New Coding Competition with 1Ghz Pandora Prize ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
ED, a simple suggestion.

Since you did a coding competition when the Rebirth edition came out earlier this year, (and since very good things came out of it) how about launching a new coding competition with the main prize being a 1Ghz Pandora ?

I, for one, would be very interested to create new software if such a competition was launched (I will anyway make it sooner or later, but I find it very stimulating to work against a deadline) :)

Just an idea, since it seems you may have a few 1Ghz available under your belt nowadays, or probably in the near future anyway.

Sure, why not?

The question is: What should be coded? :)

Apps? Games? Ports?

I'd suggest to keep it open, just like for the Rebirth competition !

That way we will get many entries in different categories. Last time we got Qemu and PNDManager as apps, both of them proved to be very much needed additions to the Pandora Library.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think focus on one part will be better, last time many cried "Turrican is only a port....".

It would ne great, when things from early pandoras will be renewed like emulators (for example to synchronize the use of the keys or used roms-path), but I think we need better ports for Duke Nukem 3d, Quake, Shadow Warrior... that they all will work without issues and full sound etc, I think there is much to do...

It would ne great, when things from early pandoras will be renewed like emulators (for example to synchronize the use of the keys or used roms-path), but I think we need better ports for Duke Nukem 3d, Quake, Shadow Warrior...

Then we can have at least four categories :

1 / Ports (non-games)

2/ Ports (games)

3/ Original applications (non-games)

4/ Original games

I can only repeat what I said earlier in terms of an "open" competition:

• Do not throw emulators, ports, apps and new games into one pot. It just doesn't work out just.
  • Do only allow entries that can be considered "done" in some way. Without intending to attack the devs who spend their free time on free software, but how much enjoyment do Rainy Day, Paper Wars, BBQ and others bring today compared to maybe less beautiful/potential awesome, but finished programs?
  • Consider to make a jury rate the software either alone or in combinition with community votes. I find the results of past gp32spain competition better justified than the community votings. Many people just vote for 3D, fancy graphics, better known devs... instead for the mere quality of something
  • Allow community donations for the price pot and advertise them better

...my 2ct

How about categories like

a) Create an app or game from scratch

b [and a freakin closing bracket because this forum turns it into a shades emote <.<] Improve an app or game that is already available on Pandora

c) Port an app or game to the Pandora

Edit: Duh, nevermind, that's basically what ekianjo suggests.

Then we can have at least four categories :

1 / Ports (non-games)

2/ Ports (games)

3/ Original applications (non-games)

4/ Original games
I'm sure ED wouldn't want to put 4 1GHz Pandoras up for prizes, so how would you decide what goes where?

This might actually be one I'll get around to entering :p

^ If there's different categories there could easily be different prizes

Say, give a 1GHz Pandora to the best new original app. Then, a somewhat lesser prize for a port and so on.

Say, give a 1GHz Pandora to the best new original app. Then, a somewhat lesser prize for a port and so on.
App or Game? But yeah, I suppose if the prize pools are laid out at the front, people know where they stand, and where they'd want to enter

You can have an overall voting among all categories to find out who would be the winner of the 1Ghz Pandora -

And maybe a few other prizes per category... for example, t-shirts, accessories... ?

Well, I can try to look for some sponsors, then multiple 1GHz Pandoras would be possible.

I think a competition for useful software would be good.

The Pandora already has several entire consoles' worth of games available.

People could vote on which contribution, in the state its submitted in, they find most useful

Perhaps a 1GHz pandora for the best new app and a SD card case full of class 16 cards for the best port.

Both singed by the entire team, of course :)

Well just to throw some ideas out there for any competition entrees.

A way to automatically save my savegames, especially in emulators to sync them with PC emulators would be awesome. (A la SteamCloud) I have no clue how to code it myself, or else I would...

A way to automatically save my savegames, especially in emulators to sync them with PC emulators would be awesome. (A la SteamCloud) I have no clue how to code it myself, or else I would...
I'm intending to do something like this, but not limited to save games/states. However, that'll take place after P01 : Trigger Happy, and possibly the Alarm Clock.

P01 : Trigger Happy will probably be my entry to this contest (unless there's some rule about starting before the compo, I hope not)

(unless there's some rule about starting before the compo, I hope not)
Most competitions have this rule. But in fact: This rule is stupid, because most competitions also allow to use every library you want. So I could use sparrow3d if I want, instead of writing a LOT of stuff again - and you know, how much time I spent writing it. :)

I think focus on one part will be better, last time many cried "Turrican is only a port....".

So was qemu, so if were really that many that complained about it was did the votes end the way they did.

If there were some that complained about Hurrican I would hope they would realize the work is technically a port but its about as involved as a port can get. I dont think it would have entered it otherwise.

On one hand i agree the 'anything goes' really doesnt scale well. I actually entered in my from homebrew project Polyhedra, and of course it had no chance against something like qemu.

On one hand i agree the 'anything goes' really doesnt scale well. I actually entered in my from homebrew project Polyhedra, and of course it had no chance against something like qemu.

That is why we need a few categories. ANd maybe a few leads from ED or the jury members as to what kind of apps they would like to see.

(unless there's some rule about starting before the compo, I hope not)
Most competitions have this rule. But in fact: This rule is stupid, because most competitions also allow to use every library you want. So I could use sparrow3d if I want, instead of writing a LOT of stuff again - and you know, how much time I spent writing it. :)

Agree, this rule is stupid. YOu are always basing your work on previous' people's work anyway and no application is ever written from scratch.

Back