New Pics Up On Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I understood you ;)

edit:
Bah, put that in a spoiler tag please. It's worse than those basketball imitations.

mfk said:
The pictures are from China. We don't need to confirm anything about the cases. Everything is on track right now.

If you don't need to confirm anything about the cases, why only ship 1,000?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the Pandora's lid look the way it does, or does it only look that way because it's still a "sample"? I'm talking about the unevenness around the Pandora logo and the lower part of the back of the lid compared to the upper part of the back of the lid:

http://www.open-pandora.org/images/phocagallery/Recent/Photos/CaseProduction/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_DSC07011.JPG

It looks pretty fugly and shoddy.

craigix posted on 24 Decemeber 2009 said:
Hopefully in January we'll start shipping out Pandoras. I'm quite confident, but I don't like to say that because previous times when I've said that everything tends to go wrong, but you understand we just base our information on certain factories and suppliers, but there's so little left to do...in fact, yes, I'm quite confident you'll get your Pandoras in January.

Azure said:
Because we've learned after 1.5 years of delays not to get our hopes up and not to believe everything we're told; with this project's track record, it tends to lead to disappointment (how many of your estimates have come and gone by now? Yes, you go by what the factory tells you, but why haven't you learned your lesson yet to be skeptical of any estimates this factory gives you?).
HOLY CRAP! It is "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" for real! Or at least will be, if this actually goes through. I always found it suspicious that, with all the pranks the boy was pulling, it was far too coincidental that it was on the one time he was telling the truth that no one believed him. Really, why did they not believe him one before, or why not believe him just that one more time?
And now here, it's been a pretty consistent "oh, they'll do it this time!" and disappointment, until finally a real solid "they'll arrive the 22nd, we'll start assembly on April 1st" and it's all "yeah yeah, until the next thing to go wrong."
Spooky. Unless the hesitation is justified and the 22nd comes and goes, and April 1st passes. :(
Now I've depressed myself. I need to go eat chocolate.

WizardStan said:
Azure said:
Because we've learned after 1.5 years of delays not to get our hopes up and not to believe everything we're told; with this project's track record, it tends to lead to disappointment (how many of your estimates have come and gone by now? Yes, you go by what the factory tells you, but why haven't you learned your lesson yet to be skeptical of any estimates this factory gives you?).
HOLY CRAP! It is "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" for real! Or at least will be, if this actually goes through. I always found it suspicious that, with all the pranks the boy was pulling, it was far too coincidental that it was on the one time he was telling the truth that no one believed him. Really, why did they not believe him one before, or why not believe him just that one more time?
And now here, it's been a pretty consistent "oh, they'll do it this time!" and disappointment, until finally a real solid "they'll arrive the 22nd, we'll start assembly on April 1st" and it's all "yeah yeah, until the next thing to go wrong."
Spooky. Unless the hesitation is justified and the 22nd comes and goes, and April 1st passes. :(
Now I've depressed myself. I need to go eat chocolate.
wolf.jpg

Disclaimer: Almost every comic on that site is NSFW.

Azure said:
Will the Pandora's lid look the way it does, or does it only look that way because it's still a "sample"? I'm talking about the unevenness around the Pandora logo and the lower part of the back of the lid compared to the upper part of the back of the lid:

http://www.open-pandora.org/images/phocagallery/Recent/Photos/CaseProduction/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_DSC07011.JPG

Looks fine to me. Bear in mind that it will have the finish applied to it :)

EDIT: Never mind about the light, I was responding from memory.

craigix said:
Why aren't you all amazed that they are going to meet the 22nd March deadline?
Most stupid question.
I will be surprised if this will proven to be trustfully spoken words.

:angry2: How many more damn test runs do they have to do!??! :angry2: AUGH!!

OK, I feel better now. :p

Azure said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. It appears this shrinking would be caused by not cooling the parts properly, especially as this is after calibration of the machinery. Will the finishing process be able to remove such marks or is the unevenness to big to simply sand away? It's difficult to tell from the photos how much it's sunk.

I see what you mean about the case lids, you can almost see the internal workings there. However I'm not worried. There are still just samples, a lot, lot better samples. The finish looks... "pimp".

"A Craig who cried Pandora" - a novel reimagining of the classic tale "A boy who cried wolf". The film features a forum full of frustrated gaming handheld preorderers waiting eagerly for their promised device to arrive, and a shady car salesman type developer Craig who gives out his best guesstimates for delivery only to get lynched (virtually in effigy, the movie does not contain any violent scenes) several times over when the promised dates go by one by one. Meanwhile, several interesting subplots emerge from the forum community leading to action, adventure and even romance (may include gay lovers). The movie may contain scenes harmful to children's (and adults') psyche'.

EDIT: typo

craigix said:
Why aren't you all amazed that they are going to meet the 22nd March deadline?
Because we know, that you still have to wait for the Mainboards and these don't arrive at the 22nd March ;) . Building the complete Pandoras won't start before 1. April so I think this will be the real date of interest.
And please, NO Pandora releated April Jokes! ^_^

But nice to see, that the final MP Case production has started. :)

chris_r said:
Azure said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. It appears this shrinking would be caused by not cooling the parts properly, especially as this is after calibration of the machinery. Will the finishing process be able to remove such marks or is the unevenness to big to simply sand away? It's difficult to tell from the photos how much it's sunk.
Uh, I'm sure these parts are the first ones that came out of the machine. We don't know if hte machine is correctly heated up or full calibrated. I'm sure the Final mass production run will not have these marks anymore. :)

There one thing I'm not clear on here. Is this the

March 18th: Production of 1000 cases is finished and will be shipped to UK.

Part of the road map or are these the cases you check before getting the real final cases. I ask because as I understand it these cases (aside from the battery lid) are lacking the finish, which suggests that the first 1000 units may be made from these cases rather than the final, smoothed and finished cases... Not to start a panic or anything but... HUH?

atomicthumbs said:
jb0yx said:
Cause my opinion, and the opinions of the hundreds of other engineers who post on here
I'm not an engineer, but I play one in a video game

Eh? How? What game do you get to play an Engineer? I'm a Chartered Mechanical Engineer and I can't imagine 'playing' an Engineer in a video game. What does it entail? Do you get to blow-shit-up like I do? Do you get to work for a boss who knows nothing but pretends to know everything? I'm intrigued.

Alpha2 said:
There one thing I'm not clear on here. Is this the

March 18th: Production of 1000 cases is finished and will be shipped to UK.

Part of the road map or are these the cases you check before getting the real final cases. I ask because as I understand it these cases (aside from the battery lid) are lacking the finish, which suggests that the first 1000 units may be made from these cases rather than the final, smoothed and finished cases... Not to start a panic or anything but... HUH?
Well, from what I can gather from todays pics and info is that the parts you see in the pictures are all final cases. Only the battery cover so far has had the finished applied, and that is why it looks so nice. In the remaining time, they will produce all the 1000 case parts, and apply the finish to all remaining parts that require it. So on or around the 18th, all nice finished "final" cases will ship to the UK for assembly. Now once they arrive, the team will double check that everything still fits, and works like the proto types did, and then they will order the remaining 3000 ASAP!

Please correct me if any of this info is wrong/off?

Chris

carlgeorge said:
Eh? How? What game do you get to play an Engineer? I'm a Chartered Mechanical Engineer and I can't imagine 'playing' an Engineer in a video game. What does it entail? Do you get to blow-shit-up like I do? Do you get to work for a boss who knows nothing but pretends to know everything? I'm intrigued.

I played a Ph.D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8

Well, I'm stoked by these photos. All I'm hoping is that my Pandy arrives before April 20th as I fire off to New Orleans on holiday for a fortnight after that. Won't be a nightmare if it hasn't arrived by that point, but fingers crossed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back