Beta Mupen64Plus

Adventus said:
Oh, because of the nubs: will there be an Emulator Menu-Setting for Nub-sensitivity/ general Button mapping?
Probably, At the moment I'm tossing up whether we port blight input or improve ppsp_input. I'm leaning towards ppsp_input.... just so i can make modifications easily.

I remember that earlier Jay commented that ppsp_input should not be used if at all possible, stating that it was incredibly inefficient and we should get something better working as soon as possible. My question is, doesn't blight support a lot of extra things that would be useful? Like multiple controllers and USB gamepads?

EDIT: You can have a field day with graphical glitches with Kirby 64. Also, that game runs pretty much fullspeed with fs 2 @800MHz in game, but the menus are all slow as hell. I would have expected the opposite in speed from any emulated game.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayman 2 has many graphical glitches. The characters are not shown properly and the environment seems to be messed up.
But it is fullspeed @ 500 mhz with sound stuttering.

I think there is more games that dont run that do (at least visually playable) so i think there is more work to do with the glitch graphical side and sound rather than getting the speed up at present (of course it will help both aspects but the games that load and arent glitchy are at least playable at 800mhz without sound).
So to me having a faster glitchy game isn't important at this time! Fantastic work btw with this and PSX4Pandora gives me 2 great reasons to show my Pandora off today :)

FIFIA 99 only gets into menu, if you select the player it drops yout out of the emu.
Same for Cuising World.

Hi guys. Here's a strange thing. I downloaded the PND from the app store yesterday and was happily playing away on Mario Kart and Road Rash. I then tried Micro Machines, which crashed back to MiniMenu. Then I tried F-Zero which worked very well, a bit glitchy graphics wise but fery fast.

I turned my Pandora off last night, swithed it on this morning and now if I try and run Mupen from either MiniMenu or XFCE it crashes and goes straight back to menu/desktop :(

And I agree that the nub is just a tadd too sensitive. It makes driving Mario Kart and F-Zero feel more like Daytona on the Dreamcast. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing if the tracks and AI were designed with that in mind!

For anyone interested... I'm gonna have a Youtube video of me playing mario64 and getting the second star in a second...

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0AqMy2FvZQ

If anyone knows how to embed that go ahead...

jaycee900 said:
I think there is more games that dont run that do (at least visually playable) so i think there is more work to do with the glitch graphical side and sound rather than getting the speed up at present (of course it will help both aspects but the games that load and arent glitchy are at least playable at 800mhz without sound).
So to me having a faster glitchy game isn't important at this time! Fantastic work btw with this and PSX4Pandora gives me 2 great reasons to show my Pandora off today :)

I think that the first thing we need to fix is the analog nub sensitivity. It is impossible to use the cannons in Mario because of it. T_T Just having the ability to choose our own controls would be a blessing, because, while this setup is not bad, I thought the C-stick was stupid on the Gamecube, and I think it's stupid on the Pandora as well. I want O and P as A and B so that my C buttons can be the 4 game buttons.

-God Ginrai

Yeah button config is really needed. Turok is impossible with current controls.

Ari64 said:
Conker BFD seems to page in the executable on demand from a compressed filesystem. It uncompresses one 4K page at a time. (Yes, the rom is 64MB, and they compressed it.)

Original mupen deals with it by executing the delay slot in the interpreter if there is a branch in the last instruction of a 4K page. Due to differences in register caching, I don't quite have the right state set up to do that, at least not using the existing interpreter core.

Not sure what Daedalus does, but reportedly can not run this game

...DaedalusX64 seems to dump the entire cache if something is invalidated. This would be very inefficient given how often Conker swaps pages.

I'm not sure how you could do it efficiently though, except to reverse-engineer the compression and HLE it.

Was thinking about this and thought it would potentially could be easier to create an uncompressed rom to bypass the need to decompress on the fly. And then while browsing current N64 video plugins (did not realise Rice video was still being developed...) I came across some relevant info:

Apparently Conkers (and some other Rare titles) simply use gzip but without headers, and as it turns out there is an open source tool that can apparently decompress Conkers called GeDecompress.

Downloadable here: http://www.rarewitchproject.com/media/misc/gedecompress.zip (source included)

Also download and info here: http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/Compressor/Decompressor_for_Rareware_Games (Looks like the tool was aimed at Rom hacking & translation)

All just for interest at the moment obviously, as glN64 does not have Conker uCodes... I am sure Adventus had good reason for going with glN64 (portability? less messy code?) - although it appears the current version of Rice Video (now called 1964Video it seems) can support Conkers, OpenGL, is opensource and is being developed. (Might be windows only at the moment though) Looks like they have backported some of the fixes made by the Mupen64 team in the linux version of the plugin too:

Dev thread - http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=49671
Source - http://code.google.com/p/emu-1964/ - has link to video plugin only source

I've noticed a graphical glitch... in zelda oot the spiderwebs in the first dungeon are just solid white things instead of having a texture.

mcobit said:
Rayman 2 has many graphical glitches. The characters are not shown properly and the environment seems to be messed up.
But it is fullspeed @ 500 mhz with sound stuttering.
Hopfully that can be fixed, but fullspeed is very good :)

Does changing the resolution effect the speed? I can't seem to tell a difference. I think the framebuffer=1 helped.

HackModford said:
Does changing the resolution effect the speed? I can't seem to tell a difference. I think the framebuffer=1 helped.

Setting the frameskip to 2 (which I think is actually a frame skip of 1) helps.

evilwallpaper said:
does anyone elses nubs stop working when they launch Mupen64plus R1 ?

Yea, Mine do as well. I'm pretty sure that's because they get set to Joystick mode when Mupen is launched. It would be nice if it was possible to make it do that after the game is launched, instead.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
evilwallpaper said:
does anyone elses nubs stop working when they launch Mupen64plus R1 ?

Yea, Mine do as well. I'm pretty sure that's because they get set to Joystick mode when Mupen is launched. It would be nice if it was possible to make it do that after the game is launched, instead.

-God Ginrai
+1

anyone get gauntlet legends working?

silver said:
Apparently Conkers (and some other Rare titles) simply use gzip but without headers, and as it turns out there is an open source tool that can apparently decompress Conkers called GeDecompress.

Interesting. It might not be too hard to HLE the data compression then.

Unfortunately Conker will need a lot more than that to get it working. Besides the custom microcode, it's got a bunch of 64-bit code in it which I probably got wrong in the dynarec. It also abuses delay slots like the following:

Code:
  150ab980: LW r8,r29+1d8
  150ab984: JR r8
  150ab988: LUI r8,800e0000
Technically valid, but I had to add a temporary register to hold the original value in r8. Of all the games I've tested, Conker BFD is the only one I've ever seen that does crap like this.

My nubs also stop working.

Also If I play zelda OOT long enough the emulators seems to crash/hang?

MDave said:
Out of curiosity (and mostly off-topic), did they code the games in C or assembly?
Mostly they seem to have been written in C, or at least follow the C ABI. That code example from Conker above definitely does not follow the C calling convention though. It could have been written in assembler or possibly compiled from some other high-level language.

Back