Nothing to show, but a lot happened.

Loved all those old cartoons. Herculoids, Jonny Quest, Battle of the Planets, Josie and the Pussycats(in space), and Flash Gordon. Later on, Jem, Smurfs, Transformers, Spiral Zone, and many others. I still watch some of them. :)

Anybody have any rare ones they know of that slipped under the radar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those cartoons have aged really well. Transformers and Thundercats are still pretty good, even as an adult I still enjoy them. Maybe not as much as I did when I was a kid, but I still recognized them as entertaining.

Sometimes they do not age so well. I started watching Voltron and my childhood came crashing down around me, like I couldn't understand why even my 6 year old brain would enjoy it. It was terrible. If you have fond memories of the original Voltron cartoon from the 80s do not try to relive the nostalgia! It will only hurt you.

Some of those cartoons have aged really well. Transformers and Thundercats are still pretty good, even as an adult I still enjoy them. Maybe not as much as I did when I was a kid, but I still recognized them as entertaining.

Sometimes they do not age so well. I started watching Voltron and my childhood came crashing down around me, like I couldn't understand why even my 6 year old brain would enjoy it. It was terrible. If you have fond memories of the original Voltron cartoon from the 80s do not try to relive the nostalgia! It will only hurt you.
Wow, that's so true about Voltron. Had the same experience when nostalgia hit me. I liked both the Lion Force and Space Force shows when I was younger but I tried to enjoy them later on but couldn't stay interested. The episodes, especially the early ones in both series, were like they were written for toddlers.

G1 Transformers and Thundercats are still favorites of mine. Robotech is as soap opera as ever but also great.

Tried to watch Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and had the same "Voltron" effect.

Bananaman, Dangermouse, Count Duckula, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, Around the world with Willy Fog, The Mysterious Cities of Gold. I could go on, and probably will. ;)

Bananaman, Dangermouse, Count Duckula, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, Around the world with Willy Fog, The Mysterious Cities of Gold. I could go on, and probably will. ;)
Please do. :D

What about Top Cat, Grape Ape, Speed Buggy, and Rikki Tikki Tavi?

^

The only one I remember watching out of those is Top Cat, other ones I remember watching are The Pink Panther, Jimbo and the Jet-Set, Inspector Gadget, The Raccoons, Family Ness, Henry's Cat and Raggy Dolls.

What time period are you interested in.  I still watch cartoons, both new and old.

Thundercats was and is awesome.  The reboot is just ok.

The "Voltron Effect" is true of so much stuff.  A couple minutes ago I finished looking at a movie I remembered from 20 years ago.  I thought it was a TV show (it was a pilot for a series that never got picked up), and remember it being amazing.  I knew special effects and such were going to be cheesy (I watched an episode of The X-Files earlier and found it amusing that some worms were of such low quality, or Sliders...just everything, but I still love it).  What I wasn't prepared for was how I had forgotten the plot and most of the important stuff, and only remembered a few little things and my fond memories were based on that and some of the back story.  The movie itself sucked, so I skipped around in it watching maybe 5 minutes.  I feel similar watching early episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.  I love it, but there is so much wrong with the early stuff.  How does Data go from being very human and childlike, to being inhuman then very human and childlike in his development.  Oh, and then even more childlike when he and B-4 become one.  I understand the actors and writers were trying to feel out the characters, but damn.

Back on topic of this derailment, I loved The Real Ghostbusters and want to go back to it so I can refresh my memory before moving on to Extreme Ghostbusters.  Should I not do that?

We need a cartoon thread.

^

The only one I remember watching out of those is Top Cat, other ones I remember watching are The Pink Panther, Jimbo and the Jet-Set, Inspector Gadget, The Raccoons, Family Ness, Henry's Cat and Raggy Dolls.
Inspector Gadget is one I worry would not stand up so well to time.  It was kinda goofy back then.  I can only imagine what I would think of it now.  I wish I had the book Penny had.

What time period are you interested in.  I still watch cartoons, both new and old.

Thundercats was and is awesome.  The reboot is just ok.

The "Voltron Effect" is true of so much stuff.  A couple minutes ago I finished looking at a movie I remembered from 20 years ago.  I thought it was a TV show (it was a pilot for a series that never got picked up), and remember it being amazing.  I knew special effects and such were going to be cheesy (I watched an episode of The X-Files earlier and found it amusing that some worms were of such low quality, or Sliders...just everything, but I still love it).  What I wasn't prepared for was how I had forgotten the plot and most of the important stuff, and only remembered a few little things and my fond memories were based on that and some of the back story.  The movie itself sucked, so I skipped around in it watching maybe 5 minutes.  I feel similar watching early episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.  I love it, but there is so much wrong with the early stuff.  How does Data go from being very human and childlike, to being inhuman then very human and childlike in his development.  Oh, and then even more childlike when he and B-4 become one.  I understand the actors and writers were trying to feel out the characters, but damn.

Back on topic of this derailment, I loved The Real Ghostbusters and want to go back to it so I can refresh my memory before moving on to Extreme Ghostbusters.  Should I not do that?

We need a cartoon thread.
I guess you could say the time period I'm interested for obscure ones is between 60's to early 90's. What you said about the 80's Thundercats is true, awesome. I watched the entire reboot series and some of the episodes were pretty good too. The Trial episodes were poor, plodding storytelling but Song of the Petalars, Legacy, and The Drifter and the Duelist were standouts. If you get a chance, the He-man reboot and Tron Uprising were decent too.

Real Ghostbusters was good. Haven't seen it in decades though.

I think rygD was referring to the posts themselves being moved to the new thread to control off-topic clutter. 

-Glyph Reader
I think Strigoi was letting everyone know that the thread FZERO linked should be merged with the thread from last year, so just post in the older thread.

Edit:  Also, I didn't notice we revived the older thread before making a somewhat long post in the newer thread.

Back