My first impressions of the Pyra

On the Pandora, Exophase's DS emulator allowed various layouts of the two screens or just one on the Pandora's screen. By observant placing of those elements by going through the options, it was always possible to move the edge icons away from the edge of the actual screen.

There may be more of an issue with linux WM elements like the main menu and application menus, but most WM's allow you to move the panel containing the main menu around assuming one edge works better than another. Although learning to use the menu via the keyboard is a lesson most linux users should appreciate.

My favorite NDS game is "Advance Wars: Dual Strike". In this game, if you use touch screen, you have same controls in screen border: Among them for example "Menu" and "Swap" small buttons on top border
View attachment 36806
"Yes/Now" options when game ask for confirmation, and when you are using a normal map (not a very small map), you use pen on borders to displace around map bigger than screen.
View attachment 36807

In "GTA Chinatown Wars" you have a few elements on top border: "PDA" button, "email" button... On bottom border for example small buttons to change radio station.
View attachment 36808

Of course on other games it can be OK not using borders, but some games on NDS would be unplayable using touch screen.

And this is Nintendo DS, because a lot of Linux soft uses elements near borders. In fact the is the normal place where you encounter menu and other elements.
Those buttons are not tiny.
Compared to window decoration icons they are pretty large.
From what I can tell there should be no issues hitting those.

Just to clarify this:
You are unable to click on the edges, yes, but that doesnt mean it is unreachable.
You can stretch out the area in the calibration, then the position of clicked point and pointer is mismatched a bit, but you can reach the very edge just fine then.

That is a very solid bit of thinking, right there. Thanks!

P.S. I'm mostly responding to this so I'll see my own post in future and be reminded to try your approach. Self-centered of me.

Yeah I agree. The buttons within emulators wont be a problem. Maybe some dos games in full screen. There should soon be plenty of software solutions for that. On galaxy note, the border corners are unprecise but you notice the arrow advances a little over the pen touch as you approach those areas. It is all seemless and makes no difference within the experience. For drawing, the response time is an all around winner and this technology rocks. On this case, borders wont trouble either as one usually draws taking extensive advantage of zoom, even on cintiq.

Ok my Pyra was arrive, unfortunately I made a mistake on the first run wizard and it’s now in English., ^^
Oh and someone may miss now his Serial Number because my Pyra is Number 37 ... I fine whit this but I also hope that the other user is also fine whit that..
When I push the SD cards in the slot on the front side out, it’s boots quite fast..

The battery is quite thought to put in, but I think it’s should work better if you put the battery in the cover, not insert the battery and put the cover on..

The surrounding around the DPAD is quite big, but it should work..

And I don’t know how to use synaptic, but this should be a matter of try and error ^^

Send from something, i guess ^^
b82efb5e5db675015db9dafeeba00d1b.jpg

Thanks, I allready fixed the Language via Terminal and made the first Update,
I also put some software via Symnatic on: Audacity, Firefox, Thunderbird and Libre Office, so I can allready work whit it..
I noticed that the USB Ports where quite thight, it’s not that easy to insert my USB Stick, I hope I don’t break nothing,
It’s reads my 128 gb USB 3 Stick fine..

It’s now on the Charger, shut down so I hope it will be ready for tomorrow..

Send from something, i guess ^^

Got mine, too. Got 31, I think you got my 37! Doesn't matter to me!

Stupid business at work, will play much more later but very nice so far!

ca98a4849222c2071abf5a8c274bbde6.jpg

Congrats on receiving your Pyra. Looks great!

Is it just my ol' eyes or is it the photo, but the Pyra looks quite bit larger than the Pandora.

I do like how large the display looks compared to the Pandora. Looks much better so big!

Have fun,

Mark

Congrats on receiving your Pyra. Looks great!

Is it just my ol' eyes or is it the photo, but the Pyra looks quite bit larger than the Pandora.
It's not your eyes; a box bounding the two front corners of the Pyra is about 375 pixels wide as rendered on my screen while a box bounding the Pandora's front corners is 330 pixels wide. But it must be some projection I'm not seeing because as Matty showed the units have more or less the same footprint. It does seem slighty nearer the camera but to have that large an effect I suspect there's something else going on.

Back