Nothing to show, but a lot happened.

This might be a little... out of the box, but how about rather than cramming as much as possible onto the Pyra for full time use, maybe look into the addition of extra shoulder buttons on some kind of removable case like the 3DS circle pad pro. Realistically, four shoulder buttons might not be necessary for full time use of the console and just for certain games. Using the extra buttons to connect via bluetooth or USB could be a better solution as you could adequately increase the real-estate for the finger locations and potentially provide enough space for something more responsive than a push button. This way you could preserve form factor and still provide a good additional experience for those who wanted/needed it.
_wb_ and I (and others) want to use the shoulder buttons as modifyer keys whenever needed.
Exactly. The lack of shoulder buttons for ALT and Fn/Meta is probably the biggest shortcoming of the Pandora keyboard.
Especially Fn.

With Fn on the shoulder button you can press any blue key easily (also the ones on the right side of the Keyboard).

How about moving the two new shoulder buttons to the BOTTOM of the case, a bit to the center so they can be pressed with the middle or ring fingers?
Problem with them being pressed if/when you put the pyra down on a table?

Especially Fn.

With Fn on the shoulder button you can press any blue key easily (also the ones on the right side of the Keyboard).
The function key is some kind of a dead key. It behaves different from the modifiers like shift or ctrl. I doubt the shoulder button will be recognized after binding it as Fn.

This++

The pandora's keyboard is utterly useless to me due to how annoying it is for me to input special characters like åäö.
No problem, I have bound the umlauts to the currency signs.... Then I found out that shift+enter = compose and I don't need this binding anymore. xD

The function key is some kind of a dead key. It behaves different from the modifiers like shift or ctrl. I doubt the shoulder button will be recognized after binding it as Fn.
I'm trying to find the quote to be sure, someone else might be able to confirm, but I seem to recall that the Fn is not going to exist anymore. Instead the brightness, wifi, bluetooth will all get dedicated buttons, and AltGr and meta keys will be added.Don't quote that though, I might have completely misunderstood.

Assuming I have misunderstood, you'd be entirely correct: Fn is effectively a hardware modifier, if you map it to a shoulder button then it cannot be used by itself in games, it can only ever be used in conjunction with other keys.

This++

The pandora's keyboard is utterly useless to me due to how annoying it is for me to input special characters like åäö.
The entire layout of the Pandora keyboard is bad, I still search for certain keys, nothing is where it should be. And this after insane long "Pandora Keyboard layout" threads, I'm really worried about the Pyra keyboard layout right now. Sometimes crowdsourcing doesn't work if the crowd is located over the entire planet. One single keyboard layout just can't fulfill these needs. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
This++

The entire layout of the Pandora keyboard is bad, I stil lseatch for certain keys, nothing is where it should be. And this after insane long "Pandora Keyboard layout" threads, I'm really worried about the Pyra keyboard layout right now. Sometimes crowdsourcing doesn't work if the crowd is located over the entire planet. One single keyboard layout just can't fulfill these needs. :/
Exactly why plastic key caps would be awesome. Especially if region specific layouts could be done in production without becoming a burden.

No, the windows key is Super. Meta is on the PC-side assigned to who knows what, usually Alt or Super. It's never a character modifier, some here doesn't seem to care though.

How about moving the two new shoulder buttons to the BOTTOM of the case, a bit to the center so they can be pressed with the middle or ring fingers?
That's easy to avoid, just do it the same way as on the ICP, with the buttons in a recessed area.

- Neelix

That's easy to avoid, just do it the same way as on the ICP, with the buttons in a recessed area.

- Neelix
Won't the battery occupy most of the bottom part of the case on Pyra (just like on Pandora)?

The lack of shoulder buttons for ALT and Fn/Meta is probably the biggest shortcoming of the Pandora keyboard.
That and it made it impossible to shift-select multiple files, I had to ctrl-select instead, which takes a lot longer.

The lack of shoulder buttons for ALT and Fn/Meta is probably the biggest shortcoming of the Pandora keyboard.
That and it made it impossible to shift-select multiple files, I had to ctrl-select instead, which takes a lot longer.
Well copying via the command line would of made all this much easier.

A simple test to demonstrate how much of Pandora's shoulder button is really needed to press comfortably, turns out not much:

8a7VK0Rl.jpg

Even with the flat plastic (a ruler on this case) covering most of the shoulder button I still found it quite comfortable to press at the corner.

On Pyra the one set of shoulder buttons could be shrunk to the corner as demonstrated above and still remain comfortable, while the other set could take up the gained free space.
Like the GameBoy Advance SP? That had about the same width and it was perfectly usable.

Well copying via the command line would of made all this much easier.
That's what I do now, but shift-select is faster.

A good idea would be to add different textures to the L2 & R2 buttons, If pososible, you could label them using braille letters. You could also label some of the ports in the same way. That would be nice for those who can't see and it would make it look a little more interesting.

braillepic.gif

...Teenage Engineering did something similar with their "OP-1 Synthsizer "

wpid-OP-1-braille.jpg

http://www.techtrend24.com/teenage-engineering-op-1/

Back