Merry christmas and a happy new year (2012-12-25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't know the hows or the whys, then claiming to know the whats is BS.

If you don't know why or how it works then extending it as broadly as they do is just complete BS.
Gravity. We have no idea the how, just the slightest grasp on the tail end of the why, but when you drop something it absolutely will fall in the direction of the ground, or more aptly the direction of the most massive body. Study after study has shown that massive objects pull each other together, just as study after study has found people more likely to purchase an item for $2.99 than for $3. We don't know exactly why in either case, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens.
If you're going to argue that psychological studies are BS because they can't prove everything about the results then I hope you are prepared to extend that to every region of scienc

If you don't know the hows or the whys, then claiming to know the whats is BS.

If you don't know why or how it works then extending it as broadly as they do is just complete BS.
Gravity. We have no idea the how, just the slightest grasp on the tail end of the why, but when you drop something it absolutely will fall in the direction of the ground, or more aptly the direction of the most massive body. Study after study has shown that massive objects pull each other together, just as study after study has found people more likely to purchase an item for $2.99 than for $3. We don't know exactly why in either case, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens.
If you're going to argue that psychological studies are BS because they can't prove everything about the results then I hope you are prepared to extend that to every region of science.
I'm arguing that psychological studies are bullshit because they lack any sort of scientific credibility and are notoriously unreliable. If they were using the scientific method that would be one thing, but between the sloppy methodology and poor standards you can conclude very little from them. Yes the human mind is complicated, but that's no excuse for the times  where they outright ignore results which aren't convenient.

And yes the standards are the same for all of science, which is why you can't consider psychology science. There's just too much BS involved.

I'm arguing that psychological studies are bullshit because they lack any sort of scientific credibility and are notoriously unreliable. If they were using the scientific method that would be one thing, but between the sloppy methodology and poor standards you can conclude very little from them. Yes the human mind is complicated, but that's no excuse for the times  where they outright ignore results which aren't convenient.
Psychological studies do use the scientific method though, at least in this case: Take a random person, show them an object and ask if they'd buy that object for $3. Repeat with a few thousand other people. Take another random person, show them the exact same object except ask if they'd buy it for $2.99. Repeat again with a few thousand other people. Do it again with two more groups at $3.99 and $4 respectively. The methodology is fairly sound and exactly the same as if it were a physics experiment: hypothesis, experiment, repeat, conclusion. It was found that people preferred the $2.99 over the $3, that the $3.99 was selected almost as often as the $3, and that the $4 was a major cut off point. If you say this is wrong then science disagrees with you: for some reason people prefer $X.99 vs $(X+1).00 more often than not.There is nothing to debate here, this isn't opinion, it is as much a fact as the idea that a dropped object will fall to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's definately the kind of thing we can't explain at the individual level but that is easy to prove at a statistical level...

Psychological studies do use the scientific method though, at least in this case: Take a random person, show them an object and ask if they'd buy that object for $3. Repeat with a few thousand other people. Take another random person, show them the exact same object except ask if they'd buy it for $2.99. Repeat again with a few thousand other people. Do it again with two more groups at $3.99 and $4 respectively. The methodology is fairly sound and exactly the same as if it were a physics experiment: hypothesis, experiment, repeat, conclusion. It was found that people preferred the $2.99 over the $3, that the $3.99 was selected almost as often as the $3, and that the $4 was a major cut off point. If you say this is wrong then science disagrees with you: for some reason people prefer $X.99 vs $(X+1).00 more often than not.
There is nothing to debate here, this isn't opinion, it is as much a fact as the idea that a dropped object will fall to the ground.
Mmm...  I'd amend that a bit.

It was found that typical people, with no further filtering or additional information - on average - preferred that price more than half of the time.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person - half of whom have a lower than average IQ and tend to listen to Top 40 type music.

The audience for a Pandora type console may be part of a sub-population that skews normal distributions.  If I'd hazard a guess, I'd say that they are probably:

More male than average.

Wealthier than average.

Higher educated than average.

More likely to have high speed connections than average.

More likely to self-identify as a gamer.

Older than the average self-identified gamer.

Would that audience still be easily swayed by a $19.99 price or simply be annoyed at the attempted subterfuge and mentally round it to $20?

The only way to find out would be to repeat the marketing study and ask the additional pertinent questions.  Assuming we're all lemmings for 99 pricing annoys the heck out of @10% of us.

Don't forget the unusually technically-minded and mathematically-skilled Pandora users.

The geeks with qualifications in maths, physics and engineering/CS are probably very good at seeing through the '99 trick.

Don't forget the unusually technically-minded and mathematically-skilled Pandora users.

The geeks with qualifications in maths, physics and engineering/CS are probably very good at seeing through the '99 trick.
I am not and I am studying maths ;)

I'm only just now getting around to reading through the recent updates. I have a batch 1(?) order from ED placed back in 2009. A previous thread mentioned emails getting sent out to old preorders. I don't recall seeing one and a quick search through my inbox turns up nothing since 2011. Has there been any movement on these legacy orders?

Yes, I'm through with Batch 1 in my shop, so it's very likely you didn't receive my email. Has your email address changed? Please PM me your order details, so your Pandora can be shipped.

Yes, I'm through with Batch 1 in my shop, so it's very likely you didn't receive my email. Has your email address changed? Please PM me your order details, so your Pandora can be shipped.
Done. Thanks for the quick response.

You've finished batch 1? NEWS POST TIME!

also, Craig is really breaking this whole. ED, craig, ED, craig, ED, craig flow we had going for a while.

nice, what about the rest of the forgotten people?

since we cannot get a single line of information from craig could you tell us what you have sent him lately?

That's great news. no more wait lines for you.

Ed finally time to get more sleep at night, and a little party to celebrate.

Great to see this day finally happened. Congrats man. I'll drink to that. Where's the beer

nice, what about the rest of the forgotten people?

since we cannot get a single line of information from craig could you tell us what you have sent him lately?
Shipped 23 1GHz Pandoras for him within the last 20 days as well as about 20 crossupgrades.

That's great news. no more wait lines for you.

Ed finally time to get more sleep at night, and a little party to celebrate.

Great to see this day finally happened. Congrats man. I'll drink to that. Where's the beer
Not yet, still 84 to go in my Batch 2. And I still have no idea about Craigs remaining batches :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back