Media and Press - who should we contact?

^ I'd love to see great stuff like The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, Downwell, N Game, Serpent of the Staglands, Bulb Boy, Dungeons of Dredmore, Driftmoon, Revenge of the Titans etc.
Having some of those titles would be a boon for sales. Anything with a name basically thats not easily available on mobile devices.

* Australian magazines/related news sites:
PC World (http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/)
APC and TechLife (Sister magazines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TechLife.)
PC Authority
Popular Science (Australian branch. They always cover many technological gadgets!)

- Gaming-focused:
Hyper (All gaming platforms. Sister mag of PC Authority.)
PC Powerplay (Very desktop PC-focused. But they may review your Pyra in their miscellaneous hardware page and perhaps yearly buy feature.)

* UK mags/sites:
PC Format (Future plc. Very desktop PC-focused. But could still cover this hardware piece! Also try their sister online tech review site TechRadar, which will very likely review your Pyra hardware!)

- Gaming-focused:
Retro Gamer (Imagine Publishing)
GamesTM and RETRO (Imagine Publishing. RETRO is their annual volume bookazines featuring the retro section at the rear of each GamesTM issue.)
NowGamer (Imagine Publishing. Online-focused review site.)
Linux User & Developer (Imagine Publishing. You could try this - may increase Pyra's broad appeal.)
PC Gamer (Very desktop PC-focused. But they may review your Pyra otherwise.)

* News sites:
- Gaming-focused:
Retro Collect (They've reviewed other portable/home-based emulation-based hardware devices. They'll likely review your Pyra device!)

People keep suggesting review sites. Keep in mind ED won't have any units to send out for review until *after* the first batch is produced. (all the prototypes are accounted for)

-Neelix

@Grench : I've responded to this post here.

Now back on topic, how about Ars Technica as a potential site to contact, they ran a few pieces about the Pandora when it was in the pre prototype phase so they may well be willing to run an article on Pyra especially as there is a working prototype and funding for mass production.

I have something that is between a notion and an idea, and it's also half-baked, so feel free to dismiss it as one.

I am basing the following on the assumption that the Pyra can be customised and tweaked into a privacy fortress for those who require guaranteed anonymity and protection from surveilance, such as political dissidents in oppressive regimes, whistleblowers etc. It can be encrypted, it can be as secure as the distro it is running, it is immune to the majority of spyware geared towards the major OS platforms, the user controls where the device boots from, and it has incredible connectivity options.
Wouldn't it be awesome if people like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange or otherwise privacy-conscious organisations would declare their interest in a concealable gadget that has been designed and built outside of walled gardens, and thus guaranteed to be free from embedded spyware? Millions of people are following the twitter feeds of the people listed above, but I am not saying that we should approach them for an endorsement. Maybe just make them somehow aware of the Pyra's and Pandora's existence.

Just a few thoughts...

Wouldn't it be awesome if people like Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning, Julian Assange or otherwise privacy-conscious organisations would declare their interest in a concealable gadget that has been designed and built outside of walled gardens, and thus guaranteed to be free from embedded spyware? Millions of people are following the twitter feeds of the people listed above, but I am not saying that we should approach them for an endorsement. Maybe just make them somehow aware of the Pyra's and Pandora's existence.
Please, no!
More people knowing about a little privacy fortress result in more people (likely including the oppressive governments) attacking/hacking it.
In this case, it's best for us to keep a low profile so that things may stay as private as possible.

Please, no!
More people knowing about a little privacy fortress result in more people (likely including the oppressive governments) attacking/hacking it.
In this case, it's best for us to keep a low profile so that things may stay as private as possible.
Now I had to imagine that the gaming controls and upcoming emulators are just disguise, whilst most 'customers' are in fact members of a secret society trying to
take down NSA, Google, etc. and/or want to gain world domination.
I've definitely been playing way too much Deus Ex lately.

Last edited:
Please, no!

Now I had to imagine that the gaming controls and upcoming emulators are just disguise, whilst most 'customers' are in fact members of a secret society trying to
take down NSA, Google, etc. and/or want to gain world domination.

Both thoughts crossed my mind after posting, actually! Hence the "half-baked" characterisation.

I can objectively prove that this is not the case.

Suppose you've been playing way too much Deus Ex lately. From this we can conclude that it is possible to play too much Deus Ex.
This is obviously a contradiction. Therefore the original premise is false and thus you've not been playing too much Deus Ex lately.
Q.E.D.

my 2cents on that privacy thingy...
when one is on nsa's target-list, it's really good opsec to avoid current 3g/4g baseband chips entirely.
this was stated by jacob appelbaum for example, he is on just that list and has seen some docs that are not entirely published by now.

i'm pretty sure these days a lot of intentionally inserted backdoors are in the chips itself, operating at a lower level than the os reaches.
there is no security/privacy for the user when the attacker has enough knowledge/money. nsa et al has nearly unlimited funds, because getting all
information from every user everywhere is at the core of being 'the most powerfull'.

on the other hand i belive that the pyra is way more secure using 3g/4g with it's debian os and off-switchable modem than any other
smartphone currently out there. (maybe these rhode&schwarz cryptohandys etc. are more secure, but they are more prime
targets, so who knows...)

it's really a difficult topic, because getting *all* information is *the primary top* interest for the most powerfull players out there and
we, the users, have to use comercially available closed hardware/chips one just can't trust, operating over telco-infrastructures one just can't trust
knowing that the spooks of this planet have all the money they want, and the politics/companies *really* want our data.
so what can possibly go wrong? ;)

but we have to resist this chilling effect and build own chips (fpga?) with open specs one can trust again and we need an open, decentral communication network
operated by users in citizen hand, completely encrypted etc.
so way to go! lets start! :)

in the end it's a cultural problem not a technical one. people are greedy and want to own the world, thats the real problem we have, but fixing that is nearly
impossible without destroying our own race, right?

btw. this years republica opening-keynote speech from eben moglen was great! check it out on youtube if you like.

stop now with my paranoid/stupid ramblings! ;)

Last edited:
@rSl 20 years ago I used to think like that. Everyone thought I was crazy. It is too late for me now, and I now lack the interest in trying to make it happen. Fortunately, more people seem open to this kind of idea now.

@rSl 20 years ago I used to think like that. Everyone thought I was crazy. It is too late for me now, and I now lack the interest in trying to make it happen. Fortunately, more people seem open to this kind of idea now.

yeah, i understand verry well...
for me it started all around 14 years ago when i stumbled upon duncan campbell's "interception capabilities 2000" eu-report, which disclosed the echelon project.

i was hooked and alarmed and in this time i was 'the paranoid one' to the others too. (this was all in the post 9/11 craze) but i knew i was right and kept on going, eventually have convinced some people to care more about their privacy.

then came the data retention law here in germany and i was one of the many that went to court against it. we won!
but sadly since last year we have this law again (they changed it, to save the data directly at the telcos, what a great idea!) and we have to crush this rule again.
this is a verry nerving uphill battle, we need this longtail strategy, because we can only get some small victories and then the rouge govs will change it again.

well this is the game, we have to make it harder for them, so please get a little bit in action again.
the sad thing is, that when we will not do it, nobody does.
after snowden it was somewhat trendy (which was good!) to be against this thing, now after the 'summmer of 2013' *we* have to carry on...

it takes 10 years to claim a small victory, so we have to do it besides our 'normal' lives to be functional over a longer period of time. just as we buy the bio/organic food in the shops we have to make changes in buying tech and telco contracts and support the resistance against this bigdata-regime peacefully and with creativity.

to change something we have to *be* 'the change'.
on every single day we live, maybe someone understands and does it too, this is the most we can do, i think.

'the others' have to do it because they want, we don't have to pressure them, because of this freedom of thoughts thingie.
all we can do is inform them and get frustrated that they 'do not wake up', right?
at this time the world is in big change to transfer to a digitally organized one, we have to shape it a lttle bit like we want it, because govs and companies give a shit about our lives and our way of living.
so the old unix saying 'live free or die!' still applies here i think! :)

Last edited:
I just noticed ED posted another video on YouTube:
This should be a bit more suitable for promoting the Pyra than that early prototype video.

Back