My first impressions of the Pyra

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Thanks but i allready have Audacity, but i know how to use Symnatic to get Audacious..
And because the Pyra is allways my second Device i have whit me, i can allways make a small search for the right comand on my Iphone, as its standart Linux..
Post automatically merged:

sudo apt-get install batterie ^^

Wally

I am a banana!
Staff member
Heh, if a pro like Wally can't get his battery cover on, what chance do I have?

Yeah the cover was a bit fiddly to get on, its a particular angle it needs to go in, works fine and keeps battery secure though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Yeah the cover was a bit fiddly to get on, its a particular angle it needs to go in, works fine and keeps battery secure though
The way I did it on my Pandora, and I assume it'll work easier here, is if you put the battery in the battery cover - rather than directly in the Pyra, then holding them together put the cover on.
I found that was the easiest way to put the battery in the Pandora

elvissteinjr

Very Active Member
On my Pandora I can just put one in after the other. I feel like that's also the natural way to do it.
This doesn't work on the Pyra as the fit is too tight. How Wally did it surprised me since I was totally sure I'd break the cover on mine if I did that. Inserting both together works, but even then I have to make sure the lower part of the cover is in before the battery slides in the way.
Once it's in it's very secure though. Maybe too much even. Getting the battery out again is equally tricky since the battery won't just slide out again on its own and sits there tight while also blocking the cover from fully opening. Needs some careful nudging.

At least that's the experience on my unit. Could possibly be better on others, considering tolerances.

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
I worked a bit, whit the Pyra, works good,

Send from something, i guess ^^

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
The way I did it on my Pandora, and I assume it'll work easier here, is if you put the battery in the battery cover - rather than directly in the Pyra, then holding them together put the cover on.
I found that was the easiest way to put the battery in the Pandora
I couldn't do that, because if I held my Pandora the right way up to drop it on the cover, half of the little paper wedges I've got in there to hold the battery secure would likely fall out. I assume they won't be as necessary on my Pyra.

Phlyra

Electric
Please would someone kindly explain to/remind this NOOB why the USB 3 port only supports USB 2?

pyrat

Very Active Member
IIRC the SOC does not support USB3 [Edit: Wrong! does support 1 otg USB3 see posts below]. The connector is there because:
- A future SOC might
- The extra lines are useful to be able to output SATA lines there in a nonstandard way and thus be able to connect a Pyra-specific SATA adapter, and connect that to devices (hard disks, DVDs, whatever...)

But I haven't checked anything, so I may have misunderstood it or forgotten something.

Last edited:

Phlyra

Electric
IIRC the SOC does not support USB3. The connector is there because:
- A future SOC might
- The extra lines are useful to be able to output SATA lines there in a nonstandard way and thus be able to connect a Pyra-specific SATA adapter, and connect that to devices (hard disks, DVDs, whatever...)

But I haven't checked anything, so I may have misunderstood it or forgotten something.
Ah yes, that rings a bell - thanks!

theredbaron

Very Active Member
- A future SOC might

I thought the soc only supported USB 3 as otg. Thus why we have a USB 3 otg port too.

However, yeah, that is why the full size USB is usb3. Got to love sata ports on a portable, even if you have to use an adapter.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
- A future SOC might

It does support USB3, but as OTG. The USB3Micro port on the Pyra is an OTG port.

pyrat

Very Active Member
I should have checked.
Just first option in "The Pyra" menu up there leads to the specifications page.
2x Full-size USB 2.0 Host (one can be used as eSATA-with a small adaptor), 1x Micro USB 3.0, 1x Micro USB (Debug and Charging)
I guess my memory failed me. The SOC does support USB 3, then, just not two of them.
Wikipedia says :
OMAP 5 also includes three USB 2.0 ports, one lowspeed USB 3.0 OTG port and a SATA 2.0 controller.

atari_afternoon

Very Active Member
@matzesu, nice video, happy for you (and for the other lucky owners) you got it finally :)
Had to tilt my head to the side a bit but I liked your style a lot: straight to the point and no flashy ado, popups, inserts,o "follow me on instatwitter" etc.
Just a real-time video and first-person view of the moment of unboxing after two months. :)

I hope to be able to get a Pyra myself soon, hopefully later this year (I was not a preorderer, just a daily PAndora-user and daily forum reader watching the progress). It is such a nice projectand at las tit is finalized and in people´s hands :)

TrashyMG

Sarcasm Dispenser
Staff member
A few crappy pics and a boot comparison video of Pyra vs Pandora. The Pyra is a little thicker and a little tiny bit deeper.

Just FYI, Pyra would actually boot up a bit faster if there wasn't a small delay in start up that allowed you to change boot settings via the serial console on the Micro USB port.