Mupen64Plus (Nintendo 64) Pyra -W.I.P

Some graphics artifacts - Due to gl4es not liking fog that has to be disabled for now, some games will have funky textures. Probably a good program to test gl4es rendering.
Would fog work if it was able to use GLES2 directly?

The fog issue was fixed by ptitseb :)
Post automatically merged:

My launcher can be used for a GUI (it was used with the pandora version in the past). Id be willing to looking into any issues or any reasonable changes to make it better if its something you want to consider.

yeah we could do that :) need it to be sdl2 if it’s not. M64py would be more inline with Mupen’s pipeline though *shrug*

I hope the fog isn't back to the levels it was on the real console. I enjoyed playing f-zero X on my pandora without all that fog obscuring the middle distance. Hopefully the reinstated fog on the Pyra makes it look much the same as it did on my Pandora, although I can't say I personally noticed any fog there at all really.

The fog issue was fixed by ptitseb :)
Post automatically merged:

yeah we could do that :) need it to be sdl2 if it’s not. M64py would be more inline with Mupen’s pipeline though *shrug*
It's SDL1.2 and suffer from the fullscreen bug. I have a build on my Pyra and it's not usable for now.

gl4es isn't actually in the image yet. @aTc will be able to answer for that :p

it's on the repo now though:
apt update; apt install libgl-gl4es-pyra

it installs a wrapper called "gl4es" in /usr/bin/ , so everything defaults to the normal GL libs, and uses gl4es if you put gl4es in front of it. ( example : "gl4es glxgears" )

This is cool, but what dos this means for someone whit a quite rudimentary technical and English knowledge? Just apt install and everything runs faster?

No, I'd expect it means that dbps you install can be smaller, provided they don't need a different version of gl4es. Although going forward this does allow compatibility to improve in older releases that use this installed lib as it gets upgraded in the future.

Reactions: rSl
So now someone could put something in a dbp that tells the program to use gl4es and then this will runs whit hardware speed up (acellation?? I can’t remember how this correct word was) ??

Well, it's not really acceleration as I understand it. Unless software also has a software rendering method that this new GL path replaces, it could be considered so. But in most cases more recently, software only has the GL code path, which needs gl4es to interpret.

Edit: Well, Wally calls it acceleration on the previous page, so what do I know?

Last edited:
So is this the 3D Driver whe needed the whole time but because it was more important that the parts of the Pyra Software that was necessary for Running Units (Charging, Hardware Drivers for Keyboard, Display, Wifi, etc) are developed first dint got??

The pyra has a open gles driver (opengl for mobile devices). The gles script from from atc takes the opengl commands from the emulator and translates it to its matching open gles commands. I assume it uses ptitsebs driver for it. So it can uses the GPU and accelerate all graphic related commands with it. This is a very big speed boost.

*Edit:* Maybe I am wrong. Does mupen64 support native gles now?

PS: It is with not whit. Whit monday is Pfingstmontag ;). I am looking forward to see your video Matze. I am thinking about upgrading from my old pandora to a pyra, but I am waiting to see more videos before doing it. Especially I want to know, if the ducking nubs are working reliably this time.

Ok so in order to have Hardware Graphics, I need to make a script?
When are these included in the software so every noob can have hardware graphics?
I know maybe I’m not the right person for such an early Pyra, my abstinence of knowledge on these whole Linux Pyra stuff is also something I’m ashamed for

Ok a last dry: if Wally puts the N64 Emulator DBP on the Repo Site, from Pyra-Handheld.com , whit the GLES Script, and the Pickle launcher, and fixed Nub Support, are I then able to make a Video where I show N64 Games whit Hardware Graphics ?

Ok so just as noob friendly as : „Trow the DBP File on the SD card, and just click on it to run? „
And the GL4ES I just installed via Terminal whit the comand I red on this Thread?

Type this into a terminal:

apt update; apt install libgl-gl4es-pyra

If you are lucky, the emulator is already checking if the gl4es is present and will use it automaticly.

German: Hey Matze, die Emulatoren benutzen Computer GPU Befehle. Die Pyra hat eine Handy GPU. Darum brauchen die einen "Wrapper", damit die Computer Befehle in Handybefehle für die GPU übersetzt werden. Der heißt gl4es und kann mit dem Befehl oben installiert werden. Einfach in ein Terminal eingeben. Wenn du Glück hast, suchen die Emulatoren automatisch nach dem Wrapper und nutzen ihn damit auch automatisch. Falls du Pech hast, musst auf eine neue DBP Datei warten, die den Wrapper automatisch nutzt.

Thanks for the answer, I allready installed the GLES Driver today (although I first put sudo apt update (enter „Passwort „ - > enter) let it run and then sudo apt install .... (GL4ES ) (enter „Passwort“ -> enter .. )
I also try’s the Code first whit ; between, but it ditnt work..

Reactions: rSl
Back