Merchandise interest?

Blue Protoman

If I were to whip up some Pandora designs and stick 'em on merchandise, what would the general consensus be? I can't possibly buy the shirts and have them delivered to me, then ship them out to you; Zazzle optionally creates and sells the shirts for you, though you make less money. I don't think the money made would help OP too much, but it can be used for something else of benefit to the Pandora; software bounties. If I were to do such a thing, every dime I made off the shirt would go to software bounties; if you're willing to port or make something for X amount of dollars, this is where the money'd come from! Alternatively, I could approach a certain dev and offer them some cash if they port this or that (consensus permitting, of course). This would be a great way to stimulate some software (and finally get that port of Final Burn Alpha). Now, if I get $2-3 profit a pop, that's not gonna cover too much, but a little can go a long way. If this were to get off the ground, then I'd figure out some system to streamline the process. Since I'd be getting the money, I'd be the bank manager, though of course you guys would have most of the say in what gets done with it.

I just need to figure out how I can easily create designs; I've already got some ideas involving some inside jokes (myself included ;) ). I'd have to get permission from Craig or ED, though I'm sure they wouldn't object. This isn't Apple, you know.

With that in mind, I'd like to hear these answers from you;

• What sort of Pandora merchandise would you buy? (Zazzle's got a list of products.)
  • What would you NOT buy?
  • How much would you be willing to pay? (Preferably in USD.)
  • If there are variations on something (such as a shirt), what kinds would you buy? (Men's, women's, polos, tees, dark, light, etc.)
  • What's your shirt size?
  • If you've got an idea, would you mind sharing it?
  • Do you think you would buy more than one item?
  • Do you think you could either convince others to buy some or give some merch out as gifts?
  • Are there programs/games/etc that you'd be willing to pay for a port of?

This is still an idea, but I'd like to hear some thoughts. Just remember that any merch would be aimed squarely at this community.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's already a thread about this located here where many of your questions have already been answered.

i wouldnt buy anything with any mention of you on it

I figured as much.

Prometheus: Huh. I'll look at that, I guess. But my merch would be focused on software bounties, not giving money to OP themselves. My thread still stands.

EDIT: So I looked into it. I decided that over the next few days I'll whip up some mockups, post snapshots, and see what you guys like. I plan on doing more than just slapping a logo onto a shirt; I can think of several witty phrases. For example, on an apron, I'd put "Kiss the Dev" on it.

EDIT: So I looked into it. I decided that over the next few days I'll whip up some mockups, post snapshots, and see what you guys like. I plan on doing more than just slapping a logo onto a shirt; I can think of several witty phrases. For example, on an apron, I'd put "Kiss the Dev" on it.
I'm not entirely sure that that's witty. :p

But seriously, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

8vS8H.png

Now how would I go about getting permission? My mom thinks that OpenPandora is Apple and is so very against me using the logo. She also thinks that it's Apple in that the company is apparently more significant than the community (apparently, it doesn't matter that the community basically made OpenPandora). I know that this is very rarely the case, but OpenPandora is very rarely. I don't wanna start until I know that my efforts won't be a waste of time.

I know where I can find the logo. I'll try and contact ED first, he seems to be easier to get a hold of.

We tried this before, with in the thread mentioned before and one that was running contemporaneously. We recieved no reply to several messages to both Craig and ED (re use of the logo or even a general approval), and so the idea was abandoned.

This also fits with a comment by ED in one of the threads that ED has connections for doing shirts much cheaper than any online retailer anyway, and this makes me think that they either have some plan for merchandising in the works already or just want to wait until more orders have been fulfilled.

To be honest, all those so-called funny phrases are not very funny. Especially to people outside the community it just doesn't make any sense at all. A simple logo and a few silly words are not going to generate any good vibrations to outsiders. Not that I have anything against that combination though. It's probably very cool for some people, but if the purpose of the merchandise would be to generate money and good vibrations throughout the whole Pandora community, I suggest people come up with something a little more fancy than that.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if someone outside of OpenPandora should create such a merchandise store. Preferably I'd like to see OpenPandora profit from the sold merchandise, and not some random person who says he/she is a developer and needs the money. OpenPandora should eventually decide who gets what from the generated money. And of course the people who manage the store should get their fair share for all the hard work.

Back