Beta Mupen64Plus

I just need to check, assuming I understand correctly. So none of you have managed to beat Gohma without it freezing afterward? I've got my Pandora overclocked to 800MHz, and it nearly froze when the boss when I first beat the boss but since then it ran smooth and I'm continuing on with my save.

The only real issue with the game I've had is in the equipment screen. To the left of what I've got equipped is clearly not right, changing in crap each time I open the menu.

So just supposing I got this right, I'm probably the only Pandora owner who got so far as obtaining the Ocarina then. Bit of slowdown outside the village, and nearly froze at the owl.

Korlithiel said:
I just need to check, assuming I understand correctly. So none of you have managed to beat Gohma without it freezing afterward? I've got my Pandora overclocked to 800MHz, and it nearly froze when the boss when I first beat the boss but since then it ran smooth and I'm continuing on with my save.

The only real issue with the game I've had is in the equipment screen. To the left of what I've got equipped is clearly not right, changing in crap each time I open the menu.

So just supposing I got this right, I'm probably the only Pandora owner who got so far as obtaining the Ocarina then. Bit of slowdown outside the village, and nearly froze at the owl.
no, _Sterling has also played past this stage, we are just having trouble finding out why and the different conditions. So far the latest mupen64 build with hotfix 5 and various overclocks does not seem to make it past that one spot post gohma at the same point and has been repeated by numerous people.

what hotfix are/were you using as you played through this? i havent had any equipment problems yet but that could be because i haven't reached a stage for this to happen.

if the problem is caused with a problem between hotfix 4 and hotfix 5 that would really be a good heads up in working out what things might be going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running hotfix 5, installed the community codec pack (SP?), and will need to check whatever settings I ran the game on.
Plug-ins:
gles2n64 v0.0.4f
notaz's OSS audio r2
PPSP Input 2
hacktarux/Azimar hle rsp plugin

I set my directory for roms, quite and restarted so the settings would save. Feel free to ask for any other information (I'm sick, so specifics in where it can be found would be useful).

Which version of LOZ:OOT are you using?

Can you do a md5 on that file and post it here please?
You can use GtkHash for that...

I've no clue on how to do md5 checks, been meaning to look into it. GtkHash? I'll try to look it up later when I'm feeling more energetic. Should be the USA version of the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, being sick I feel like I'm not contributing well and apologize.

I think there is a workaround for the bug.
The freeze seem not to happen when running Mupen in Windowed mode.

1. Switch GUI to XFCE4 (don't know if thats needed)
2. Start Mupen64Plus
3. Select Options -> Graphics Settings
An Editor opens

Now change:

window fullscreen=1 -> 0
window width=800 -> 600
window height=480 -> 360

4. Save and start LOZ:OOT, it run an bit slower now in its window but still playable
5. Load your last save game and boldly go and defeat that spider boss
6. The Triforce does not freeze
7. Save your game after the cutscene
8. End Mupen, change back to minimenu
9. Start Mupen again and restore your previous window settings (see 3.)
10. enjoy

Can someone please verify that procedure?

If it turns out I really believe its driver related as the only difference is windowed mode to fullscreen.

Just wanted to state, that it's pretty fun to play zelda, thanks BZFrank B) Am currently inside of the Deku Tree, not too much time to play here, but it's still nice to see the n64 perform on the pandora.

Thanks Schnatterplatsch,

As a side note - I managed to fix the bad textures in LOZ:OOT (e.g. when entering the castle, in some shops & equipment screen) and speeded up the driver quite a bit by changing DepthBuffer management in 'gles2n64 0.0.4 - BZF17032011'. The owl does not slow it down anymore (at least not too much) and its feels faster now in the large outside areas. There is still a minor gfx bug - the sun appears not as a single light source but four times in the sky but I'll work on that.

Hi

Mupen 64 is very nice but i have problem with mario tennis 64. This game run but freeze

thanks for your work

Mupen64 is great. Zelda is perfectly smooth in the dungeons (at least in the deku tree), and it's very impressive to be able to actually play Ocarina of Time on the go in any form of playable state. Majora's mask crashes (hard freeze) as I start the game if I try to overclock with it at all, but hey, you can't have everything can you?

When you start looking into blending modes, could you also consider the bug which causes the strange "black shadow under your craft" bug in Pilotwings 64? I'm assuming it's a blending mode problem

Thanks for all the work on Mupen - it's looking great

bzfrank said:
Thanks Schnatterplatsch,

As a side note - I managed to fix the bad textures in LOZ:OOT (e.g. when entering the castle, in some shops & equipment screen) and speeded up the driver quite a bit by changing DepthBuffer management in 'gles2n64 0.0.4 - BZF17032011'. The owl does not slow it down anymore (at least not too much) and its feels faster now in the large outside areas. There is still a minor gfx bug - the sun appears not as a single light source but four times in the sky but I'll work on that.
Thank you for your work, it's great that you are pushing things forward again. I don't know how many hours I wasted with N64 so it's great to play some of theses games in a portable form!

Hey guys, sorry for the extended hiatus. I had decided to focus on other things until my retail pandora arrived with working nubs however thats taking a bit longer than i expected....

@bzfrank Please provide me with the source to your changes so i can add them to the SVN. I can also give you write access if you would like. Once i merge the changes I will make a new release which has per game configuration.

I don't think faster CRC is a major issue, however a much better optimisation is to not do a full CRC of the texture. In my working copy i only do 8 rows of the texture and I haven't seen it fail.

ADVENTUS!!!

Holy shit, you're alive! It's just that you're waiting for you replacement? It's still not there? There was a thread on the official boards that tried to push Craig to send you one but it seems he forgot about it. Guess I'll do some gravediggin tomorrow. :D

Adventus said:
Hey guys, sorry for the extended hiatus. I had decided to focus on other things until my retail pandora arrived with working nubs however thats taking a bit longer than i expected....

@bzfrank Please provide me with the source to your changes so i can add them to the SVN. I can also give you write access if you would like. Once i merge the changes I will make a new release which has per game configuration.

I don't think faster CRC is a major issue, however a much better optimisation is to not do a full CRC of the texture. In my working copy i only do 8 rows of the texture and I haven't seen it fail.

Glad to see you back Adventus! I think Craig mentioned that he didn't know you were having trouble with your Pandora, perhaps try dropping him a line, maybe Twitter?

bzfrank said:
I think there is a workaround for the bug.
The freeze seem not to happen when running Mupen in Windowed mode.

1. Switch GUI to XFCE4 (don't know if thats needed)
2. Start Mupen64Plus
3. Select Options -> Graphics Settings
An Editor opens

Now change:

window fullscreen=1 -> 0
window width=800 -> 600
window height=480 -> 360

4. Save and start LOZ:OOT, it run an bit slower now in its window but still playable
5. Load your last save game and boldly go and defeat that spider boss
6. The Triforce does not freeze
7. Save your game after the cutscene
8. End Mupen, change back to minimenu
9. Start Mupen again and restore your previous window settings (see 3.)
10. enjoy

Can someone please verify that procedure?

If it turns out I really believe its driver related as the only difference is windowed mode to fullscreen.
alas it still crashed for me, sadly. maybe my unit has a lower overclock. i set it to 750, just in case 800 maxed it out but it still froze up.

Adventus said:

Welcome back :D

Also, thanks for bzfrank for stepping in and also working on optimizations :D

Things are looking good... PCSX-ReARMed is fantastic already, Mupen getting some extra polish will be awesome as well :D

Last edited:
Welcome back Adventus. :)

PokeParadox said:
I followed up on my earlier suggestion of bundling Mupen with picklelauncher.. and made a tiny bit of progress... nothing that actually worked though... but it should be doable... I don't think I can get it working I get muddled with all the scripts...
Bless you for trying.

Gruso said:
Welcome back Adventus. :)

PokeParadox said:
I followed up on my earlier suggestion of bundling Mupen with picklelauncher.. and made a tiny bit of progress... nothing that actually worked though... but it should be doable... I don't think I can get it working I get muddled with all the scripts...
Bless you for trying.
I also welcome you back Adventus!

And Gruso I'm doing more than try... it seems we are almost there! The filenames are getting mangled... if I rename Super Mario 64 (U) [!].z64 to mario64.z64 It works!

So I'm hoping we can get around this somehow...

PokeParadox said:
And Gruso I'm doing more than try... it seems we are almost there! The filenames are getting mangled... if I rename Super Mario 64 (U) [!].z64 to mario64.z64 It works!

What's it that it doesn't like?
The [!] or are you missing some " " maybe?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
PokeParadox said:

What's it that it doesn't like?
The [!] or are you missing some " " maybe?

its the launcher removing those chars

Back