mplayer on fbdev crashing...

patrick295767

Hello,

I have tried to play movies without the "x11" layer, i.e. from the console (using mplayer).

Visibly it crashes the whole machine. Must remove battery. Few frames come up though before deadly hanging.

My kernel is recent. Have thou experienced similar results?

Rgds from Pan

NEVER remove the battery if the system crashes!

Just hold the Pandorabutton and flick the powerswitch to reset.

Are you using mplayer from the codec pack? You're better off using the one from here or taking the one out of the smplayer2 or PanPlayer PNDs. With these, you can use the "-vo omapfb" option.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEVER remove the battery if the system crashes!

Just hold the Pandorabutton and flick the powerswitch to reset.
oh man, I did it lot of times. 

"Pandorabutton" 

which one you mean, below CTRL? and how long?

Are you using mplayer from the codec pack? You're better off using the one from here or taking the one out of the smplayer2 or PanPlayer PNDs. With these, you can use the "-vo omapfb" option.

the frame buffer has nothing to do with x11. smplayer2 is x11 

you know what is the console?

I give you the link to it if maybe it might be more specific 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_framebuffer

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say use smplayer - I said take the mplayer binary *from* the smplayer pnd, and use that binary with "-vo omapfb" (the output driver for the OMAP Frame Buffer) :)

You hold the Pandorabutton (below ctrl) and flip the powerswitch while you hold it.

Hi,

Normally on debian, you have to compile the omapfb. 

So then you can run it using:

mplayer -ao alsa -vo omapfb webcam.avi

mplayer -nosound -vo omapfb:fb_overlay_only:dbl_buffer webcam.avi

another alternative is to use:

mplayer -vo fbdev2  -ao null -vf pp   webcam.avi

which does not need any omapfb to be loaded with insmod or modprobe.

Does this alternative works for you ? (we talk of playing video without X11 but on pure console)

sorry to interupt you guys. I recently got my pandora (love it!) but now i got a problem with my mplayer. as i didn't know where to put the folder for my music, i just made a new folder in "desktop". is there a way to get all the music directly into mplayer? any mplayer subfolders or something? thanks in advance.

Back