Big Update From Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the blog:

5. CE Testing documents and shielding
As I promised in my last blog post (though a lot of time passed), everybody who's interested can take a peek at the documents.
Michael already shielded the LCD cable, so everything should be fine now.

Anyways, here are the documents. You can clearly see a few peaks which were too high. But, luckily, not too many :)
Ok, so MWeston did shield the cable (I didn't see a post for that)? Are the peaks too high for CE certification? Is this analysis before or after the shielding?

What of shielding ~4000 ribbons, I thought they had all been ordered already, without shielding. What is the process, manual application of shielding, or ordering ~4000 with shielding?

Thanks, B.

Here's a quick question I'm sure someone can answer, who does the silk screening? Is it the same company in china creating the case moulds or are they going to ship the cases to somewhere else and get them done there?

BackAssward said:
What of shielding ~4000 ribbons, I thought they had all been ordered already, without shielding. What is the process, manual application of shielding, or ordering ~4000 with shielding?

Thanks, B.

Tests are without shielding as they've not been retested yet.
I believe the peaks where within limits, but high enough to be a cause of concern (borderline maybe?), and the fix was pretty easy
I think he wrapped them manually himself, therefore not a whole new batch of ribbons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Na-Noo said:
Source? (though it is likely true, that was my point, posting results on a not yet resolved issue), but please tell my how it is fact and not a supposition.

I believe the peaks where within limits, but high enough to be a cause ofconcern (borderline maybe?), and the fix was pretty easy
You can confirm this as fact and not a belief?

I think he wrapped them manually himself, therefore not a whole new batch of ribbons.
Clearly he wrapped 1 or a few for testing, but are you actually positing he wrapped ~4000 himself, in his spare time, in the past few days, when he didn't know for sure it would be enough? You are making an assumption not based in reality. If not, please link the source to this info.

Edit: Even if done by hand, it would need a shielding cut to fit the ribbon. He surely did not cut ~4000 shields already to fit the ribbons. Please imagine what manufacturing takes, in both design and time, plus time to apply... do you know the terms "design time", "manufacturing time", and "man hours"? Never-mind that the test shielding needs to be validated as fixing the issue even before "design time" starts?

BackAssward said:
A hand wrapped solution for all ~4000 is kinda silly.

does chineese underpaid hands apply too? :)

Elwing said:
BackAssward said:
A hand wrapped solution for all ~4000 is kinda silly.

does chineese underpaid hands apply too? :)
By your gracious smiley, I will take that as a gentle ribbing. I edited my post a bit. I really was replying that it is silly to think MWeston did ~4000 himself, as had been posited.

Edit: That clearly, the solution would need to be a manufacturing solution (even if Chinese hands), and would need to be tested before even trying to implement it.

BackAssward said:
Na-Noo said:
Source? (though it is likely true, that was my point, posting results on a not yet resolved issue), but please tell my how it is fact and not a supposition.

I believe the peaks where within limits, but high enough to be a cause ofconcern (borderline maybe?), and the fix was pretty easy
You can confirm this as fact and not a belief?

Clearly he wrapped 1 or a few for testing, but are you actually positing he wrapped ~4000 himself, in his spare time, in the past few days, when he didn't know for sure it would be enough? You are making an assumption not based in reality. If not, please link the source to this info.

Edit: Even if done by hand, it would need a shielding cut to fit the ribbon. He surely did not cut ~4000 shields already to fit the ribbons. Please imagine what manufacturing takes, in both design and time, plus time to apply... do you know the terms "design time", "manufacturing time", and "man hours"? Never-mind that the test shielding needs to be validated as fixing the issue even before "design time" starts?

They have not said that they've retested it, they have said that they have wrapped the cable and it was an easy fix and there's enough space to wrap them in the hinge etc. Be no point wrapping it if your going to order a new batch of cables, because the next test will be with the final case etc. But you never know maybe they will buy a whole new batch, maybe for 2nd batch, aren't they custom cables?
I'm sure he's not going to wrap them all himself, that would be pretty silly, he wrapped one to see if it was 'possible fix'.
If they go with the wrapped cables, I would expect that as they are being put together at that point they would wrap it for the one that's being built, I really don't see why the would do it any other way?

Sorry can't put links to where I believe I've got this information from (currently at work), try ED's previous blog entry as a guess.

(Oh and I didn't mean he'd be wrapping them ALL himself, even though that's what I wrote, typing quickly, although you never know he could've been bored hahaha)

Wouldn't need to retest it if it didn't fail but was enough of a concern, I think that's how they saw it. I'll track down some links for you bit later. Pretty sure you was around for the discussions though :)

How is the mass production of the boards coming along? I hope that the OP team approve of the case or I'm going to get really depressed considering how long its taken to make these moulds.

Shaun. said:
How is the mass production of the boards coming along? I hope that the OP team approve of the case or I'm going to get really depressed considering how long its taken to make these moulds.

See number 2 from Ed's blogs update

Na-Noo said:
Shaun. said:

I think it means its almost time for case mass production. Anyway what I mean't is how many boards have been made and how much longer till 4000 are completed.

Hmm... Now, it is 10 years since I was involved with any CE testing, but I'm slightly dubious from looking at those plots that just screening the cable to the screen will give enough attenuation. It sounds like ED managed to do some investigations when at the test lab, and this is the type of problem which the test labs fix for their customers every day - so maybe it's OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if several different screening options need to be tried. It is a relief that the spikes don't seem a lot worse with the TV-out, since problems there would be PCB change time. At least with the test results done, it is much easier to do comparison trials of the changes, not needing the full anechoic chamber and calibrated kit. I'd budget for a couple more trips to the test house, or at least the loan of a spectrum analyser!

Shaun. said:
Na-Noo said:
Shaun. said:

I think it means its almost time for case mass production. Anyway what I mean't is how many boards have been made and how much longer till 4000 are completed.

SORRY, you did say boards, I got cases on the mind. haha
That's a good question, be nice to know the status although we've been told it's the cases that are currently the bottle neck.

I'm still amazed at the level of human ingenuity to read a piece of text and arrive at so many different interpretations! :D

The only real issue I have with the post from ED is the sentence "Michael already shielded the LCD cable, so everything should be fine now." As these are the kinds of comments that I can see coming back and biting him (and us) on the arse!

And in response to whether Michael has hand shielded the cable I would imagine yes, as ED commented on in his previous post "Well, Michael has already begun to wrap up one of those LCD cables in a nice shield."

Na-Noo said:
That's a good question, be nice to know the status although we've been told it's the cases that are currently the bottle neck.
There is somewhere between 0 and 3895 MP boards completed, inclusive. That's all I need to know.

I just hope WiFi doesn't screw up the tests :( even with the shielded ribbons. Maybe shielding the cases with the same type of foil, taping the plastic areas near critical areas. Link. Let us pray to God that the pcb's don't need modification!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back