New Pics Up On Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
mali said:
^You work at McDonalds? Interesting :)
I lied, I'm unemployed.... and homeless...

but I have a computer, so I'm completely qualified to make such decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:

Before you make any snap judgments based on that occupation, don't forget that in this financial climate, anyone who has any job at all is lucky to have it. Don't be a job snob.

jb0yx said:
mali said:
I lied, I'm unemployed.... and homeless...

We may have a job for you then! How do you feel about assembling hi-tech electronics, and sleeping in Craig's kitchen?

skeezix said:
strider_mt2k said:
Still developing the OS? :blink:

Wow.

1) Is an OS ever done? You think they're not still developing for Windows XP what, nearly a decade since it was originaly planned for release? :)

2) You go build your own distribution and customize nearly everything, in your spare time, for free ;)

jeff
There's a big difference between developing an OS and patching say security holes, and adding odd features, etc.
If Pandora had shipped 1.5 years ago I would say "yes we're developing the OS", now I would say we have a very good OS, that's having the usual patching etc done, that any other "professional" OS has.

I really think that some people don't realise just how good the OS is. (Well seems to be from what I can see)
Maybe we/OPT should just stop saying developing the OS and say, it will be in the service pack n, or in the normal firmware upgrade. :lol:

Nova said:
Before you make any snap judgments based on that occupation, don't forget that in this financial climate, anyone who has any job at all is lucky to have it. Don't be a job snob.

I totally love McDonalds and their employees, just not their food :)

[rant about how it's suddenly become rude to have an opinion about anything around here]

Lack of experience does not preclude any of us from forming an opinion. Right or wrong, educated guess or not. I would like to state for the record that I was not suggesting directly to the Open Pandora team to take any course of action over another. It was a statement of advisement, which could be used by anyone on the team if they decide to heed it. Not a demand.

I expressed my opinion of a situation and marked a stance of agreement with Nation.A.List's opinion. Furthermore, my opinion of this situation is not based on the need for knowledge of plastics manufacturing or even cake baking. Based on the track record we've observed with this particular company, with information provided to us. Whether they make plastic cases, bake cakes, or pressure wash toilet seats is inconsequential to the subject at hand. Facts are facts. They have demonstrated time and again that OPLtd is very low on their list of priorities, and have no reservations about putting this project on the back burner in favor of bigger clients. They also have demonstrated that do so to make room for customers who haven't already paid them in full.

It doesn't take a professional team leader, or businessman, or even a high-school graduate to see that finally - Open Pandora Ltd, has their attention at this moment, and would be wise to take every measure to ensure that attention is not given the opportunity to be directed elsewhere.

[/rant about how it's suddenly become rude to have an opinion about anything around here]

zounder1 said:
I disagree completely. The first 1000 will be a production run that will establish what is an acceptable product in fit and finish. Once you have that benchmark you can tell the factory that any units not meeting the quality of the first batch will not be accepted and, more importantly, not paid for. Maybe there will be a few tweaks required after the first 1000. Then another batch of 1000 will likely be made. Repeat the process until you hit a final production quality - then that is used as the benchmark going forward.
No, that would be prohibitively expensive and no plastics manufacturer would agree to it. The produce/tweak iteration you mention is what was supposed to have been going on over the past 6 months, and they did up 5 to 10 at a time, not 1000. This 1000 should not have any tweaks needed to be done to it, and if it does, they would need to go back to the small runs in the demo machine, not 1000 more production quality cases. No, this 1000 is supposed to be as close to perfect as they can get. The only reason they're getting 1000 and not the full 10000 is because they are paranoid, and rightly so, after the last sample we saw. Just because it should be perfect doesn't mean it will be once the finish is applied.
One more thing. You say "bad cases will not be paid for" but what you probably don't know but would if you'd been following along from the start is that everything has already been paid for. OpenPandora has no power to negotiate here, other than with the promise of future business. If a tweak is needed, they still have to accept these 1000, go back to the tweak/check (which will add at least a couple of weeks delay, probably more) before the next 9000 are produced.

Mindlord, I see your point, but thinking about the alternative of being stuck with a pile of 10k crappy cases eventually, I'd rather vote for checking those 1k first.

barnesy said:
Ooh, they do food now?
It's a trap ;)

@WizardStan
That's not the full story. They skipped the larger testing runs and so these 1k should be checked first.

mindlord said:
[rant about how it's suddenly become rude to have an opinion about anything around here]
Lack of experience does not preclude any of us from forming an opinion. Right or wrong, educated guess or not. I would like to state for the record that I was not suggesting directly to the Open Pandora team to take any course of action over another. It was a statement of advisement, which could be used by anyone on the team if they decide to heed it. Not a demand.

I expressed my opinion of a situation and marked a stance of agreement with Nation.A.List's opinion. Furthermore, my opinion of this situation is not based on the need for knowledge of plastics manufacturing or even cake baking. Based on the track record we've observed with this particular company, with information provided to us. Whether they make plastic cases, bake cakes, or pressure wash toilet seats is inconsequential to the subject at hand. Facts are facts. They have demonstrated time and again that OPLtd is very low on their list of priorities, and have no reservations about putting this project on the back burner in favor of bigger clients. They also have demonstrated that do so to make room for customers who haven't already paid them in full.

It doesn't take a professional team leader, or businessman, or even a high-school graduate to see that finally - Open Pandora Ltd, has their attention at this moment, and would be wise to take every measure to ensure that attention is not given the opportunity to be directed elsewhere.
[/rant about how it's suddenly become rude to have an opinion about anything around here]
I think it's always been rude, I'm just suddenly pointing it out in my own special way.

@mali

It really doesn't matter if it's the full story or not. The cases are already paid in full. That's pretty much all there is to it. *Especially* with what's already happened and our experience with this Chinese company. I'd say take whatever you can get and run.

Edit: I'm just finding it hard to believe that OP will get 1,000 and say, "Oh this didn't come out right, you have to do this better" WTH will they do with the 1,000 that are "no good". Throw them away. Give them to customers that don't mind imperfect cases?

Literally think about how long it's taken this company to produce the molds. Hypothetically, if all 10k Pandora's were produced now, it would take two months to get them to all the customers. That's May. I have zero faith in this mold company to do anything fast. On top of that, I get the impression that this Chinese Company feels they are doing too much work for such a small order. And if you keep pushing them, they can fuck you harder than we can fuck them. Do not doubt this company to delay the project into 2011.

mali said:
@WizardStan
That's not the full story. They skipped the larger testing runs and so these 1k should be checked first.
My post was more about the suggestion to use the 1000 cases as if they were the samples to be tweaked than whether the 1000 should be checked first. I agree, these 1000 should be checked before accepting the next 9000, but expecting them to crank out 1000 for each flaw is madness. If they'd done that from the start, we'd already have wasted 3000 cases (well, 2000. Supposedly the third batch could have worked)

craigix said:
Why aren't you all amazed that they are going to meet the 22nd March deadline?
I'll be amazed the 22:nd if the cases have arrived by then.

We'll be amazed at march 22nd, when we see pictures of ED and you haning out at the town hall neckdeep in pandoraparts. No offense, but I'm hard to impress since I laid my hands on a pandora... back in December

edit: this board has some serious ninja-issues

craigix said:

Not for nothing, but my hopes have been crushed many times with this mold company. So I will wait until I hear confirmation from you guys that they've arrived. It IS very good news. But I can't allow myself to get my hopes up.

craigix said:
Six months of them saying they'll meet a certain deadline only to have it pass by have crushed our souls into a fine paste?

edit: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

craigix said:

Because we've been waiting for a year and a half and have seen delay after delay, problem after problem. Things were looking great and on the cusp of hitting the deadlines for Christmas too - and here we are nearly 3 and a half months later. We were told they were going to get out before chinese new year as well.. and then immediately afterwards.... everything was ok'd and good to go then too.

Most of us will believe it when it actually happens - not just when it looks imminent. There is plenty of history to suggest something could easily go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back