My first impressions of the Pyra

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Ok my Pyra was arrive, unfortunately I made a mistake on the first run wizard and it’s now in English., ^^
Oh and someone may miss now his Serial Number because my Pyra is Number 37 ... I fine whit this but I also hope that the other user is also fine whit that..
When I push the SD cards in the slot on the front side out, it’s boots quite fast..

The battery is quite thought to put in, but I think it’s should work better if you put the battery in the cover, not insert the battery and put the cover on..

The surrounding around the DPAD is quite big, but it should work..

And I don’t know how to use synaptic, but this should be a matter of try and error ^^

Send from something, i guess ^^

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Thanks, I allready fixed the Language via Terminal and made the first Update,
I also put some software via Symnatic on: Audacity, Firefox, Thunderbird and Libre Office, so I can allready work whit it..
I noticed that the USB Ports where quite thight, it’s not that easy to insert my USB Stick, I hope I don’t break nothing,
It’s reads my 128 gb USB 3 Stick fine..

It’s now on the Charger, shut down so I hope it will be ready for tomorrow..

ArchiMark

Digerati & Pretty Nice Guy
Got mine, too. Got 31, I think you got my 37! Doesn't matter to me!

Stupid business at work, will play much more later but very nice so far!

Congrats on receiving your Pyra. Looks great!

Is it just my ol' eyes or is it the photo, but the Pyra looks quite bit larger than the Pandora.

I do like how large the display looks compared to the Pandora. Looks much better so big!

Have fun,

Mark

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Congrats on receiving your Pyra. Looks great!

Is it just my ol' eyes or is it the photo, but the Pyra looks quite bit larger than the Pandora.
It's not your eyes; a box bounding the two front corners of the Pyra is about 375 pixels wide as rendered on my screen while a box bounding the Pandora's front corners is 330 pixels wide. But it must be some projection I'm not seeing because as Matty showed the units have more or less the same footprint. It does seem slighty nearer the camera but to have that large an effect I suspect there's something else going on.

ArchiMark

It's not your eyes; a box bounding the two front corners of the Pyra is about 375 pixels wide as rendered on my screen while a box bounding the Pandora's front corners is 330 pixels wide. But it must be some projection I'm not seeing because as Matty showed the units have more or less the same footprint. It does seem slighty nearer the camera but to have that large an effect I suspect there's something else going on.

Then it's probably just some perspective distortion due to the cameral lens and angle of view for taking the photo.

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
I worked a bit whit the Pyra this evening: I copy the DS Roms from my Pandora SD Card to the Pyra Rom SD Card, also opened some Documents to see how good it’s opened it up, works quite good and after I downloaded Cups whit Synaptic, I’m now are able to print^^
I allready put my USB HDD on, and I was also successful connect my Bluetooth Mouse ..
not working was my try to open C64 SIDs whit Audacity, like I dit on the Pandora:
It would play the Music from the Game, but seems like Audacity needs a special Plugin

ArchiMark

Sounds great, matzesu!

Do you notice much difference in speed or responsiveness with Pyra vs Pandora?

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
No because I didn’t boot up my Pandora, as but I think I have to test at least some things..

When I was in Firefox whit the Pandora,,it wasn’t even possible to surv because the Popups who made it too slow, but on Pyra it’s quite usable.. only the Display Font Size needs some work because it’s not that easy to read the Text ..

I even tried to watch my Pandora Video on YouTube, but like someone else allready mentioned, it stutters..

Maybe on Weekend might be good to compare Pandora/Pyra