My first contribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... that's bizarre. I'll have to investigate. Was that on ext? It definitely shouldn't matter on FAT. And it works fine with ext4 on my laptop

Fat32.. but okay sure I think I tried it once before patching, then changed the names to lower case.. then realized I needed to patch, then copied the files and renamed them to lower case without trying to if it would work with uppercase lettering.

4. Renamed all Files to lowercase (still doesn't run from this state)
I'm on a FAT32 Partition, do i need ext3 or something else, i think FAT32 is case insensitive?
this might be thre reason. I have both versions of each file: upper & lowercase (the other one is just a symlink). So homeworld reads some as uppercase, some as lowercase (because all lowercase didn't work). On fat32 indeed you can't have upper/lowercase, so homeworld cannot find some file. I think. This might be fixable in the source code.

Homeworld just needs all files to be correctly cased so that they have the right names - the same as with any file! On FAT32 it doesn't matter, on case sensitive file systems they must have the correct names and case does matter, but homeworld does not need both, in fact your symlinks are as the names should be. I doubt this is a bug in the source... see my post above!

Thanks. Will try when i'm home. I only know, that md5 isn't the same for all files, like the ones posted above.

Perhaps install didn't work properly. But patch to 1.05 reported success.

Thanks. Will try when i'm home. I only know, that md5 isn't the same for all files, like the ones posted above.

Perhaps install didn't work properly. But patch to 1.05 reported success.

md5 on my files is exactly the same as cosurgi's, so I'm guessing the patch didn't work.

You should be able to just rename the patch to .zip, extract it with any zip extraction utility, and then get Update.big and devstats.dat from the extracted files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, md5 are not completly different. Only Homeworld.big and HW_comp.vce are.

Now, tried to install on winxp and patched, still the same.

Extracting the patch after renaming to zip doesn't work.

:(

Edit 1: Just installed the whole thing again, patched and started the Game on a Windows Machine and it works perfectly. Version is 1.05B.

Is this probably the wrong patch?

Haven't tested it extensively yet, but it seems to run asolutely great! I did not have to rename any files, if you have problems maybe you should try downloading it from tpb as i did.

Sorry, md5 are not completly different. Only Homeworld.big and HW_comp.vce are.

Now, tried to install on winxp and patched, still the same.

Extracting the patch after renaming to zip doesn't work.

:(

Hmm..try a different zip extractor. On my mac it works with stuffit expander but not with the built in zip extractor. But anyway, it doesn't seem like those files are the problem, because I don't think the update touches Homeworld.big or HW_comp.vce. Which version of the game do you have.. there were several releases. I have the original boxed version and the sold out software one.

It may not be illegal for you to download the game if you already own it, but that's thin ice, I can't advise further. It's also thin ice with the rules on these boards.

OK, will look for a different Version. Perhaps can get one cheap and try it out first?!

Perhaps my disk isn't fine (but works on windows).

OK, will look for a different Version. Perhaps can get one cheap and try it out first?!

Perhaps my disk isn't fine (but works on windows).

Which version is it? I wish I could be more help!

Maybe the disc is damaged... speechsentence_comp.lut is not loaded until after a bunch of other stuff. Full pndrun output would be useful...

First, you are all a big help. I always astonished how fast one gets help by the community.

So, here is my output.

Code:
[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

memClearSetting=0x3c6ef361, memFreeSetting=0x3717bd79

42 files found in Update.big

14868 files found in Homeworld.big

Homeworld CRCs:

HomeworldSDL.big TOC = 0x0

Update.big TOC = 0x291050b6

Homeworld.big TOC = 0xcca97581

(not used) = 0x0

ALSA lib pcm.c:7234:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured

(null) (0): Fatal error - fileSizeGet: can't find file '/mnt/utmp/homeworld//SoundFX/speechsentence_comp.lut'.

./homeworld.sh: line 18:  2109 Segmentation fault      ./homeworld

cat: write error: Invalid argument

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

First, you are all a big help. I always astonished how fast one gets help by the community.

So, here is my output.

Code:
[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

Homeworld CRCs:

(not used) = 0x0

(null) (0): Fatal error - fileSizeGet: can't find file '/mnt/utmp/homeworld//SoundFX/speechsentence_comp.lut'.

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

Definitely looks like a broken file. I wonder why it works ok on windows. You'll need to find the files somewhere else :(

So, here is my output.

Code:

Homeworld CRCs:

(not used) = 0x0

hello to all! i'm new... so this is my first post... =)

Anyway if got the same error like rohmux, and homeworld also start normal in windows (crossover in OSX, but should be the same in windows) and in this windows-crossover-whatever-installation, the file "speechsentence_comp.lut" is not missing...

could it be possible that it depends what CD-version i use ? because i use the german version... i did install also the patch...

oh and it seems that someone did have the same error when he tried to install it on ubuntu, well this is what i found when i did a "SoundFX/speechsentence_comp.lut" guugle-search...

This is great keep up the good work. I am right now looking for my pants so I can look for my Homeworld CD in the cellar. YAY!

Thank a lot just played some tutorial and is awesome... :)

A tip for changing language of text displayed on the game ( i have a CD with italian version...but i think is a multi language inside ...not checked much but english and italian works)

Locate the Homeworld.cfg file (look inside appdata/homeworld/cfg/.homeworld/ dir) and open it with mousepad (or any other editor) scroll down until you find language 0 and change

that zero to 4 ( in my case for italian).

after some minutes playing singleplayer the game freezes?

have to soft reset it.

any ideas where to look to report a relevant logfile?

fyi tutorial parts plays fine

edit a different problem:

game crashed when trying to load a tutorial, tmp file out giving many "soundstreamupdate95: couldn't read file block"

also occasional "ALSA lib pcm.c7234:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured" message

after some minutes playing singleplayer the game freezes?

have to soft reset it.

any ideas where to look to report a relevant logfile?

fyi tutorial parts plays fine

edit a different problem:

game crashed when trying to load a tutorial, tmp file out giving many "soundstreamupdate95: couldn't read file block"

also occasional "ALSA lib pcm.c7234:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured" message

Hmm. The underrun message I am well aware of... I think that's why sound is sometimes crackly. The other message I haven't seen before. I wonder if the problem is audio then. I could try running with sound disabled to see if it still crashes.

However, if there are many of these messages it is most likely just a warning. Doesn't mean it isn't a part of the problem.

What surprises me is that from what you say it appears your crashes are quite consistently only a short time into playing. I am generally able to play for a while, normally whole missions, without any problems. Perhaps it is SD card related... I'm just guessing randomly at the moment though :/

Some friends and I have hack nights every month or so, and we're having one on Friday. Rule number one of hack nights is "You must bring a hack", and on Friday mine will be homeworld... so I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of it then. First step in this is to build a debug version, which failed last time I tried. Once I get that far I will hopefully be able to see where it falls over.

hi and thanks for all your hard work.

when i try to load the tutorial level to resume my training it seems to crash straight away. any ideas?

thanks

CJ

when i try to load the tutorial level to resume my training it seems to crash straight away. any ideas?

I have the same problem. It never works to load tutorial.

But also my tutorial always crashes on "combat" lesson. I tried only two times, each try took 10-15 minutes due to loading problem as I always have to start from 1st lesson.

Taking into account that my md5sums are correct, it's strange that for others tutorial doesn't crash. The only difference that I could imagine is that I am using different directory than others and I have two copies of each file:

Code:
/media/SanDisk32GB/pandora/appdata/homeworld/

Homeworld.big

HW_Music.wxd

HW_Comp.vce

Update.big

devstats.dat

homeworld.big

hw_comp.vce

hw_music.wxd

update.big

Just checked and if i start to play the tutorial from the begin all work good, but if i try to load a tutorial the game crash and go back to XFCE

OMFG, this it the best thing to play on a Pandora right now, bar none. Wow its nice looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back