My first contribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is odd, as it's rock solid on mine. Please post your pndrun outputs.

Have you both run the 1.05 patch before copying the files over? If you don't you will definitely have issues.

Yep, definitely 1.05. I'll see if there's anything in the pndrun output, but as I hard-rebooted the pandora, it might not be very enlightening.

Hmm, no pnd out files of any description after a reboot - does HF5 remove them at boot time?

D.

Ah crap, yeah of course there wouldn't be... they're in /tmp which is of course only temporary.

In that case I'm stumped. I'm unable to get mine to crash. Unless it's related to processor speed... try setting to 600MHz and OPP3. I just reflashed my pandora (hotfix 5) to check there wasn't something different in my setup, and it's still completely stable.

I can make a PXML that is compilant with the spec for you tomorrow if you like.

Just got my first crash! Was playing the second mission... so there is a problem somewhere. I've made my /var/tmp directory (which /tmp points to) into an actual directory rather than a symlink to /var/volatile/tmp - so now after I reset I can read the pnd output. To do this:

sudo rm /var/tmp

sudo mkdir /var/tmp

sudo chown <username>.<username> /var/tmp

May have to report this as a bug to the homeworldsdl bugs... but will do some investigation first!

EDIT: Doesn't crash if I skip the cut scene

EDIT2: But if I don't skip the cut scene it always crashes in exactly the same place. No useful output from pndrun. Going to see how it plays skipping that scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have just tried this out quickly using a wireless mouse through a USB hub, works great, all expected mouse functions are functioning fine! Only played through a few lessons on the tutorials so far....

I've upped the profile of this on PandoraPress.

If anyone would like to write a review/playing guide similar to previous weeks then please PM me and I'll update the post whilst it's fresh.

are those correct files?

Code:
amok:/media/SanDisk32GB/pandora/appdata/homeworld$ md5sum *

md5sum: cfg: Is a directory

cba33f30935e5bb79935de835d39965d  devstats.dat

d67272595f896ef36a7861a5801df481  homeworld.big

d1c1198cec7b74475cb297721ff5bd1e  hw_comp.vce

b5e235f9a80e792cea33324af512d163  hw_music.wxd

616a71c471dc2767ad1cf072616b5d14  update.big

why .pnd exits without any message or error, and game doesn't start?

EDIT: how do you actually start the game? Selecting it from menu does nothing, so I tried pnd_run, but also nothing.

EDIT2: maybe it's not working because I'm using SanDisk32GB directory instead of mmcblk0p1 ?

EDIT3: I added symlinks, with capital letters, each pointing to the lowercase named files:

Code:
Homeworld.big

HW_Music.wxd

HW_Comp.vce

Update.big

and the game started!

hmm... holding right shoulder to rotate camera with right nub isn't comfortable. Using left nub to zoom in/out is a waste, zooming could be Y/X or sth else... Best would be:

1) left nub - rotating camera

2) right nub - mouse

you have the code that you compiled. Did you compile it on pandora? If yes - can you share for download your whole directory that you were compiling? I could try to poke the source code to make those changes..

I was doing tutorial, and when there was fight lesson I focused camera on enemy ship. When that enemy ship was killed, homeworld hanged. I had to hard-reset pandora.

Hi all.

I've following done and still can't get it to work.

1. Installed game through wine

2. Patched Game to 1.05

3. Copied all needed files to my Pandora (didn't run from this state)

4. Renamed all Files to lowercase (still doesn't run from this state)

The pndrun_homeworld.out says that it can't find '/mnt/utmp/homeworld//SoundFX/speechsentence_comp.lut'

I'm on a FAT32 Partition, do i need ext3 or something else, i think FAT32 is case insensitive?

Thanks for help.

I installed and patched the files on my Windows pc, and copied the whole kit and caboodle into the Homeworld Appdata directory, seemed to run fine for me. I've only gotten a few lessons into the tutorial yet, didn't have time to play it much yesterday (simply wanted to test it with an actual mouse and see how I fared). Can't figure out how to quit the program without rebooting my Pandora, I select quit from the main menu, but it doesn't seem to shut down and I couldn't kill it with the Pandora button!

The pndrun_homeworld.out says that it can't find '/mnt/utmp/homeworld//SoundFX/speechsentence_comp.lut'

Is that file actually there? Is it missing? If it's there, try putting the folder names in lower cases as well.

damn, it's not a resource file, it must be inside the .pnd?

My version of Homeworld runs nicely (ext3, installed on windows7 first) and quitting also works. Only thing is that touch input induces an offset when using nubs at the same time. Would be nice if that could be fixed, I prefer touch input but on some occasions nub input is more suitable.

Damnit I searched all day yesterday and can't find my Homeworld disc .. does anyone want to do a Pandora demo video so we can see how it plays? I love star shooters like this, Homeworld was really a classic but I never got as deeply into it as I'd have liked, so if it can be put up on Pandora, I will play the hell out of it ..

Damnit I searched all day yesterday and can't find my Homeworld disc .. does anyone want to do a Pandora demo video so we can see how it plays? I love star shooters like this, Homeworld was really a classic but I never got as deeply into it as I'd have liked, so if it can be put up on Pandora, I will play the hell out of it ..

have yuo tried the video on the first post of this thread :)

I'm on a FAT32 Partition, do i need ext3 or something else, i think FAT32 is case insensitive?
this might be thre reason. I have both versions of each file: upper & lowercase (the other one is just a symlink). So homeworld reads some as uppercase, some as lowercase (because all lowercase didn't work). On fat32 indeed you can't have upper/lowercase, so homeworld cannot find some file. I think. This might be fixable in the source code.

are those correct files?

Code:
amok:/media/SanDisk32GB/pandora/appdata/homeworld$ md5sum *

md5sum: cfg: Is a directory

cba33f30935e5bb79935de835d39965d  devstats.dat

d67272595f896ef36a7861a5801df481  homeworld.big

d1c1198cec7b74475cb297721ff5bd1e  hw_comp.vce

b5e235f9a80e792cea33324af512d163  hw_music.wxd

616a71c471dc2767ad1cf072616b5d14  update.big

why .pnd exits without any message or error, and game doesn't start?

EDIT: how do you actually start the game? Selecting it from menu does nothing, so I tried pnd_run, but also nothing.

EDIT2: maybe it's not working because I'm using SanDisk32GB directory instead of mmcblk0p1 ?

EDIT3: I added symlinks, with capital letters, each pointing to the lowercase named files:

Code:
Homeworld.big

HW_Music.wxd

HW_Comp.vce

Update.big

and the game started!

Sounds like you are not using a Fat32 SD! It doesn't matter which drive you are using, it's not hardcoded to mcblk0p1 or anything else. But yes it needs the names to be as your symlinks. You could have just renamed the files though.

hmm... holding right shoulder to rotate camera with right nub isn't comfortable. Using left nub to zoom in/out is a waste, zooming could be Y/X or sth else... Best would be:

1) left nub - rotating camera

2) right nub - mouse

you have the code that you compiled. Did you compile it on pandora? If yes - can you share for download your whole directory that you were compiling? I could try to poke the source code to make those changes..

Try swapping your nubs before you start the game. I detect which nub you normally use for mouse and assign the other to be mouse scroll. The control scheme you suggest is not easily achievable... it would require quite a lot of hacking. Remember we are emulating a mouse here - left click, right click, scroll wheel and X & Y movement. The other possible approach might be to set up the nubs as a gamepad somehow.. not sure how to do this or what homeworld does with gamepads. I can't give you the source, as the license is quite restrictive - you must join the relic developers network, then request SVN access using your real name, I am only allowed to distribute binaries, and I'm not even sure I'm allowed to distribute patches for what I've already done.

I was doing tutorial, and when there was fight lesson I focused camera on enemy ship. When that enemy ship was killed, homeworld hanged. I had to hard-reset pandora.

I will give this a try some time and see if I can get it to do the same. I managed to play through the whole tutorial without a crash. My next step is to build a debug version so I can see where exactly the game is falling over... I also have some other ideas.

Hi all.

I've following done and still can't get it to work.

1. Installed game through wine

2. Patched Game to 1.05

3. Copied all needed files to my Pandora (didn't run from this state)

Thanks for help.

That is weird... yep Fat32 doesn't care about case, and you don't need ext3 or anything, fat should be fine. Can you run md5sum on your appdata/homeworld directory (see cosurgi's post a bit further up this page) to check the files are patched properly? Also, can you post the whole PND run output. Also, reboot your pandora before you try next time.

I installed and patched the files on my Windows pc, and copied the whole kit and caboodle into the Homeworld Appdata directory, seemed to run fine for me. I've only gotten a few lessons into the tutorial yet, didn't have time to play it much yesterday (simply wanted to test it with an actual mouse and see how I fared). Can't figure out how to quit the program without rebooting my Pandora, I select quit from the main menu, but it doesn't seem to shut down and I couldn't kill it with the Pandora button!

Hmmm... this happened to me when I was fiddling with trying to get the touch screen to work... I thought it was caused by my touchscreen code but maybe it was something else. Are you using the touchscreen and/or an external mouse (I think you said you were a few posts up)?

Is that file actually there? Is it missing? If it's there, try putting the folder names in lower cases as well.

damn, it's not a resource file, it must be inside the .pnd?

My version of Homeworld runs nicely (ext3, installed on windows7 first) and quitting also works. Only thing is that touch input induces an offset when using nubs at the same time. Would be nice if that could be fixed, I prefer touch input but on some occasions nub input is more suitable.

That file is not from the pnd, nor is it a resource file. It is meant to be inside one of the resources.. the filename looks mangled though, it is odd.

I am going to have a go at fixing touch input, maybe on Sunday or so. I did already have a go, and I think it will probably work after spending a bit more time. Trouble is I've gotten really far behind on my real life work by doing homeworld this week, and have to catch up on that before I can do more homeworld.

Try the video from the second page of this topic - also linked on pandorapress. The one on the first page is my first test and you can't really see what's going on. It was like 4am, I was just excited that it was finally working!

Even in the second video I am doing some things wrong. I forgot that you dont have to actually click on an enemy ship to attack, you can just hold control and draw a box around them. I also forgot that you don't need to click the little arrows in the build manager, you can just click on the right line twice and it works. So the controls look more fiddly in that video than in real life. Also, that level is not really very exciting. Maybe someone can post a more interesting video?

Thanks for all the feedback and support everyone! :)

this might be thre reason. I have both versions of each file: upper & lowercase (the other one is just a symlink). So homeworld reads some as uppercase, some as lowercase (because all lowercase didn't work). On fat32 indeed you can't have upper/lowercase, so homeworld cannot find some file. I think. This might be fixable in the source code.

Homeworld just needs all files to be correctly cased so that they have the right names - the same as with any file! On FAT32 it doesn't matter, on case sensitive file systems they must have the correct names and case does matter, but homeworld does not need both, in fact your symlinks are as the names should be. I doubt this is a bug in the source... see my post above!

Homeworld just needs all files to be correctly cased so that they have the right names - the same as with any file! On FAT32 it doesn't matter, on case sensitive file systems they must have the correct names and case does matter, but homeworld does not need both, in fact your symlinks are as the names should be. I doubt this is a bug in the source... see my post above!

I had to patch my homeworld install to version 1.05 for it to work and change all the files to lowercase... if that was missed.

Hmm... that's bizarre. I'll have to investigate. Was that on ext? It definitely shouldn't matter on FAT. And it works fine with ext4 on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back