Movies Thread

kingoddball said:
Just watched most of 2012.. It was piss! I went to sleep rather than watch it all.
Saw it on a plane. Really bad film, worst I've seen in a while.

I enjoyed Kick-Ass though, pretty good film. Anyone else seen it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Daddy was a great character, Nick Cage was good for once. Awesome fight scene with him in the warehouse :D.

klikklak said:
@Jourdy288 sorry for late reply. New Wargames? Wow, I hadn't heard of that, I'll take a look if I can find it.

Yeah, the Dead Code.

Seen a bunch of films recently, non of which have really been worth mentioning (equilibrium, supernova, outlander and a bunch of other things I've forgotten the name of).. well.. appart from Men In Black (pwnz :p ).

However, I have just watch Edward Scissorhands for the first time in aaaaaages. I used to love watching it when I was younger and forgot what an awesome film it was. I also don't think I realised it was so sad before now :(

I'd cry if I was a girl or much more emo :( :(

I saw Dear Frankie... That was a pretty wow film. Also saw My Sisters Keeper and the recent version of Robin Hood, both rather good.

I watched Alice in Wonderland.

I was pretty pleasantly surprised, because I heard it was shite. It was actually quite good.

Alice in Wonderland wasn't bad, but the inevitable comparison with Avatar made it look mediocre. I wish that there'd be the Shinya Tsukamoto, Dario Argento or John Carpenter of 3D already. :)

Been having a british crime weekend. So far, I've watched Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Rock N Rolla, The Bank Job and Layer Cake. I might watch Snatch later, but I saw that one pretty recently.

On the cards for later tonight are Law Abiding Citizen and How to Train Your Dragon ;)

Just saw Inception. Amazing film, the best I've seen in a while. The cast was very good, and the plot was pretty easy to follow (despite the reviews saying otherwise).

Just watched the Masters of the Universe movie for the first time in like.. a decade. I had to import the DVD from the Netherlands as it's out of print everywhere else. Still awesome ;) Ok, He-man's acting sucks, but he's probably the least shown actor in the movie. Everyone else is cool, and it has a young Courteney Cox in it!

By far the best thing of the whole film though is the soundtrack. There is, more or less, music constantly going throughout the film, and it's all awesome. I did actually get the OST a few years ago, which I've kept listening to since and love it. There's no 80's style cheesey pop, it's all classic and very nicely done.

In short, good film with an even better soundtrack B)

quote said:
Just saw Inception. Amazing film, the best I've seen in a while. The cast was very good, and the plot was pretty easy to follow (despite the reviews saying otherwise).

The reviewers are obviously not a fan of recursion :p .

I saw District 9. Simple awesome, Peter Jacksons hard scifi set outside the US for a nice change, in South Africa.

I think I'll go see inception when it opens here on the 23rd.

Has anyone seen The Last Air Bender? Is it as bad as I've heard. Surprising, usually M. Night's films are awsome. Me and my wife want to go see it but when I hear things like, "if you like the series, don't see this movie" it makes me second guess myself. :huh:

So far 2010 has been a pretty good year for horror films and judging from the remaining release schedule for the year, it looks like it may be one of the best horror film years in recent memory. Then again we won’t be able to bestow 2010 with that decision for another few months, but hey… we can still hope right?

What to Watch For: Tucker and Dale vs Evil – I have seen this film and I highly recommend it to everyone. Now it is much more of a comedy than a horror movie, but the ridiculous slapstick-esque comedy will entertain you for sure. Definitely check this out when it drops. (I will write about this soon)

Also on the radar… Predators, Saw VII, Mother’s Day, and many many others.

PREDATORS - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

I watched Predators last week. It's a pretty predictable sequel - closer to the first movie than the second, but still enjoyable.

However, don't believe the trailers - what you see there is NOT exactly what you get...

I did enjoy it, but there are some gaping plot holes and it's a real shame you don't get more time with the main characters before they start getting bumped off - this leads to a criminal waste of acting talent that is on offer. The film could definitely do with being longer (very rarely do I say that!), so that there is more character development/interaction, as they all have what would appear to be interesting stories to tell - sadly, they don't really get told. There's also at least two awesome fight scenes that could do with being extended - one including two Predators facing off.

Unusually for a third film , the music remains from the first two films and that really adds to the feeling that this is both a Predator film and a sequel. There are few new advances on the Predator mythology or their weaponry, but what there is doesn't tie in particularly well with Predator novels that I've read. The lack of actual Predators is also apparent, given the advertising campaign that shows one of the characters being dotted with the laser sights of numerous Predators.

Overall a very watchable movie, especially if you're a fan of the original Predator, and a worthwhile sequel, that just lacks a longer cut.

Back