Media and Press - who should we contact?

@Mr_Loon that things are not sure yet shouldn't be a problem imo, as long as you explain it or link to a link with all the info. If you are open about the status of the project and current uncertainties I don't think it will lead to unsatisfied customers. The kind of device the Pyra is will already filter out any impulsive purchase.

I agree reddit is a good site to promote the product. Anyone member there could add some comments. No need to wait for ED.

I was also thinking about contacting a podcast like the very popular 99% invisible that is all about design but even more about stories. The making of Pandora / Pyra is a great story with tons of drama and will be perfect for that show. That might be done by ED but probably even better if it is a member with a good English persuasive skillset and ability to provide a brief but entertaining pitch http://99percentinvisible.org/about/contact/.

@Mr_Loon that things are not sure yet shouldn't be a problem imo, as long as you explain it or link to a link with all the info. If you are open about the status of the project and current uncertainties I don't think it will lead to unsatisfied customers. The kind of device the Pyra is will already filter out any impulsive purchase.

I agree reddit is a good site to promote the product. Anyone member there could add some comments. No need to wait for ED.

I was also thinking about contacting a podcast like the very popular 99% invisible that is all about design but even more about stories. The making of Pandora / Pyra is a great story with tons of drama and will be perfect for that show. That might be done by ED but probably even better if it is a member with a good English persuasive skillset and ability to provide a brief but entertaining pitch http://99percentinvisible.org/about/contact/.

I've made a similar pitch to the YT channel of Tek Syndicate. I hope that some sentences I've written can be of use to the media campaign, I've posted my message to them here.

Should we have some kind of official hashtag? Like #Pyra or something, so it's easier for people to short throw social media to see what people are saying about it. I have suggested to Jupiter Brodcast about interviewing ED, because they where talking a lot about Linux hardware at the time, however I don't think I ever got a official reply about it. Here is the reddit post I did https://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxActionShow/comments/1xvybx/pocket_gaming_linux_computer/

When can we get a video demo of the prototype. That's what I'm waiting on. Far easier to win people with a short video of a working prototype. The specs are one thing, other than that, all people want to see is vid of it .

That's exactly what I'm suggesting, not that you hide the uncertainties but explain them.

If I came without much knowledge, liked the look of the 4GB version, checked the number of orders so far and saw 97% + were for the 4GB version but then read 'It's not 100% clear that we'll create a 4GB RAM version, so if we won't produce one, you'll (FILL IN THE BLANK) the 2GB version.'

I'd be thinking 'what the merry hell is that all about' I would not assume that there could even be a possibility that the 4GB configuration might not work with the hardware. In fact I'd probably assume it was a typo error where the 4GB and 2GB had been mistakenly transposed in the sentence.

Things like delivery charges should be made clear from the start IMHO. Even if it's just 'delivery is not included in the asking price, we use courier X the package will weigh Y please check LINK HERE as to what delivery would cost to your country'.

The thing that got me into buying the Pandora was the 30 days video thing. Maybe you don't need to do that many videos but a nice series showing off some of the things it could do will get people interested. But I'm sure we are gonna get videos in the future anyways

When can we get a video demo of the prototype. That's what I'm waiting on. Far easier to win people with a short video of a working prototype. The specs are one thing, other than that, all people want to see is vid of it .

@Djhg2000

I meant of course, a vid of the completed prototype. I'm aware of that one you showed, it's not something you want to show people with its lack of nubs , rear badge, and sticky tape holding it together. Not to mention all the other physical issues pointed out in the vid.

I'd be thinking 'what the merry hell is that all about' I would not assume that there could even be a possibility that the 4GB configuration might not work with the hardware. In fact I'd probably assume it was a typo error where the 4GB and 2GB had been mistakenly transposed in the sentence.

Let's make sure that the order of events is understood.

You DEMANDED that a 4GB version be evaluated and offered. You made very loud and public claims that 2GB was inadequate.
ED evaluated parts availability and a chip with double the RAM density was available. It is a simple substitution with like-like parts. Since it really -should- work he moved forward with this spec, and a caveat that if, on the off chance, it doesn't work then there would be an adjustment.

It is pretty much the same situation with the eMMC being used for production is different than the eMMC used on the initial prototype run. They're different capacities but otherwise the same - does that need to be specially tested too for you?

Now you are DEMANDING, in the NEWS forum, that a prototype board run, at a cost in the range of 15.000 EUR, be executed to validate the hardware spec. Just scheduling that can take a month. This is a like-part substitution on the board spec. It should not require a new prototype run.

Is it your goal in life to add confusion and skepticism? Are you trying to derail the project? What you're writing into this news forum is going to be among the first stop for reporters to scan community reactions.

You are making a proverbial mountain out of a mole hill again. Last time they obliged your demands because the parts became available to do it. Now you're demanding that the project derail by a month and spend 15.000 EUR unnecessarily to satisfy your concerns. Those concerns are because of changes that YOU demanded in the first place.

WTF? Can ya give it a break dude?

In another thread I posted this:

@EvilDragon

There is a reasonably popular YouTube channel called Computerphile that you may want to contact. Their videos cover a wide spectrum within Computer Science, including the history of Bell Labs, the halting problem, buffer overflow attacks, the difference between a CPU and a GPU and the history of ARM and RISC. I imagine that they would be quite happy to interview you (as an "amateur") about the Pandora, the Pyra and the details of making a mobile device etc. -- that is, stuff similar to what you have told this community already, but in a condensed form of 10-30 minutes. You should expect to get between 50 000 and 100 000 views in 2 to 3 weeks so... I have no idea how many would "convert", but perhaps a thousand may go to your website and a hundred would order a Pyra?

In the past they have had a walk around a server room owned by a particular company -- obviously the company is willing to show them as they can talk about what they do and get publicity. They have talked with various people involved with ARM, who sometimes say things like "we at ARM" etc.. The bulk of the video would be about ED's experiences getting to Pandora and Pyra produced, with the devices themselves merely (but sufficiently) described for context. ED could also talk about the Pandora's community etc. etc. etc.. There is plenty of worthy content for Computerphile, while giving ED (and therefore the Pyra) some publicity. They already have a video called "life of an indie app developer", so why not "life of an indie hardware manufacturer"?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/
and
http://www.notebookreview.com
are my favorite sites, and they also review handheld devices.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
Yupp, notebookcheck is a great site I also wanted to suggest. They do very detailed tests, also often including stuff like noise and heat emmision from Laptops, detailed infos about the screens used in mobile devices and so on. :)

some of these sites might be great once we have some of the kinks ironed out.

Besides the two SDXC slots it also has an internal micro SDXC slot for even more storage. Also, it might be worth mentioning the 6000mAh battery. I think the typical slashdot crowd likes numbers.

@Djhg2000

I meant of course, a vid of the completed prototype. I'm aware of that one you showed, it's not something you want to show people with its lack of nubs , rear badge, and sticky tape holding it together. Not to mention all the other physical issues pointed out in the vid.

Sorry, I haven't really been myself during the last few days of dealing with an intense cold. I must've misunderstood what you meant and I totally agree on that we need a new video for promoting the Pyra.

Sorry, I haven't really been myself during the last few days of dealing with an intense cold. I must've misunderstood what you meant and I totally agree on that we need a new video for promoting the Pyra.
Get well soon! I also agree. In fact, I think we should have a proper "commercial", to use the US term.

i e-mailed the (unreleased game) Mother 4 guys, and i may have given ptitSeb more work if they are willing to let someone port it to the Pyra (when it's finished)...

[edit] not exactly media per se, but i figured it would be good press to have some fun games for the Pyra, too, maybe preinstalled if allowed/possible/desired.

Last edited:
Back