Media and Press - who should we contact?

Any Linux distro's forum seems like a good place to share the info by community members. Best advertisement is still word of mouth.

The maemo community also seems to be open minded about the pyra. They already discussed about it a bit, but it might be a good idea to make a more comprehensive posting about the it there or just answer some questions of the users. I'm not sure how it looks to create an account just for promoting, but maybe someone here is already registered there?

The maemo community also seems to be open minded about the pyra. They already discussed about it a bit

I am a member there and already discussed it (in another section/thread) that community is already covered imo. Some members even mentioned they would pre-order.

It's a long shot but maybe LinusTechTips? They probably want a review sample but they could cover it on their WAN show (hour long news segment every Friday).

I'm still a bit grumpy with Phoronix after the terrible Pyra coverage, try again from our end or abandon ship?

I am a member there and already discussed it (in another section/thread) that community is already covered imo. Some members even mentioned they would pre-order.
I specifically linked this section because there is a pending question in the last posting of the Handheld gnu/linux Thread, and the answer could very well lead to an additional preorder or maybe even more.

It's a long shot but maybe LinusTechTips? They probably want a review sample but they could cover it on their WAN show (hour long news segment every Friday).

I'm still a bit grumpy with Phoronix after the terrible Pyra coverage, try again from our end or abandon ship?

I'd say you are likely wasting your time with LinusTechTips. this guy is a Windows-lover to the bone.

I'd say you are likely wasting your time with LinusTechTips. this guy is a Windows-lover to the bone.

Yes he definitely is, he has used Linux based software before in scenarios when Windows didn't quite cut it but that's about it. My bet however is on Luke, who seems to like niche products and will go to great lengths to understand them. For instance, Luke made a positive review of the Steam controller because be realized it was made to solve a different problem than traditional controllers and treated it as such. I think he also had some good non-mainstream opinions on Steam machines (and SteamOS) but I could be mixing him up with someone else on that. So while he's also biased towards Windows he does have a good mindset for realizing the potential of the Pyra.

It's not like we can pick and choose who we want to read the press material but LTT has a pretty big YouTube audience, if they do run the story I think we're probably going to see a noticeable increase in interest.

Hi all :)

What about slashdot.org, osnews.com, Debian forums (already mentioned), lgdb.org and other Linux gaming websites, pdroms.de, the Amiga community (portable Amiga was a big motivation for the Pandora, remember ? ), French Linux Magazine and related publications (Open Silicium, etc...) ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

http://tweakers.net/
Biggest tech site in the Netherlands, also having significant audience from dutch speaking part of Belgium

http://linuxmag.nl/
One and only Linux magazine in the Netherlands, 6 editions per year.
NB interview/article with ED that time convinced me to preorder the Pandora

its not a website, but have you send news around on the various emaillists you have?
(this is how I heart about the (rebirth) Openpandora at the time)

I specifically linked this section because there is a pending question in the last posting of the Handheld gnu/linux Thread, and the answer could very well lead to an additional preorder or maybe even more.

Yes, you're right and that is exactly the thread I have mentioned the Pyra a few times. I don't think I am going to answer that though. I have already 'spammed' the board enough - the question wasn't directed at me so jumping in again might start to annoy people. The answer to that question can be answered by anyone.

As others have said, regional Linux magazines (I think I see 2 magazines when I stop by my local book store), general Linux news sites and forums. I mentioned LinuxQuestions.org the other day, as someone has mentioned it in the past (@Linux-SWAT was that you, in the Slackware area?) But it had been awhile when I last checked. I don't want to bring it up since I am only a lurker, and don't want to be mistaken for a spammer. Although distro specific forums may be ok I think the target should be places for enthusiasts.

Additionally, anywhere that people into technology with an open mind or different take on things gather. I was thinking 2600 and such, but I think you have to have a subscription to advertise in 2600. Since the magazine consists of reader articles, maybe ED or one of the people that works more behind the scenes can throw together something about what got us this far. It is only a quarterly magazine, so that will take time to pay off.

There are a bunch of gaming and retro gaming forums where I don't think it would hurt to mention it, but I am drawing a black on names right now. I will try to find some of the ones I used to check out and bring a few names back.

Unfortunately, very few of the places I frequent would be interested in the Pyra.

@EvilDragon : I'd strongly recommend you answer the questions & consider the suggestions raised in this thread before attempting mass publicity for the Pyra. If I came to the project without much knowledge and saw that over 97.5% of orders were for the 4GB version but 'It's not 100% clear that we'll create a 4GB RAM version, so if we won't produce one, you'll (FILL IN THE BLANK) the 2GB version.' But with no indication when you planned to test if the 4GB version worked or explain the actual differences in performance & battery life then it would raise a massive 'red flag'.

As would the lack of clarity regarding delivery charges, some people like to know exactly what the final cost will be before parting with a down payment.

etc.

As for who to contact then Reddit seems a good bet to me, there are plenty of relevant subreddits with a large number of subscribers, /r/linux, /r/linux_gaming & /r/linux_devices spring to mind. A quick look at /r/linux_devices shows that the Pyra has already been mentioned there, however it seems clear the bad memories associated with Pandora are still having some effect.

Back