New Firmware Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sam fisher posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
Matrovska video or something like that, isn't it?

It's a container that supports a lot more things, mostly useless unless you use very advanced subtitles or something too silly to just be encoded with the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:19 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
Matrovska video or something like that, isn't it?

It's a container that supports a lot more things, mostly useless unless you use very advanced subtitles or something too silly to just be encoded with the movie.

I've got GG Allin/Hated in the Nation on .mkv

I can only play it in Super© ... I'll have to convert it.

mkv is amazing for pure dvd rips, such as for dubbed/subbed shows, you get the subtitles or not, and you get the 2 audio streams for only one video stream, so it saves loads of space.

PSyMastR posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:27 PM said:
mkv is amazing for pure dvd rips, such as for dubbed/subbed shows, you get the subtitles or not, and you get the 2 audio streams for only one video stream, so it saves loads of space.
OGM can do all that and more, literally. MKV is rather useless.

iignotus posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:59 PM said:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/ also is a complete DVD compressor...

Shikaku posted on Jul 5 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
Maybe... FULL SAUCE?!

Hell Yes!

I would like some better video play though, like maybe more formats er somethin :p

iignotus posted on Aug 9 2006 at 08:59 PM said:
Actually the reverse is true. MKV can do anything OGM can do and more. There is nothing that OGM can do that MKV can't, but quite a bit that MKV can do that OGM can't. MKV has made OGM obsolete for multi-audio stream video files.

regarding matroska: I'm not a huge fan because while I generally make and/or download my video collection on my PC, I never actually watch them on the PC. I have a divx-enabled settop player for the family room and a divx-enabled portable for the bed and the road. The Gp2X was going to be my third stand-alone. That's why I'm generally not excited about stuff like matroska and ogg audio. I have to go through the hassle of removing it if I want to play on one of my players.

On the other hand...
A classic mkv is an anime video with english and japanese audio plus english (and maybe other) subtitles. Within that file, you can use a free tool (I forgot which one I used) to pull exactly the files you need, and create a stand-alone friendly file without reencoding.

markiej posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:03 AM said:
regarding matroska: I'm not a huge fan because while I generally make and/or download my video collection on my PC, I never actually watch them on the PC. I have a divx-enabled settop player for the family room and a divx-enabled portable for the bed and the road. The Gp2X was going to be my third stand-alone. That's why I'm generally not excited about stuff like matroska and ogg audio. I have to go through the hassle of removing it if I want to play on one of my players.

On the other hand...
A classic mkv is an anime video with english and japanese audio plus english (and maybe other) subtitles. Within that file, you can use a free tool (I forgot which one I used) to pull exactly the files you need, and create a stand-alone friendly file without reencoding.

Well I would really be happy if i had that program and it allowed me to convert my mkv anime eps into watchable format on gp2x with subs and japanese audio

mcqfesijiba posted on Aug 10 2006 at 10:49 AM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 9 2006 at 08:59 PM said:
Actually the reverse is true. MKV can do anything OGM can do and more. There is nothing that OGM can do that MKV can't, but quite a bit that MKV can do that OGM can't. MKV has made OGM obsolete for multi-audio stream video files.
I call complete bullshit on you. "MKV has made OGM obsolete for multi-audio stream video files." is utter garbage. The OGM container supports up to 256 different simulateneous or separate audio channels. That's not enough?

Tell me the reasons why MKV is so fantastic, but don't go lieing by saying that it's actually better than OGM. OGM is currently better than MKV, and it was only created as a stopgap solution. It's actually waiting to be replaced by MKV, but MKV hasn't superceded it yet in features or compatibility.

A few links to point out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGM:
Fundamentally, the format is a hack of the Ogg container format, which has only been designed to support encoders endorsed by Xiph.org (website), the creators of Ogg. It is most likely going to be viewed as a temporary solution, to be phased out when other media container formats (for example, Matroska) mature and come to support the same services.
Basically, OGM is just a quick and dirty hack of the OGG audio format that supports OGG encodings, it was not written to even compete with Matroska as a container format.

And from OGM's own site (http://xiph.org/container/ogg-vs-matroska.html):
Ogg and Matroska both have different philosophies, and both can co-exist. Matroska is more a kitchen sink format, whereas ogg is an absolute bare bones format. Which one is better really depends on preference.
In terms of features, matroska wins. That doesn't mean however that OGM doesn't have it's benefits; OGM is generally a simpler and (until matroska matures) possibly more stable solution(?).

But isn't this thread about firmware? Anyone have any news?

(First post btw :D )

I don't see a real reason to use Matroska on the '2x. I mean, let's say I want to use one of my .. um, 2 MKV files (2 anime episodes) on the GP2X. I don't need to randomly switch between the 2 audio tracks; I only really want to use one .. but with both the file is nearly 300MB! With just one, more like 160.. with a 1024MB SD card capacity why would I want to be using the MKV version with all the extraneous data?

One of the advantages of Matroska is the ability to position subtitles anywhere on the screen and in any color. If you've noticed, OGMs only support subtitles in the standard position at the bottom of the screen.

Practically speaking, Matroska and OGM are about the same except for the subtitle part, which can come in real helpful when there are certain signs and text that would work better with a subtitle next to it rather at the bottom of the screen (plus the different color thing is nice).

Re: iignotus: it's probably a good idea to do some research before you start spouting your own 'bullshit'.

Some advantages of mkv over ogm:
Superior subtitle support (ssa subs, unicode support, etc)
Less overhead of the container itself than OGM (there's a test of this available somwhere online)
Better documentation and community support
Variable frame rate video support
There are probably others, but that's all I've got off of the top of my head.
I really can't name any noticeable advantage of ogm over mkv. Perhaps someone else can?

The subtitle difference alone is huge to me. I just don't much care for srt subs if I can avoid them.
OGM is still usable, but as far as I'm concerned, it was passed by mkv quite a while ago. It actually surprises me that the GP2X movie player doesn't support it already.

Ranma13 posted on Aug 13 2006 at 03:49 AM said:
One of the advantages of Matroska is the ability to position subtitles anywhere on the screen and in any color. If you've noticed, OGMs only support subtitles in the standard position at the bottom of the screen.

Practically speaking, Matroska and OGM are about the same except for the subtitle part, which can come in real helpful when there are certain signs and text that would work better with a subtitle next to it rather at the bottom of the screen (plus the different color thing is nice).

Re: iignotus: it's probably a good idea to do some research before you start spouting your own 'bullshit'.
I don't see you quoting any sources either so you can sod off with your shitty opinions. Ooh, wow, subtitles, what an amazing point, too bad the bulk of my response was about audio.

You know, many ask the same question about you JaqMs

edit/ I of course love it when you post, it brings life to this board otherwise full of stiffs

xinfernoofdantex posted on Aug 13 2006 at 02:25 PM said:
You know, many ask the same question about you JaqMs

edit/ I of course love it when you post, it brings life to this board otherwise full of stiffs
suck up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back