Mould Creation Time

I'm going to be chatting to Michael tonight about the 105 boards and if we think things are ready to roll. I'd suspect we will need more testing though, it's a bit soon to call it.

craigix said:
I'm going to be chatting to Michael tonight about the 105 boards and if we think things are ready to roll. I'd suspect we will need more testing though, it's a bit soon to call it.
alright, can you make a blog update when the talking is done? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig, When you are ready to talk more, these are questions for the future.

1.) What yield % are you looking for?

2.) By more testing, does that mean Mweston would have to redesign the PCB slightly? Or is there another course of action that needs to be taken?

Again, these are just questions that could be answered later after talking with Micheal.

Gruso said:
DroneB Dev said:
hmm, mainly as a hacking Q, aprox how much space do we have inside the OP box to place electronics. (height between case n board below)
Approximately none.
I might be mistaken, but while the battery cover covers the full width of the Pandora, it doesn't cover the full depth, right? Now there are certain things 'hanging' off the bottom of the board like the USB socket and shoulder buttons, but apart from that wouldn't there be a few mm of space in front of and behind the battery? You might be able to fit some low-profile components in there. Or is there something I'm forgetting?

Phawx said:
Craig, When you are ready to talk more, these are questions for the future.

1.) What yield % are you looking for?

2.) By more testing, does that mean Mweston would have to redesign the PCB slightly? Or is there another course of action that needs to be taken?

Again, these are just questions that could be answered later after talking with Micheal.

Yield of what?

No, the PCB is solid, it's more to do with judging that the factory have got the QC right.

In EvilDragon's assembly video, you can pretty clearly see how very little room there is in there.

mostly the Q was for redesign for the Processor adding a Heat Shrink (might be able to pull up a more stable OC?)

the OP might no require it, but im used to modify heat dissipation sistems to enhance the products life

even a little of copper wires maybe soldered to the i dont know but maybe to the SD card holders could make a nice heat shrink.

with nice ventilation flow we could extend products life even more.

also the LCD lights usually get some how too hot, so lowering the temp there is also a good idea.

simple solutions always can improve products life.

mindlord said:
In EvilDragon's assembly video, you can pretty clearly see how very little room there is in there.
Yeah, you're right. The stylus breaks up the space in front of the battery, and the space behind is used by various ports and the shoulder buttons. You'd have to be pretty creative with whatever you put in there ;)

DroneB Dev said:
mostly the Q was for redesign for the Processor adding a Heat Shrink (might be able to pull up a more stable OC?)

the OP might no require it, but im used to modify heat dissipation sistems to enhance the products life

even a little of copper wires maybe soldered to the i dont know but maybe to the SD card holders could make a nice heat shrink.

with nice ventilation flow we could extend products life even more.

also the LCD lights usually get some how too hot, so lowering the temp there is also a good idea.

simple solutions always can improve products life.
You're not very familiar with ARM processors, are you?
The current specs list approximately 25 years of constant 24 hour usage at standard operation levels (although I think that was bumped up to basically the heat death of the universe, if I remember correctly)
At overclock voltages, it's estimated 5 years of constant 24 hour usage. A heat dissipation system will serve no purpose, and may actually reduce life simply by adding drain on the battery.

He's thinking of heat sink, which won't require any extra battery power.
However, I don't think the SoC will EVER become unstable due to heat dissipation.

The only problem with high clock speeds is that the transistors can't reliably switch that fast. It's not a problem of them being too hot, and adding a conductive / convective cooler such as a heat sink or fan will have absolutely no effect on how fast it can be clocked.

@craig

Yield of the first 105. Did all 105 boards survive after testing? Your response to #2 about QC could lean either way. Either the QC is too strict and they didn't approve many boards, or the QC is too loose and all 105 boards were green lit.

Provided I am assuming correctly, I eagerly await the result of your conversation with Mike.

well, actually sometimes it does affect the processor ability to work, maybe not the ARM due to its low operating temps, but ive modded several VGA cards that had passive heat-sink and gave me the ability to OC them even much more (that didnt OC before because of heat Building up so much so the machine just shut off).

and actually the heatsink might be a good thing for the battery we dont wanna dell-like bang making batts (still DK how much heat build up but i hated my old laptop that built so much heat below and couldnt use as a "lap-top"

and yet, does the batt has any shielding?, i believe charging process will also build up some heat, so my point is "Heat is BAD", and "Hot (xxxx)screen /electronics /Batts Degrade Faster (for rechargeable batts i read some article about it somewhere).

XD just watching some TV and got the Bones Xmas special.

I want my panda Before or at Xmas!!

Wow, I can't believe it's this far. I haven't posted in a while, in fact I needed to get a new password it's been so long. If everything works out ok with all the test items that you're getting now how long before you can mass produce them? This is really exciting.

Looks like 5 solder pads per Nub.
If you want any help populating the 105 boards with nubs, just send them along.
I'll solder them up, and send most of them back to you.
Thanks,
j.

borgqueenx said:
and keep 1/10th lol.

No, I'd only retain two or three boards for extended nub testing.
We need to make sure the solder holds up, you know.
I'm open for suggestions as to which nub-intensive software to use for my QC program.
Its a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

j.pickens said:
borgqueenx said:
and keep 1/10th lol.

No, I'd only retain two or three boards for extended nub testing.
We need to make sure the solder holds up, you know.
I'm open for suggestions as to which nub-intensive software to use for my QC program.
Its a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.
i doubt that they will let you do it. no offense, but i also like it if the team do's everything themselfs.(plus the factory)

Back