the Scrolling well i dont get it at all, in games you dont usually scroll, but into normal OS use like navigating, i would recomend left one for Right handed people because you dont have to scroll that much and since its a matter of precision one should aim with the mastered hand.

anyway, its never possible to keep everyone happy so i hope a configuration GUI gets done.

This is interesting. I'm right handed as well, and I always pictured me using the left nub as a mouse and the right as a scrollwheel. I think it's probably because I'll hold the Pandora with my left hand, so I'll always have the mouse available. When I grab the stylus with my right hand, for example.

I think the Opera browser for the DS may have had something to do with it. The D-pad, which is on the left as usual, was used for both scrolling and mouse use (pointing links), while the stylus was used for... Other things. On-screen keyboard typing, menus and also scrolling and mousing around.

Huh. Come to think of it, I DID use the left D-Pad as a scrolling tool and the stylus in my right hand as a mouse. Odd. I seem to be contradicting myself.

But I suppose that whoever supplies us with nubs mouses will make it easy to switch handedness.

may88 said:
notaz said:
B-ZaR said:
Yes it is. It's on the to-do list, but hasn't been implemented yet.
Actually it *is* implemented but needs some tweaking.
Then tweak! :)
It's extremely uncomfortable to test this with a bare board lying on the table.

JayFoxRox said:
Alec  said:
I wonder, are the nubs recognized as joysticks (as in /dev/input/jsX)?

No, they are normal events, called "vsense66" and v"sense67". I'm not sure if this has changed yet, but I doubt it.
Actually they are exported as /dev/input/js1 and /dev/input/js2 too (/dev/input/js0 exports game buttons).

notaz said:
may88 said:
notaz said:
B-ZaR said:
Yes it is. It's on the to-do list, but hasn't been implemented yet.
Actually it *is* implemented but needs some tweaking.
Then tweak! :)
It's extremely uncomfortable to test this with a bare board lying on the table.

JayFoxRox said:
Alec  said:
I wonder, are the nubs recognized as joysticks (as in /dev/input/jsX)?

No, they are normal events, called "vsense66" and v"sense67". I'm not sure if this has changed yet, but I doubt it.
Actually they are exported as /dev/input/js1 and /dev/input/js2 too (/dev/input/js0 exports game buttons).

That's good news because I'm under the impression that it shouldn't be too hard :)

BaDToaD said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
this is the standard way of moving a cursor with an analog stick

+1 for this method. It's what i've used on laptops.

I concur. I have a few devices with sticks/nubs, all of them use this method.

Vlynndar said:
DroneB Dev said:

This is interesting. I'm right handed as well, and I always pictured me using the left nub as a mouse and the right as a scrollwheel. I think it's probably because I'll hold the Pandora with my left hand, so I'll always have the mouse available. When I grab the stylus with my right hand, for example.

I think the Opera browser for the DS may have had something to do with it. The D-pad, which is on the left as usual, was used for both scrolling and mouse use (pointing links), while the stylus was used for... Other things. On-screen keyboard typing, menus and also scrolling and mousing around.

Huh. Come to think of it, I DID use the left D-Pad as a scrolling tool and the stylus in my right hand as a mouse. Odd. I seem to be contradicting myself.

But I suppose that whoever supplies us with nubs mouses will make it easy to switch handedness.

XD you got 1 more point to make right nub as cursor for right handed people
it would be ackward to have cursor and stylus at the same time.
now im thinking on the Mouse Click ones.

i bet theres where the shoulder buttons and AB btns get into the game.

zevdawg said:
BaDToaD said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
Thats a dumb quote, it doesn't explain anything, but I know what it's saying and I agree.

second exodous said:
zevdawg said:
BaDToaD said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
Thats a dumb quote, it doesn't explain anything, but I know what it's saying and I agree.

That's quite redundant... I wasn't going to edit an original post as to keep it "(sic)", cause if I were to edit it, you'd be nailing me for, "that's not what he said" (one of those damned if you do/don't things). fml.

GizmoTheGreen said:
Why not just move the mouse in the same direction as the nub, then the farther you push the nub the faster the cursor moves.

letting go of the nub does noething, or slows it down if you only move it a bit more to the center but not dead center.

grasshoppir said:
comike, yeah but you can't.. and shouldn't in linux.

Well, speaking for myself, I'd rather like such a thing. I don't want to be tied to the inefficiencies of a clunky GUI forever, however, the simple fact is I'm just not there yet; having an intuitive, if not all that efficient, means of changing the keys is preferable right now versus diving into help forums and Google searches every time I want to adjust a setting via the console. I still need the developers to hold my hand, sad to say.

I guess I can't expect the change to be easy after growing up with Windows from the Win95 days; I've been using Ubuntu for a year, and am only just moving on to more text-heavy distros like Arch... :rolleyes:

That interface is for mapping keypresses, modifying it to support joysticks might require a good amount of clunky pandora-only hacking.

Not to say that a *separate* Pandora-specific nub-binding thing couldn't be made.

skyeyemachine said:
grasshoppir said:
comike, yeah but you can't.. and shouldn't in linux.

Well, speaking for myself, I'd rather like such a thing. I don't want to be tied to the inefficiencies of a clunky GUI forever, however, the simple fact is I'm just not there yet; having an intuitive, if not all that efficient, means of changing the keys is preferable right now versus diving into help forums and Google searches every time I want to adjust a setting via the console. I still need the developers to hold my hand, sad to say.

I guess I can't expect the change to be easy after growing up with Windows from the Win95 days; I've been using Ubuntu for a year, and am only just moving on to more text-heavy distros like Arch... :rolleyes:
that key binding dialog is so damn crappy in xfce!

Back