Pd Roms Coding Competition #3.666

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
banner_pdrc3666.jpg

It's time for a new coding competition on PD Roms... read everything about it on http://www.pdroms.de

As usual there are plenty of systems allowed - Interesting for the users of this page are the fact of the allowance of GP32 and GP2x entries. There is a prizemoney of total 300 US$ in this competition. Please help spreading the word about this competition, I am very short on time as I am leaving for vacation in few hours - so I hope the community can push it a bit :)

good to see another compo from kojote, always get nice entries from them. I have two questions though. first is that you cant have external files apart from the main binary for gp32 and gp2x, I would really like this to be changed. also DS is missing from the list of allowed consoles, is there a reason for this or just you forgot as i bet there would be some great games made for the DS.

I would make an entry but cant enter for the gp2x as cant have extra files and I am thinking about moving over to coding on DS soon but you are not allowing entries for it.

"From the rules page:" said:
We do NOT accept Fenix, Python and LUA coded games - use a REAL coding language, thank you! :)

I'm sorry but this sucks. Just exactly what difference does it make what language the game is programmed in? These languages are as valid as any other. Sounds like snobbery to me. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
good to see another compo from kojote, always get nice entries from them. I have two questions though. first is that you cant have external files apart from the main binary for gp32 and gp2x, I would really like this to be changed. also DS is missing from the list of allowed consoles, is there a reason for this or just you forgot as i bet there would be some great games made for the DS.

I would make an entry but cant enter for the gp2x as cant have extra files and I am thinking about moving over to coding on DS soon but you are not allowing entries for it.

It doesn't say the 1 file can't be self extracting

I think DS isnt there because they say it must be on 1 screen? :unsure:

We do NOT accept Fenix, Python and LUA coded games - use a REAL coding language, thank you! :)

I'm sorry but this sucks. Just exactly what difference does it make what language the game is programmed in? These languages are as valid as any other. Sounds like snobbery to me. :angry:
I hear you, it's narrow-mindedness like that that holds back great games.

- Alex

I agree, that is a weird rule as well as the "1 file only rule". I asked if JAVA is considered a REAL coding language, if not, I will kick their asses. Also, how are you supposed to have only one file? What about the graphics? Hardcode them in Assembler?

I might code something in zot just to annoy them.

Define real coding language, you elitist bastards.

I might code something in zot just to annoy them.

Define real coding language, you elitist bastards.
Easy, it will be whatever language kojote likes using. As for the stupid 1 file rule that makes sure you can't use fenix anyway as you need several files for that and a runtime. Well it's their loss as I've seen some great games made in fenix and considering how easy it is to get a fenix game running on various systems rather than being stuck to one it seems doubly stupid.
I'm off to program in some inferior language now. It's a shame the game is doomed to suck because i'm not using something more 'real'.

I agree, that is a weird rule as well as the "1 file only rule". I asked if JAVA is considered a REAL coding language, if not, I will kick their asses. Also, how are you supposed to have only one file? What about the graphics? Hardcode them in Assembler?
You can use bin2h for use in C programs. I prefer having a couple of separate files instead though, makes things more flexible.

- Alex

@Goity: Keep the flames down, specialy for no reason.

I have read the thread and it seems there is some need to make few things clearer :)

GP32/GP2x - changed "one file games only" to "one file games prefered but not must" - hope it will help some people. But please keep the files low.
Added "No Nintendo DS and No PSP, sorry (due to lack of having the real hardware and not beeing emulated proper)
Added "ZoT" to the list of not wanted languages
Added a note for Fenix, Lua, ZoT and Python coders - "A seperated competition for those will be held by someone else - this might clear up some things and why we at PDRoms don't take those." - tho we are sure it would give a massive entry boost.

It always turns out after the rules are public, that there is need to correct things, allthough 5 people who have seen the rules beforehand were ok with it :)

I prefer having all in one file.
For little game it's pitty to have many sound files and bmp file when you can have all in one and now for gp2x compressed with gpecomp of rlyeh!

A small game just need 2 files, the game and the save.
Yes a little read me, but it can be include in the game in the help area :).

These rules are perfects for me, it's easier than make a 8KB demo or 64KB too :)

I've seen in the past some games in gp32 with some hundred of files ... and it's very very long to load on SMC and after run the game !

I have read the thread and it seems there is some need to make few things clearer :)

Added a note for Fenix, Lua, ZoT and Python coders - "A seperated competition for those will be held by someone else - this might clear up some things and why we at PDRoms don't take those." - tho we are sure it would give a massive entry boost.

So why is it that you don't accept those languages?

Due to a short discussion with Evildragon and the high amount of Fenix, Lua, Python, Java, ZoT use request we have modded the rules onces more:

Fenix, Lua, ZoT and Python are allowed now due to massive request. Put your thanks over to EvilDragon/GP2x.de

Added "If you keep the file size low, it will be honored."

This means... use whatever you want to code your game but also give us the correct interpretor for it ;) I hope everyone is happy now... but probably not :D

Yay - power to the people :p

Will get my thinking cap on and start work on an entry for the compo now.

it would have been nice to see DS (and PSP i guess) supported but at least kojote as taken notice of our requests and made it more flexible for gp2x coders. so it looks like ill be coding my next game on gp2x then :)

it would have been nice to see DS (and PSP i guess) supported but at least kojote as taken notice of our requests and made it more flexible for gp2x coders. so it looks like ill be coding my next game on gp2x then :)
We (GP2x Community) win twice then :)

I think I understand why the request for no interpreted games would be allowed, but now that it's resolved all is good. This should get some great entries!

I owe Kojote an entry to this competition and I am thinking hard on what to make for it. Kojote has been one of my main inspirations to do homebrew development and whether he's aware of it or not, he has helped me greatly along the way. So if I didn't know a non-interpreted language and he said it wasn't allowed, my point would be...learn a language he allows. ;P

Thank you Kojote for all your support and hope your projects are doing well. :)

Back