Better nub-mouse accuracy - Make it slower!

relliker

Hi all,

This is just a heads-up for anyone who may be frustrated with the nub-as-mouse pointing accuracy, especially if you have an auto-hide task bar.

For those who find the default nub-mouse speed to be too fast for accurate placement: Slowing down the nub-mouse-movement speed to around 120 instead of the default 150 in the nub configuration screen makes for far greater pinpointing accuracy.

The setting can be changed from Settings --> Pandora nub configurator. Remember to "write" the nub settings after changing them.

No other Pandora, just my one one-year old baby. I just thought to post this for the benefit of people struggling mostly in an auto-hide task bar in xfce. It might not be the first thing to come to mind when you're cursing at why you can't place the cursor where you want!

Yeah, I am usually setting it at 120 - 125 and wanted to set that as default speed with the next firmware update as well.

Looks like I'm not the only one using this speed :D

I use the Nubs for Mouse controlls so I use them quite often. My Nubs change their behaviour every 5 minutes. This auto calibrating stuff was really a bad choice. Sometimes one direction is faster than another, then the acceleration is slow, then much faster, sometimes one direction doesn't work at all. And nub resetting in the config doesn't help in that case, not even a Pandora restart. I have to shutdown the Pandora completely so the nub works again in every direction the next time. Rare case but it happens from time to time. And somehow the acceleration is really twisted. Mouse arrow starts insane fast and then become slower, correct should it be like slow start and then getting faster. Pandora Nubs really need a serious Overhaul in the Future, imho.

maybe defective nubs? I never had any issue using them as a mouse except for the speed thingy mentioned in this thread and the speed change to slow them down makes them much better.

maybe defective nubs? I never had any issue using them as a mouse except for the speed thingy mentioned in this thread and the speed change to slow them down makes them much better.

I also don't have any issues with mine nor with most units I'm testing. They seem to work pretty much spot on for me.

I have what may be a better idea...

The nub is an analog device. In controlling things, though, the difference between 0, 1/4 total and 1/2 total movement within the nub range can be gigantic on screen.

For those who don't like math:

As it is now: Move it 1/4 of the way, you get 1/4 of the signal. 1/2 for 1/2 and 3/4 for 3/4. Full on for full on.

As I propose: Move it 1/4 of the way, you get 1/12 of the signal. 1/2 for 1/4 and 3/4 for 1/2. 7/8 for 3/4 and full on for full on.

For those who like math:

Re-map that on it's way to the OS so that the return value XReturn% = XInput%^2.

You will likely have to normalize to a 0-1 scale.

The basic idea is to make the mouse very controllable and sensitive in it's near-0 position, then accelerate to maximum movement toward it's outer edge.

For you FPS gamers - this means fine sniper control in the center of the nub and full sweep range at the outer edge.

This type of system provides for very detailed/fine adjustments by using the center range of the analog device while still keeping it's maximum movement at the outer rim.

Grench

Last edited by a moderator:
They work. But they never work in the same way. ;) They have different behaviour every day. I notice it because I use them alot. It is not that big problem on the Desktop but wehn the nubs suddenly change their behaviour ingame, for example in Super Geometry Dust (one Direction reacts pretty slow) then it becomes a problem.

The basic idea is to make the mouse very controllable and sensitive in it's near-0 position, then accelerate to maximum movement toward it's outer edge.
Thats exactly how analog Nubs should work in general. But it feels like the Pandora Nubs don NOT work at all like that. No clue why. Maybe some nub firmware Update can fix this.

Thats exactly how analog Nubs should work in general. But it feels like the Pandora Nubs don NOT work at all like that. No clue why. Maybe some nub firmware Update can fix this.

From what I can tell, the nubs on the Pandora are highly linear in response. This would be fine in games that expect a flight stick or other linear analog result. For use as a mouse control though, I think an exponential result (or interpolation for use in the OS desktop) might be better.

It's a pretty fine detail point though. Nothing is broken as the system sits. It just isn't what a few people would call 'perfect' so I doubt it is going to see any light. Most people won't ever realize that it could potentially be better.

Back