Mould Creation Time

Hope they Get Well soldered, because i believe they might be the first thing to fail, due to the expected mechanical forces aplied to them, i see som extra pads, are those to give more mechanical joints?

DroneB Dev said:
Hope they Get Well soldered, because i believe they might be the first thing to fail, due to the expected mechanical forces aplied to them, i see som extra pads, are those to give more mechanical joints?
true. i have had serveral other devices that just fell apart on some buttons. the n95 gotta be the top. the volume buttons fell apart the 5th day i used it.
Soldering is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Phawx said:
Craig, When you are ready to talk more, these are questions for the future.

1.) What yield % are you looking for?

2.) By more testing, does that mean Mweston would have to redesign the PCB slightly? Or is there another course of action that needs to be taken?

Again, these are just questions that could be answered later after talking with Micheal.

Yield of what?

No, the PCB is solid, it's more to do with judging that the factory have got the QC right.

That is the yield. The percentage of units that go from start to finish and are usable, against the total number attempted. It is a valid question because, as MWeston had described the process months ago, MWeston said that at each stage as the production runs increased, he would be looking for a failure rate (which is 100%-yield). The failures could be due to the assembly process, or due to individual components.

I'll have to search for that post, it gave a pretty good layout of what he would be looking for.

EDIT:
This post:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45348-why-all-the-mysteries-and-no-clear-updates/page__p__670836__hl__burn-in__fromsearch__1&#entry670836

yes, but i dont see any th mounting for them, that would have be the best.

ever tried to unmount the PS1 Nubs out of their PCB? thats NUTS, i ended up cracking the PCB and almost cracked the dice.

So since we are on the fast track to completion, any word about the cases in China? Seems like they're taking their sweet time. ;)

Great work so far, everyone! Kudos

emil10001 said:
craigix said:
Phawx said:
Craig, When you are ready to talk more, these are questions for the future.

1.) What yield % are you looking for?

2.) By more testing, does that mean Mweston would have to redesign the PCB slightly? Or is there another course of action that needs to be taken?

Again, these are just questions that could be answered later after talking with Micheal.

Yield of what?

No, the PCB is solid, it's more to do with judging that the factory have got the QC right.

That is the yield. The percentage of units that go from start to finish and are usable, against the total number attempted. It is a valid question because, as MWeston had described the process months ago, MWeston said that at each stage as the production runs increased, he would be looking for a failure rate (which is 100%-yield). The failures could be due to the assembly process, or due to individual components.

I'll have to search for that post, it gave a pretty good layout of what he would be looking for.

EDIT:
This post:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/45348-why-all-the-mysteries-and-no-clear-updates/page__p__670836__hl__burn-in__fromsearch__1&#entry670836

Well it was not that clear, yield can refer to several things, as I'm sure you know, which is why I asked.

We would expect something like 99%, that's what they are getting on the beagles I believe.

craigix said:
Well it was not that clear, yield can refer to several things, as I'm sure you know, which is why I asked.

We would expect something like 99%, that's what they are getting on the beagles I believe.
I got a beagleboard with a faulty USB port. I'm probably going to have to RMA it, it's been crashing at least once a day. The CPU still works, but the USB goes dead.

I don't know what the overall failure rate is, but I do know that I am not the only one with this problem.

Ari64 said:
craigix said:

I got a beagleboard with a faulty USB port. I'm probably going to have to RMA it, it's been crashing at least once a day. The CPU still works, but the USB goes dead.

I don't know what the overall failure rate is, but I do know that I am not the only one with this problem.

Maybe 99% of every Beagleboard works? ;)

Monk said:
I doubt it. It's a issue with noise on the 1.8V rails which power the USB. If a lot of data is transferred over the USB (such as to a hard disk or flash drive) it can cause the USB controller to fail or spontaneously reset.

I wonder how MWeston designed this part of the Pandora.

Ari64 said:
Monk said:
I doubt it. It's a issue with noise on the 1.8V rails which power the USB. If a lot of data is transferred over the USB (such as to a hard disk or flash drive) it can cause the USB controller to fail or spontaneously reset.

oooh, that might explain why a few USB drives/devices I have fail with Linux when I transfer large files but works fine for small ones copied one-by-one, and also works fine with windows.
I'll try daisy chaining a couple of USB hubs to somewhat increase latency and see if it helps, might be too little tho.

sorry, its getting off topic.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
Ari64 said:
Monk said:

oooh, that might explain why a few USB drives/devices I have fail with Linux when I transfer large files but works fine for small ones copied one-by-one, and also works fine with windows.
I'll try daisy chaining a couple of USB hubs to somewhat increase latency and see if it helps, might be too little tho.

You run Windows on your beagleboard? :blink:

Neko said:
Stephane Hockenhull said:
Ari64 said:
Monk said:

You run Windows on your beagleboard? :blink:
i believe he was talking bout a common x86 machine.

Ari64 said:
Monk said:

We haven't seen this problem on Pandora but that is likely due to the small sample of boards we have. We've had some bad soldering issues on rev2 though, but that would just mean good USB or a dead port. I have let gigs and gigs of data transfer from one USB drive to another USB drive on a rev3 board and it wouldn't fail. Regardless of how 'lucky' I feel we are with Pandora, I still implemented the fix that TI recommended to separate the 1.8V supply to the USB PHY from the TPS65950's 1.8V supply to prevent any future problems when we have thousands in the wild. It's yet another one of those fixes that couldn't have been done if we shipped so long ago.

MWeston said:
We haven't seen this problem on Pandora but that is likely due to the small sample of boards we have. We've had some bad soldering issues on rev2 though, but that would just mean good USB or a dead port. I have let gigs and gigs of data transfer from one USB drive to another USB drive on a rev3 board and it wouldn't fail. Regardless of how 'lucky' I feel we are with Pandora, I still implemented the fix that TI recommended to separate the 1.8V supply to the USB PHY from the TPS65950's 1.8V supply to prevent any future problems when we have thousands in the wild. It's yet another one of those fixes that couldn't have been done if we shipped so long ago.
In a way, you are lucky for the delays. If the Pandora had shipped with this problem, you would have had some really upset customers.

moment, so that fix is implemented on REV 4? or there are still some changes to the REV 4 Board expected?

He said he implemented the fix, so since the rev 4 boards are the ones that are going to be in the final products, I think it's safe to say that they have the fix.

Back