.next alpha image

aTc

Very Active Member
I sort of managed to get things to a state where the basics of the os and the pnd system work.

Image available here :

http://next.openpandora.org/v2012.12/images/openpandora/Angstrom-OP-XFCE-NetworkManager-image-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-openpandora.rootfs.tar.xz

Extract to an ext2 formatted sd card.

I don't rebuild the image every time i fix a package, so it's a good idea to do an "opkg update; opkg upgrade" after the first boot.

I haven't gone through all the options in the first run wizard yet, so it probably only works if you select auto login, xfce desktop, and skip the touchscreen calibration.

First boot takes quite a while on ext2 (10+ minutes)

Stuff that doesn't work:

NetworkManager (run sudo nm-connection-editor and set up the wireless connection manually there, it should work fine after that)

GLES (the sgx demos are installed in /usr/bin/SGX/demos in case anyone wants to run some tests)

The rest is mostly relatively minor problems related to libs not beeing installed, or pnds expecting older versions.

Missing libs can usually be installed with opkg , although i haven't built all of them yet.

Programs needing older versions can usually be tricked by symlinking the new lib to an older filename.

So what i want you people to do now is to install the image, run pnds, and report which ones work, which ones can be made to work after some messing about, and which ones completely fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only difference is the compression method, the other two are just symlink to the same file, just with a shorter filename.

The rest of the files in there are various bootloader and kernel bits, none of which are needed to run the image from sd.

It should be compatible with the v2012.12/yocto1.3/danny version of angstrom, all the pandora specific modifications should be in -openpandora versions of the packages.

opkg isn't set up to use the angstrom repos though, everything points to the pandora servers.

Still a long way to go though, but it's now mostly small stuff that doesn't require in depth knowledge of oe.

Unfortunately it's quite a lot of small stuff :)

And you always run into things that at first look like they're quite easy to fix, but end up taking forever.

gksu is a nice example, no recipe exists for that in this version of oe (since zaxxon, OE has basically thrown out all the old stuff and started from scratch), and I can't really get it to build properly.

Luckily there are only a few pnds that use it, so there's probably a way around it.

photo-3596.png

About PND, I've tested several emulators.

I've encountered two problems : all /dev/inputs/* need to be rw for all users, and modules snd_seq and snd_pcm_oss need to be loaded.

8blitter needs a symbolic link libjpeg.so.62.

With these modifications work : 8Blitter, apple][, dosbox, DraStic, GPFCE, Gngeo, Hatari, PCSX ReARMed, PicoDrive, Snes9x4P, UAE4ALL, gPSP

The /dev/input thing was easily fixed with a new udev rule.

An "opkg update; opkg upgrade" should install the new package and fix things.

I'll take a look at the rest later today.

We'll probably need some small compatibility package to handle a few of the most common lib problems.

From Slackware:

#Fixes for pnd compatibility
  ln -s /lib/libpthread.so /lib/libpthread-stubs.so.0
  ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5
  ln -s /usr/lib/libjpeg.so /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
  ln -s /usr/lib/libffi.so.6 /usr/lib/libffi.so.5
  ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
  ln -s /usr/lib/libgnutls.so /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.26

Ok, here my first impression:

Nubs don't work as mouse.

Touchscreen can't be calibrated (maybe I did not calibrate right in the first boot wizard).

Touchscreen calibration can't be opened in XFCE.

Pandora Button doesn't open Pandora Menu.

-> Makes navigation really hard.

The config file /etc/init.d/pandora-state isn't loaded by systemd so it prevents some settings to be saved (nubs, brightness, cpu)

In this file, it is said that it should be run at runlevels 3 and 5 but it isn't.

By creating symlinks to rc3.d and rc5.d, everything work as expected.

I don't know the most proper way to deal with that.

the proper way would be to rewrite everything using systemd scripts :)

I was sort of hoping someone else would do those boring bits for me :)

Back