New Pics Up On Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
carlgeorge said:
atomicthumbs said:
jb0yx said:
Cause my opinion, and the opinions of the hundreds of other engineers who post on here
I'm not an engineer, but I play one in a video game

Eh? How? What game do you get to play an Engineer? I'm a Chartered Mechanical Engineer and I can't imagine 'playing' an Engineer in a video game. What does it entail? Do you get to blow-shit-up like I do? Do you get to work for a boss who knows nothing but pretends to know everything? I'm intrigued.

engineer.jpg

With a description of what he does!

Attachments

• engineer.jpg
    engineer.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Why aren't you all amazed that they are going to meet the 22nd March deadline?
Actually, I'm amazed that we got any case related news before March 22nd.

Phawx said:
WTH will they do with the 1,000 that are "no good". Throw them away. Give them to customers that don't mind imperfect cases?

Well, that's what Craig was planning to do with 500 cases when they thought they WERE bad, wasn't it?

craigix said:
Why aren't you all amazed that they are going to meet the 22nd March deadline?

Apparently, I can't resist rising to the obvious bait with the obvious response: Because it's not the 22nd yet.

We've been told we're good for a Christmas deadline two years in a row. How seriosuly do you think we can possibly take any "Yay! We're on schedule!" announcements NOW? :blink:

OpenTheBox said:
From the Chinese newspaper lying underneath, they have to be from China.

Because paper doesn't survivie the shipping process? I agree about the location, I'm just not convinced that the deductive methodology is foolproof.

torpor said:
I also have a Chinese newspaper laying around somewhere, but this doesn't mean I'm in China. :)

Ah. Apparently paper CAN survivie the shipping process - I was right to be dubious.

Alerino said:

These are why the Pandora is no longer considered to be the most powerful gaming handheld in the world :(

They also explain how IBM could have described their first portable as, well, portable.

Phawx said:
mfk said:
The pictures are from China. We don't need to confirm anything about the cases. Everything is on track right now.

If you don't need to confirm anything about the cases, why only ship 1,000?

{cricket chirp} {cricket chirp} {cricket chirp} {cricket chirp}

Rathum said:
wolf.jpg

Disclaimer: Almost every comic on that site is NSFW.

This may be so, but that one amused me enough for a blatantly empty quote.

The case bits look quite nice, mostly.

i wonder whether giving people news is actually more giving people something to pick holes in :lol:

love the look of the finish on the battery back panel. if thats representative of the finish that will coat everything then i am super stoked as its gonna look very sexy. you can see on the unfinished pieces how you still see shapes etc, but that they will be covered by the sexy finish.

this is making me feel veeeery positive :D

WizardStan said:
zounder1 said:
I disagree completely. The first 1000 will be a production run that will establish what is an acceptable product in fit and finish. Once you have that benchmark you can tell the factory that any units not meeting the quality of the first batch will not be accepted and, more importantly, not paid for. Maybe there will be a few tweaks required after the first 1000. Then another batch of 1000 will likely be made. Repeat the process until you hit a final production quality - then that is used as the benchmark going forward.

One more thing. You say "bad cases will not be paid for" but what you probably don't know but would if you'd been following along from the start is that everything has already been paid for. OpenPandora has no power to negotiate here, other than with the promise of future business. If a tweak is needed, they still have to accept these 1000, go back to the tweak/check (which will add at least a couple of weeks delay, probably more) before the next 9000 are produced.

Actually, I am fully aware that things have been paid for thank you very much. I've been here for quite a while just reading and I rarely post since this forum is unfortunately full of a lot of negativity.

And I still stand by the "don't pay for" mantra - it can be still used. Assume the 1000 cases are good. If yes, then you tell the factory all future products must meet that quality level to be acceptable. If their next batch is crap, I would be quickly pointing out to them they are not being accepted and they can make them again. (The factory eats the cost of making the batch correctly.) I suspect the factory is smart enough to always hit the quality target going forward, but having the benchmark for acceptable is extremely important.

B-ZaR said:
and a shady car salesman type developer Craig

It's funny because I heard that craigix is actually in the car sales business.

zounder1 said:
And I still stand by the "don't pay for" mantra - it can be still used. Assume the 1000 cases are good. If yes, then you tell the factory all future products must meet that quality level to be acceptable. If their next batch is crap, I would be quickly pointing out to them they are not being accepted and they can make them again. (The factory eats the cost of making the batch correctly.) I suspect the factory is smart enough to always hit the quality target going forward, but having the benchmark for acceptable is extremely important.
You're still assuming they have the option of rejecting the cases, no matter how bad.
The reality is that the case manufacturer could up and decide they've had it and just not ship anything. Ignore phone calls, ignore all email, and then we get nothing, and OpenPandora has absolutely no recourse. When you pay for something up front, your bargaining powers are greatly diminished. Why you pay for something up front from a company in a different country, your bargaining power shrinks further. When that company is in China, your bargaining power is entirely based on the good intentions of those you're working with.

WizardStan said:
You're still assuming they have the option of rejecting the cases, no matter how bad.
The reality is that the case manufacturer could up and decide they've had it and just not ship anything. Ignore phone calls, ignore all email, and then we get nothing, and OpenPandora has absolutely no recourse. When you pay for something up front, your bargaining powers are greatly diminished. Why you pay for something up front from a company in a different country, your bargaining power shrinks further. When that company is in China, your bargaining power is entirely based on the good intentions of those you're working with.

This company allegedly has much bigger clients than OP. If they screw over OP they might save themselves a little bit of time and money, but it'd probably be at the expense of losing business from much bigger companies no longer willing to take the risk with them.

craigix said:
Incorrectly, clearly.

Ahem, I said what I had HEARD, not what was the case. Don't shoot the messenger. And please explain how it's "clear" that you're not in the used car business.

Exophase said:
craigix said:
Incorrectly, clearly.

Ahem, I said what I had HEARD, not what was the case. Don't shoot the messenger. And please explain how it's "clear" that you're not in the used car business.

I guess you might be too then.

Exophase said:
craigix said:
I guess you might be too then.

That doesn't even make any sense. Answer my question.

Because I just told you it was incorrect and I've never said I was?

I might as well ask you how it is clear that you are not a serial killer after saying I heard you were?

This conversation is crazy.

haven't you all got better things to do than argue for no reason on a friday night?

i'm having a night off to play metroid prime and slather over the new lady gaga video.

exophase, you're above these sorts of arguments and you know it

craigix said:

I might as well ask you how it is clear that you are not a serial killer after saying I heard you were?

I asked how it was clear that you weren't BEFORE you told me, ie why you added "clearly" to the end of your post, as if I were supposed to have somehow deductively determined that you weren't a used car salesman.

Or are you trying to say that the notion that you sold used cars is as absurd as the notion that I'm a serial killer?

Seriously, what are you getting at.

RenegadeChic said:
exophase, you're above these sorts of arguments and you know it

No I'm not, pay more attention to my posts here ;P Thanks for singling me out vs craigix in this though, clearly no favoritism there...

Exophase said:
craigix said:

I asked how it was clear that you weren't BEFORE you told me, ie why you added "clearly" to the end of your post, as if I were supposed to have somehow deductively determined that you weren't a used car salesman.

Or are you trying to say that the notion that you sold used cars is as absurd as the notion that I'm a serial killer?

Seriously, what are you getting at.

It was clear because I was telling you, me, as in the person you were talking about. So it was clear.

ie:

'Incorrectly' and this post is Craig speaking, so it's clearly incorrect.

As opposed to some random forum member saying it was incorrect.

I don't really know how it could have been more clear.

I mean like. I have hazel eyes, clearly.

It's clear because I just said it.

Yeah.

Exophase said:
I mean like. I have hazel eyes, clearly.

It's clear because I just said it.

Yeah.

No it isn't, because that's visual.

Jesus Christ though, we all know not to get in to an argument with you, so I'll tell you what, if it makes you feel better, I'll be your used car dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back